Print queue problem, not the ususal one!

Hi,
We have a real mess on our hands and no one can figure it out. We have an
HP Laserjet 3320 multifunction on a network and all was well. We then
decided to add an HP photosmart 2710 multifunction to the network so we could
print and scan in colour. BIG MISTAKE. Besides the fact the £%*)("~'# thing
wouldn't install properly on any machine, it completely screwed up the
Laserjet. What happens now is that the print queue doesn't clear after it
prints. It prints fine, but the job stays in the print queue, which means
the next time someone prints to the laserjet, it reprints everything. It's
been spewing out paper like a demonic machine. The only way to purge the
print queue is to manually delete it which it does with no problem. So it
isn't the normal problem of trying to delete the job and it won't, it just
doesn't go away in the first place. Been on the phone for hours with HP
support, they couldn't solve any of the problems. I know it is the software
for the 2710 that messed things up because I gave up installing it after 4
machines failed and they are the only machines that have that problem. I
managed a system restore on one and the problem stopped so I know that's what
changed it. Only problem is I don't know what it changed! I have
uninstalled both printers, used the scrubbing utilities on the disks for
both, deleted the registry keys and even the port the 2710 created but we
still have the same problem when I reinstalled the Laserjet. I have tried a
system restore on the other computers but it fails everytime and I have gone
thru all the help advice offered for this problem. None of the restore
points work. So I am stuck with this corrupt print problem and I don't even
know where to look or what to do! Checked the event log and the only thing it
registers is the printing job was purged. The settings for the port are the
same as on the other machines. We can print fine with the Laserjet, but we
just have to remember to delete it each time which is a pain. Anyone have
any ideas? I would be very grateful
thanks
Wendie
10 answers Last reply
More about print queue problem ususal

    Have you already unchecked Bidirectional in the Printer Properties, Ports
    tab of the LaserJet?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "bg" <bg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > We have a real mess on our hands and no one can figure it out. We have an
    > HP Laserjet 3320 multifunction on a network and all was well. We then
    > decided to add an HP photosmart 2710 multifunction to the network so we
    could
    > print and scan in colour. BIG MISTAKE. Besides the fact the £%*)("~'#
    thing
    > wouldn't install properly on any machine, it completely screwed up the
    > Laserjet. What happens now is that the print queue doesn't clear after it
    > prints. It prints fine, but the job stays in the print queue, which means
    > the next time someone prints to the laserjet, it reprints everything.
    It's
    > been spewing out paper like a demonic machine. The only way to purge the
    > print queue is to manually delete it which it does with no problem. So it
    > isn't the normal problem of trying to delete the job and it won't, it just
    > doesn't go away in the first place. Been on the phone for hours with HP
    > support, they couldn't solve any of the problems. I know it is the
    software
    > for the 2710 that messed things up because I gave up installing it after 4
    > machines failed and they are the only machines that have that problem. I
    > managed a system restore on one and the problem stopped so I know that's
    what
    > changed it. Only problem is I don't know what it changed! I have
    > uninstalled both printers, used the scrubbing utilities on the disks for
    > both, deleted the registry keys and even the port the 2710 created but we
    > still have the same problem when I reinstalled the Laserjet. I have tried
    > system restore on the other computers but it fails everytime and I have
    gone
    > thru all the help advice offered for this problem. None of the restore
    > points work. So I am stuck with this corrupt print problem and I don't
    even
    > know where to look or what to do! Checked the event log and the only thing
    it
    > registers is the printing job was purged. The settings for the port are
    the
    > same as on the other machines. We can print fine with the Laserjet, but
    we
    > just have to remember to delete it each time which is a pain. Anyone have
    > any ideas? I would be very grateful
    > thanks
    > Wendie

    Hi Alan,
    Thanks for answering, no I haven't tried that because it was ticked on the
    other machines. How does that work? I'll give it a try on Monday when we are
    back in the office but I would like to know if you have a moment what that
    actually does.
    Thanks
    Wendie

