Watercooling and noise

Before I add a watercooled case to my shopping list, can anyone tell me whether watercooling is significantly quieter than using a conventional HSF?

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey W,

If you don't OC, no it is not a lot quieter than a much Hotter running air-cooled system. If you do OC, F*** yeah it is much quieter! Have you heard what a 7000+ rpm CPU HSF sounds like? Even with all the fastest fans, & a well designed Aluminium case, a well made water-cooled system will run so much cooler, not just quieter than a air-cooled system.

Peace Out............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
yeah.. definatley water cooling is a lot less noisier than air cooling...I have both in my system, and i cannot hear the pump at all. I've even turned on the pump out of the case and it's barely audible. I'd reccomend it.

Time is the best teacher... unfortunatly, it kills all of its students.

aikman

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
I just put up a watercooling solution, one reason being the noise. A LOT less noisy, but not noiseless.

If you want a really low-noise system, you'd have to watercool graphics card and possibly disks, too. That way you could get rid (almost) all of the fans, possibly only needing the (preferably adjustable) fan on PSU - and on radiator, if you use that type of watercooling.

EARTH.INI corrupted, cannot find GOD.SYS. Reboot universe? (Yes/No/Ignore)

I do want to do some overclocking (probably nothing too extreme), and I am looking at watercooling the graphics card and hard drive too. I'm going for a 430W Enermax Whisper PSU.

At the moment I'm using an XP 1800+ but I want a system that can support new processors like the Hammer without having a crazy HSF to keep it cool.

I just wish I could afford a Vapochill case....hmmmm....

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....