Configuring Fax on Windows XP Pro

I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
this error:
Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!
3 answers Last reply
More about configuring windows

    That means the the tabletpc.inf file is not on your harddrive. You'll have to
    extract it from either the bin directory, probably under I386 (you can run a
    search of your harddrive for it, or from your XP installation CD.
    Go to the following:
    Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
    Within the window you'll see a button "Expand file", click it and fill in the
    blocks. Put the file under C:\Windows\inf
    Without the inf file, your fax will not run.

    "armyjim_2000" wrote:

    > I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
    > control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
    > this error:
    > Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
    > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
    > What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!

    OK, how do I run a search for it? My installation CD is in storage out in
    another state, so that option is out.

    "Byte" wrote:

    > That means the the tabletpc.inf file is not on your harddrive. You'll have to
    > extract it from either the bin directory, probably under I386 (you can run a
    > search of your harddrive for it, or from your XP installation CD.
    > Go to the following:
    > Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
    > Within the window you'll see a button "Expand file", click it and fill in the
    > blocks. Put the file under C:\Windows\inf
    > Without the inf file, your fax will not run.
    >
    > "armyjim_2000" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
    > > control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
    > > this error:
    > > Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
    > > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
    > > What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!

    That's cute. As I stated, look for i386 directory.
    Just go to: Start>Search>files and folders>type i386 and press OK
    It should come up with several hits.
    Select the one either under C:\ or C:\Windows or C\Windows\System32
    If the inf file is within that directory it will extract it for you.
    Otherwise, you could try a friends XP CD and it may work for you.

    "armyjim_2000" wrote:

    > OK, how do I run a search for it? My installation CD is in storage out in
    > another state, so that option is out.
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    > > That means the the tabletpc.inf file is not on your harddrive. You'll have to
    > > extract it from either the bin directory, probably under I386 (you can run a
    > > search of your harddrive for it, or from your XP installation CD.
    > > Go to the following:
    > > Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
    > > Within the window you'll see a button "Expand file", click it and fill in the
    > > blocks. Put the file under C:\Windows\inf
    > > Without the inf file, your fax will not run.
    > >
    > > "armyjim_2000" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm having a problem configuring the fax on Windows XP Pro. When I go to the
    > > > control panel, open it up and try to add/remove windows components, I get
    > > > this error:
    > > > Setup was unable to open information file tabletpc.inf.
    > > > Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x1e at line 0.
    > > > What's going on here? This is an urgent plea for help!

Fax Microsoft Windows XP