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > Have you already unchecked Bidirectional in the Printer Properties, Ports
    > tab of the LaserJet?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "bg" <bg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > We have a real mess on our hands and no one can figure it out. We have an
    > > HP Laserjet 3320 multifunction on a network and all was well. We then
    > > decided to add an HP photosmart 2710 multifunction to the network so we
    > could
    > > print and scan in colour. BIG MISTAKE. Besides the fact the £%*)("~'#
    > thing
    > > wouldn't install properly on any machine, it completely screwed up the
    > > Laserjet. What happens now is that the print queue doesn't clear after it
    > > prints. It prints fine, but the job stays in the print queue, which means
    > > the next time someone prints to the laserjet, it reprints everything.
    > It's
    > > been spewing out paper like a demonic machine. The only way to purge the
    > > print queue is to manually delete it which it does with no problem. So it
    > > isn't the normal problem of trying to delete the job and it won't, it just
    > > doesn't go away in the first place. Been on the phone for hours with HP
    > > support, they couldn't solve any of the problems. I know it is the
    > software
    > > for the 2710 that messed things up because I gave up installing it after 4
    > > machines failed and they are the only machines that have that problem. I
    > > managed a system restore on one and the problem stopped so I know that's
    > what
    > > changed it. Only problem is I don't know what it changed! I have
    > > uninstalled both printers, used the scrubbing utilities on the disks for
    > > both, deleted the registry keys and even the port the 2710 created but we
    > > still have the same problem when I reinstalled the Laserjet. I have tried
    > > system restore on the other computers but it fails everytime and I have
    > gone
    > > thru all the help advice offered for this problem. None of the restore
    > > points work. So I am stuck with this corrupt print problem and I don't
    > even
    > > know where to look or what to do! Checked the event log and the only thing
    > it
    > > registers is the printing job was purged. The settings for the port are
    > the
    > > same as on the other machines. We can print fine with the Laserjet, but
    > we
    > > just have to remember to delete it each time which is a pain. Anyone have
    > > any ideas? I would be very grateful
    > > thanks
    > > Wendie

    Hello Wendie ,
    Sounds like that was a fun day. The bad new is , at least according
    to the latest info @ Microsoft compat.cat. the HP 3320 Lajet. will not work
    with XP. If that info has been updated please don't kill the mesenger. The
    good news is, you should be able to return it. HP may send you updated
    software for it if you want to wait for it. I had this problem with an Epson
    printer, went to Epson asked for updated software, they sent an order form
    for ink. If you deciide to return it the 2500 series or the 5500 series
    are compat. w\XP.
    Bidirectional means that Windows is able to recieve settings and
    stat's information about the printer.
    Have you ever set the printers to pool? It really speeds
    things up. ie, if you have a printer that prints 10 pages per minute and you
    add two more then config. them for the printer pool into one printer you now
    can print 30 p.p.m
    The trick is to get all three printers the same brand and model
    after making sure they are compat. with your OS. Users love it. The only
    problem is users have to check to see which printer the job went to so be
    sure to add a separator page.
    Best of luck to you,
    Ron J

    "bg" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > both, deleted the registry keys and even the port the 2710 created but we
    > > > still have the same problem when I reinstalled the Laserjet. I have tried
    > > > system restore on the other computers but it fails everytime and I have
    > > gone
    > > > thru all the help advice offered for this problem. None of the restore
    > > > points work. So I am stuck with this corrupt print problem and I don't
    > > even
    > > > know where to look or what to do! Checked the event log and the only thing
    > > it
    > > > registers is the printing job was purged. The settings for the port are
    > > the
    > > > same as on the other machines. We can print fine with the Laserjet, but
    > > we
    > > > just have to remember to delete it each time which is a pain. Anyone have

    Hi Ron,
    Thanks for that, ironically it is the 3320 which was working fine, the
    blasted 2710 is the one who threw a wrench in the works. We've had the 3320
    for well over a year now and it hasn't caused any problems. But since the
    2710 poisoned our lives, we can't get the setting back. It wasn't a fun day,
    a put your head out the window and scream type of day and HP is still
    clueless.

    We thought with them both being HP it would work well. We didn't want the
    same type because we didn't have any printers that could print or scan in
    colour. We are only a very small office so speed isn't usually a problem.
    We don't print too much stuff.

    So I am being advised to untick bidirectional printing. Is the logic behind
    this that the pc is waiting for a message of stats from the printer and it is
    not getting it? And if we untick it, it will send the print job and not care
    and delete it without waiting for confirmation? That would make sense.

    The fact I uninstalled and reinstalled and we have the same problem makes me
    think that the 2710 software messed with a windows XP setting somewhere
    deeper down in the bowels of the OS. The Laserjet 3320 is going to stay, the
    2710 can go back to the junkyard!

