Athlon XP 1800+ ASUS A7V333 crashing, Temperature?

sys14

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
I got a athlon xp 1800+ and a7v333 motherboard. It runs well in 3 weeks. But suddenly crashed on last sunday. I checked bios hardware monitor, cpu temperature is 75C, just over the warning temperature. So, i turned the machine off, after 10 minutes, i turned it on. i found it heat up very quickly. went to 60c in 5 mintues. I thought it's because of my mini tower case. Then, i went out, bought two chassis fans. One is in the front, the other is in the back. I thought it's going to be OK now. But i was wrong, the cpu temperature was still very high, and crashed my machine at the first time i restarted it. I was totally frustrated.

Im wondering, what caused it? I think it's CPU heat sink or fan's problem? the fan is working well, is arround 5000RPM. Or it is because the thermal pad? Athlon XP attached a piece of pink pad, and i heard it can be used only once? When I pull the HSF apart from the cpu, i saw the pink paste is all arround the cpu other than on the chip... maybe i should buy some artic silver 3?

I really have no idea what should I do. Why the pc was running ok before, but went down suddenly. and What's the best solution?

Thanks

aikman

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
1. What's the ambient temperature in the room, and inside the case?
2. How hot is you PSU? Generic under-powered ones tend to run hot.
3. Has there been any change in positioning of PC, or have you added components (like another CD-drive)? Cables are neatly tucked away, right?

And: since you have taken the HSF off the CPU, clean up the pink stuff and replace it with thermal paste. AS3 is good, but even it doesn't help more than a few degrees compared to regular thermal paste.

EARTH.INI corrupted, cannot find GOD.SYS. Reboot universe? (Yes/No/Ignore)

sys14

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
1. 24-26C, and the mother board temperature is always 35-36C
2. is PSU for Power Supply Unit? it's quite hot after i put Athlon XP in, but before, it was ok.
3. Yes, i changed the position and put a SCSI card into the case, but there is still a lot space in side the case. Except one point, since it's a mini tower case. The power supply is right above CPU, and i've installed a Slot Fan to pull more air from the cpu.

:~ is 60C too high for a Athlon XP?

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
if you are ruunning your cpu at 60 in bios, and 75 in window, then you are frying it. get some arctic silver 3 and the proper application instruction. and get a better hsf, you should run the cpu at around 50 in a minni tower.

aikman

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
1. 24-26C, and the mother board temperature is always 35-36C
* Ok, at least this is ok.

2. is PSU for Power Supply Unit? it's quite hot after i put Athlon XP in, but before, it was ok.
* I had similar problem. I had an 650MHz Athlon on 250W generic PSU, and it was ok. When I swapped to Athlon 1800+ XP, PSU was insufficient, and it heated up tremendously. I upgraded to a 350W Enermax, and it runs quite cool. See below for further comments, though!

3. Yes, i changed the position and put a SCSI card into the case, but there is still a lot space in side the case. Except one point, since it's a mini tower case. The power supply is right above CPU, and i've installed a Slot Fan to pull more air from the cpu.
* Again, same thing here. Mini towers are problematic. And, you got that hot PSU right hanging above the HSF, so it heats up the air blown into HSF. All extra devices create heat, but the temp inside the case isn't bad. More problematic can be the effect cables have on airflow.

First a word of caution; I've been there. I upgraded from Athlon 650MHz to 1800+ XP, and it took over a month until I got all the problems sorted out. First it was heat, which I sorted out with exhaust fan on top of the case. This increased the power consumption so that there wasn't enought of it ( hence; random crashes). After changing power supply, I again had overheating problems. You see, my new Enermax PSU has an intake fan as well as the standard exhaust fan. This hanged right above the HSF, and "stole" a lot of the air which was supposed to go to HSF (they sort of cancelled each out). I finally went the watery way!

Alright, then some suggestions. This is a bit lenghty but bear with me.

Problem is you can't get enough cool air to HSF, and you don't get the hot air out. Best solution would probably be a new, larger case, with a more powerful, quality PSU, and possibly an exhaust fan above PSU.

If that is out of the question, try to make sure that airflow to HSF is as uninterrupted as possible. Put one or two fans blowing air in at the bottom of the case. Tubing would be useful, if you can fit it in.

Then, if that wasn't enough, put an exhaust fan somewhere up in the case (since you have a minitower, that could be difficult. I actually had to cut a 120mm hole on top of my case!)

And finally, remember that the fans also need power. So, if your PSU is already at its limits, fans could topple it (which mean odd crashes when using power-hungry software, like 3D-games).

Hope you get it working!

sys14

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002
Thank you very much for your reply! I really appreciate these nice informations.

Now, i found it is really a very serious problem, and i m just wondering why it is so hard to deal with athlon xp :~~~, how about those brand systems? how compaq, ibm, hp make their pc?

Now i am going to change the case, and will buy a bigger chassis fan...

Another question, the +12V power on my board seems little bit higher, ASUS probe indicates it is always arround +13V, is that dangerous? it's caused by CPU or Mainboard?

Thanks again

aikman

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
Glad I could help.

I've been wondering that brand-thingy myself. We use IBM desktops in our office, and at least in those systems they've set up a kind of tubing to lead the cool air onto HSF. Also, Intel's 13-micron CPUs run a bit cooler than 18-micron Athlons.

I saw you already got a reply on your PSU-related question.