P4 & Case Cooling?

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I have been browsing the older posts, trying to find some info, but not getting anything definite. here is my question: I am putting together a new system using a P4 2.53 CPU w/ Rambus memory. I am also getting a Coolermaster Aluminum case. Money is not the main concern, so I am hoping to find the best cooling solution (first concern)for my system, while keeping it as quiet as possible (second, though close concern).

I am hoping to find out what the best heatsink/fan would be, as well as case fans. Are 120mm fans really quieter? With the case I am getting, I plan on having two fans on the front for intake, one at the rear below the PS and one on the PC top.

Thanks for any help!

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Yes, I run 2 120mm fans at half speed and you can't tell they're on. But again there are 80mm silent fans too, except the 120mm have to work less to move the same ammount of air.

My case got so silent with the P4 setup that the whining of my maxtor drive getting to me. Didn't notice the drive before when I blasted all my fans at the max to keep old setup cool. :(

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Thanks for that info! Anyone have opinions on the best heatsink brands/types? I understand solid copper base is something to look for. How about the fancy cyclone types? Any preferences? Thanks!

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
as far a the P4 is concerned....the retail P4 cooler is not only a solid performer...but its hideously quiet too...i would stick with the stock cooler if i were you.

:eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
heh that's what I use after watching people post about them, why buy another when it works? :D Weird but my 2.0 running at 2.3 at the moment only gone up by 2C from 37C to 39C, still running only at 45C when playing games for 40-60 minutes. Maybe it would be lower if I wouldn't set the core at 1.6V, will try and see what's the better voltage when I have more time.

Since you o/c and I just started, what the hell it the "Differential Current" setting in the ABIT TH7-II bios? I left it on 6x because I have no clue if I'm supposed to touch it or not. Thanks :)

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>