    Thanks for your input and I'll let you know how it goes
    regards
    Wendie

    "Ron J" wrote:

    > Hello Wendie ,
    > Sounds like that was a fun day. The bad new is , at least according
    > to the latest info @ Microsoft compat.cat. the HP 3320 Lajet. will not work
    > with XP. If that info has been updated please don't kill the mesenger. The
    > good news is, you should be able to return it. HP may send you updated
    > software for it if you want to wait for it. I had this problem with an Epson
    > printer, went to Epson asked for updated software, they sent an order form
    > for ink. If you deciide to return it the 2500 series or the 5500 series
    > are compat. w\XP.
    > Bidirectional means that Windows is able to recieve settings and
    > stat's information about the printer.
    > Have you ever set the printers to pool? It really speeds
    > things up. ie, if you have a printer that prints 10 pages per minute and you
    > add two more then config. them for the printer pool into one printer you now
    > can print 30 p.p.m
    > The trick is to get all three printers the same brand and model
    > after making sure they are compat. with your OS. Users love it. The only
    > problem is users have to check to see which printer the job went to so be
    > sure to add a separator page.
    > Best of luck to you,
    > Ron J
    >

    > "bg" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Alan,
    > > Thanks for answering, no I haven't tried that because it was ticked on the
    > > other machines. How does that work? I'll give it a try on Monday when we are
    > > back in the office but I would like to know if you have a moment what that
    > > actually does.
    > > Thanks
    > > Wendie
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Have you already unchecked Bidirectional in the Printer Properties, Ports
    > > > tab of the LaserJet?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
    > > >
    > > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    > > >
    > > > "bg" <bg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > could
    > > > thing
    > > > It's
    > > > software
    > > > what
    > > > gone
    > > > even
    > > > it
    > > > the
    > > > we

    Well, I got that one all backward huh? The 3320 was your first
    printer? Guess that shoots the comppat. page full of holes. huh? I guess I
    was too busy seeing what was going on in my mind and lost track of which
    printer was the "outlaw"
    Is it 3320 that will not delete the printerQ? I am not sure why or how
    bidirect will fix the issue but I will stay tuned. In the mean time maybe I
    can find out how long it has been since MS updated it's info there. I was
    wondering why there was such a gap in the numbers. Oh man I better go
    check I may have put in 3320 meaning the other. Thank God 'Ive had breakfast
    Helps the crow go down a bit better. Dang , I try so hard to give any
    answers or help is a better way to put it.

    Correctly and to find them in print as well. I think maybe it was the not
    being able to delete that I was fixed on. At least it is the best "CYA" I
    can come up with. i will go back and double check. Then post back. Thanks
    for being a great sport.

    This time printer #'s are on paper not my razor sharp mind,,,,,

> [...]
    > > Have you ever set the printers to pool? It really speeds
    > > things up. ie, if you have a printer that prints 10 pages per minute and you
    > > add two more then config. them for the printer pool into one printer you now
    > > can print 30 p.p.m
    > > The trick is to get all three printers the same brand and model
    > > after making sure they are compat. with your OS. Users love it. The only
    > > problem is users have to check to see which printer the job went to so be
    > > sure to add a separator page.
    > > Best of luck to you,
    > > Ron J
    > >

    > > "bg" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi Alan,
    > > > Thanks for answering, no I haven't tried that because it was ticked on the
    > > > other machines. How does that work? I'll give it a try on Monday when we are
    > > > back in the office but I would like to know if you have a moment what that

    Ok. turns out I did not give you the wrong info after all. No where, on
    the list for Hp printers(laser) is the . Maybe redirect is the fix. No one
    told you what it would fix? Just to untick it? Dang, never thought I would
    wish it was Monday. Don't you hate printer problems? That should be the
    easiet part of the job. I can't believe HP service dumped on you. I may be
    able dig up some info on it for you from HP I belong to a small bizz. outfit
    they have going . If you send the complete number I will check it out.
    Let me know how this this out. Please.

    "Ron J" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > software for it if you want to wait for it. I had this problem with an Epson
    > > > printer, went to Epson asked for updated software, they sent an order form
    > > > for ink. If you deciide to return it the 2500 series or the 5500 series
    > > > are compat. w\XP.
    > > > Bidirectional means that Windows is able to recieve settings and
    > > > stat's information about the printer.
    > > > Have you ever set the printers to pool? It really speeds
    > > > things up. ie, if you have a printer that prints 10 pages per minute and you
    > > > add two more then config. them for the printer pool into one printer you now
    > > > can print 30 p.p.m
    > > > The trick is to get all three printers the same brand and model
    > > > after making sure they are compat. with your OS. Users love it. The only
    > > > problem is users have to check to see which printer the job went to so be

    Hi Ron,
    No need to snack on crow on my account! I am just grateful for anyone
    throwing in their two cents. Maybe the 3320 Laserjet has problems if it is
    connected directly, it seems, or at least it USED TO, be happy on the network
    on the print server. The only problem we had with it before was it kept
    moving address so once we set it a static IP, it behaved fine.

    I don't know if the photosmart psc 2710 clears the print queue or not
    because we couldn't get it to work on one single machine. It wouldn't
    install. The software ran, no problems were reported on installation, no
    error reports or anything, but when it finished, no printer! No icon in
    control panel, and the software HP director suite only had help and image
    zone. None of the other programs installed. And that happened on every
    machine we tried it on. But it installed the port and I could ping the damn
    thing as well. We tried downloading the software from the website thinking
    it was a corrupt software disk, same thing, downloaded the patches. No help.
    HP kept telling me I installed it incorrectly but when we when thru the
    steps, we had done everything correctly. Their solution was it must be
    working because you did everything right. Well it's not! It is definitely
    going back because it is a pile of junk but that doesn't help the problem
    with the resident printer! They just said we have no idea why that is doing
    it, must be your problem, well no, the only machines doing it are the ones we
    tried to install the 2710 on. System restore fixed the problem on two but we
    can't restore two of them for some reason. So your software screwed
    something up on our machines. A clean uninstall and reinstall of the
    Laserjet 3320 didn't solve it. So as I said before, it messed with something
    in XP somewhere. HP said they would research it and promised to call back
    and no points for guessing if they did. I think they were just glad to get
    me off the phone. I have lost total confidence in their product and I am
    angry at the mess this is in. Yes, I hate printer problems, and this
    laserjet works fine other than the annoying problem of sitting in the queue
    until deleted. I'll try the untick on Monday but I don't think it will help,
    but we'll see.

    Thanks for you feedback and I'll let you know
    Regards
    Wendie
    "Ron J" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > same type because we didn't have any printers that could print or scan in
    > > > colour. We are only a very small office so speed isn't usually a problem.
    > > > We don't print too much stuff.
    > > >
    > > > So I am being advised to untick bidirectional printing. Is the logic behind
    > > > this that the pc is waiting for a message of stats from the printer and it is
    > > > not getting it? And if we untick it, it will send the print job and not care
    > > > and delete it without waiting for confirmation? That would make sense.
    > > >
    > > > The fact I uninstalled and reinstalled and we have the same problem makes me
    > > > think that the 2710 software messed with a windows XP setting somewhere
    > > > deeper down in the bowels of the OS. The Laserjet 3320 is going to stay, the
    > > > 2710 can go back to the junkyard!
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your input and I'll let you know how it goes

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hello Wendie,
    According to an" unofficial" source at HP the sudden change in hook up
    may cause problems with certain HP printers. Why ? No ones seems to know. I
    am thinking maybe a mem. chip somewhere doe's not clear. As far as the non
    delete issue she thinks it is an XP issue so just maybe bidirect will help. I
    like you have doubts but that is why we call it trouble shooting. It is worth
    a shot. She also recomends for you, if you take back the printer to go up to
    next series. Without the last numbers ie, 3320 *** psc2210*** the PSC they
    all have , I could not get any more info than you already have . Allways,
    an out for those folks. The reason cust. ser is great at HP one day and not
    worth the hold time on others, is because of how your call gets placed. One
    day you may get someone trained in the problem you have, the next you may get
    a trained monkey with good people skills at best. I wish you luck Wendie. I
    know how this feels. The Epson I told you about placed spyware on two
    networks. It came from the CD. It nearly cost me both accounts. I installed
    it. The CD is on a tree at a cabin I share with some friends for camping. It
    is full of 22cab. holes . Made nice target practice. I am taking the printer
    next trip, but I have to get a bigger gun. hehehe Best of luck Wendie. I
    mean that. Please let me know how it went for you.
    Ron

    "bg" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > printer was the "outlaw"
    > > > Is it 3320 that will not delete the printerQ? I am not sure why or how
    > > > bidirect will fix the issue but I will stay tuned. In the mean time maybe I
    > > > can find out how long it has been since MS updated it's info there. I was
    > > > wondering why there was such a gap in the numbers. Oh man I better go
    > > > check I may have put in 3320 meaning the other. Thank God 'Ive had breakfast
    > > > Helps the crow go down a bit better. Dang , I try so hard to give any
    > > > answers or help is a better way to put it.
    > > >

    > > > Correctly and to find them in print as well. I think maybe it was the not
    > > > being able to delete that I was fixed on. At least it is the best "CYA" I
    > > > can come up with. i will go back and double check. Then post back. Thanks
    > > > for being a great sport.
    > > >
    > > > This time printer #'s are on paper not my razor sharp mind,,,,,

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Alan,
    thank you SOOOOO much for this tidbit. It worked!!! I had my doubts but it
    sorted out the problem with the printers who wouldn't clear their print
    queues. I don't know what else it will effect with printing but for now it
    is just great! I don't know why HP support didn't suggest trying this.

    I also sorted out the problem with the warring printers. I uninstalled them
    both, and reinstalled them in the opposite order. They both now work on the
    machine. I still had the problem with the print queue not clearing on the
    Laserjet but unticking bidirectional sorted that out. I don't know why it
    wasn't an issue on the 2710, but now that everything is working, I am not
    complaining. At least it works. Hey Ron, did you hear that, IT WORKS!!!! I
    am a happy camper. We haven't installed the new printer on anyone else's
    machine, I dont' trust it yet, let's see if they can play nicely together
    before I go gung ho and install it on everyone. Takes forever to uninstall
    and install both of them on one machine. Thanks again for all the help and
    support!

    regards
    Wendie

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > Have you already unchecked Bidirectional in the Printer Properties, Ports
    > tab of the LaserJet?
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "bg" <bg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > We have a real mess on our hands and no one can figure it out. We have an
    > > HP Laserjet 3320 multifunction on a network and all was well. We then
    > > decided to add an HP photosmart 2710 multifunction to the network so we
    > could
    > > print and scan in colour. BIG MISTAKE. Besides the fact the £%*)("~'#
    > thing
    > > wouldn't install properly on any machine, it completely screwed up the
    > > Laserjet. What happens now is that the print queue doesn't clear after it
    > > prints. It prints fine, but the job stays in the print queue, which means
    > > the next time someone prints to the laserjet, it reprints everything.
    > It's
    > > been spewing out paper like a demonic machine. The only way to purge the
    > > print queue is to manually delete it which it does with no problem. So it
    > > isn't the normal problem of trying to delete the job and it won't, it just
    > > doesn't go away in the first place. Been on the phone for hours with HP
    > > support, they couldn't solve any of the problems. I know it is the
    > software
    > > for the 2710 that messed things up because I gave up installing it after 4
    > > machines failed and they are the only machines that have that problem. I
    > > managed a system restore on one and the problem stopped so I know that's
    > what
    > > changed it. Only problem is I don't know what it changed! I have
    > > uninstalled both printers, used the scrubbing utilities on the disks for
    > > both, deleted the registry keys and even the port the 2710 created but we
    > > still have the same problem when I reinstalled the Laserjet. I have tried
    > > system restore on the other computers but it fails everytime and I have
    > gone
    > > thru all the help advice offered for this problem. None of the restore
    > > points work. So I am stuck with this corrupt print problem and I don't
    > even
    > > know where to look or what to do! Checked the event log and the only thing
    > it
    > > registers is the printing job was purged. The settings for the port are
    > the
    > > same as on the other machines. We can print fine with the Laserjet, but
    > we
    > > just have to remember to delete it each time which is a pain. Anyone have
    > > any ideas? I would be very grateful
    > > thanks
    > > Wendie

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Just friends trying to solve a problem.

    I have a feeling that the two drivers share one of the monitor layers and
    there is a version difference.

    Look in the registry when the printer driver is added on two machines. Use
    machine 1 for 3320, machine 2 for 2710. If the came monitor is added on
    each machine compare the files that the monitor uses. This is usually the
    monitor driver entry in the registry.
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Printers\Monitor

    --

> [...]
    > > > system restore on the other computers but it fails everytime and I
    have
    > > gone
    > > > thru all the help advice offered for this problem. None of the
    restore
    > > > points work. So I am stuck with this corrupt print problem and I
    don't
    > > even
    > > > know where to look or what to do! Checked the event log and the only
    thing
    > > it
    > > > registers is the printing job was purged. The settings for the port
    are
    > > the
    > > > same as on the other machines. We can print fine with the Laserjet,
    but
    > > we
    > > > just have to remember to delete it each time which is a pain. Anyone

Laserjet Windows XP