Adding attachments to faxes

I'm trying to find out how to add an attachment to a fax through the fax
wizard. I've tried everything but with no luck. I'm trying to do two
different things. First, I want to fax a document I've created in
Powerpoint. Second, I need to fax a document I have scanned and saved.

Can anyone help??
--
Mombees

If the PowerPoint document is text and graphics only (no sound), print it
out and fax it along with your other document.. if it has animated elements
and sound, you will have to find another way to send it.. e-mail maybe.. or
a CD in the regular mail..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Mombees" <Mombees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to find out how to add an attachment to a fax through the fax
> wizard. I've tried everything but with no luck. I'm trying to do two
> different things. First, I want to fax a document I've created in
> Powerpoint. Second, I need to fax a document I have scanned and saved.
>
> Can anyone help??
> --
> Mombees

Maybe I'm not asking my question correctly. I don't have a separate fax
machine other than my computer. I simply use the fax wizard on my computer
and fill out the necessary fax form. Once I have completed the form on fax
wizard, then I want to be able to attach a document saved on my computer to
the fax document. Can this be done?

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If the PowerPoint document is text and graphics only (no sound), print it
> out and fax it along with your other document.. if it has animated elements
> and sound, you will have to find another way to send it.. e-mail maybe.. or
> a CD in the regular mail..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Mombees" <Mombees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to find out how to add an attachment to a fax through the fax
> > wizard. I've tried everything but with no luck. I'm trying to do two
> > different things. First, I want to fax a document I've created in
> > Powerpoint. Second, I need to fax a document I have scanned and saved.
> >
> > Can anyone help??
> > --
> > Mombees

Already answered. No. It cannot be done. The Fax Console does not support
faxing attachments.
You have two options:
1. Print the document to the fax printer from the application in which it
was created.
2. Send the fax from Outlook, which does support faxing attachments.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Maybe I'm not asking my question correctly. I don't have a separate fax
> machine other than my computer. I simply use the fax wizard on my
> computer
> and fill out the necessary fax form. Once I have completed the form on
> fax
> wizard, then I want to be able to attach a document saved on my computer
> the fax document. Can this be done?
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If the PowerPoint document is text and graphics only (no sound), print it
>> out and fax it along with your other document.. if it has animated
>> elements
>> and sound, you will have to find another way to send it.. e-mail maybe..
>> or
>> a CD in the regular mail..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Mombees" <Mombees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to find out how to add an attachment to a fax through the
>> > fax
>> > wizard. I've tried everything but with no luck. I'm trying to do two
>> > different things. First, I want to fax a document I've created in
>> > Powerpoint. Second, I need to fax a document I have scanned and saved.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help??
>> > --
>> > Mombees

Adding to Russ..

Assuming that you have XP Fax set up.. Open the Office application for the
document type and load the document into it.. using the 'FILE' menu, select
PRINT.. when the PRINT options window opens, select FAX PRINTER in place of
the default printer installed..

This will take you to FAX WIZARD.. follow the onscreen instructions..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Already answered. No. It cannot be done. The Fax Console does not support
> faxing attachments.
> You have two options:
> 1. Print the document to the fax printer from the application in which it
> was created.
> 2. Send the fax from Outlook, which does support faxing attachments.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Mombees" <Mombees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe I'm not asking my question correctly. I don't have a separate fax
>> machine other than my computer. I simply use the fax wizard on my
>> computer
>> and fill out the necessary fax form. Once I have completed the form on
>> fax
>> wizard, then I want to be able to attach a document saved on my computer
>> the fax document. Can this be done?
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>>
>>> If the PowerPoint document is text and graphics only (no sound), print
>>> it
>>> out and fax it along with your other document.. if it has animated
>>> elements
>>> and sound, you will have to find another way to send it.. e-mail maybe..
>>> or
>>> a CD in the regular mail..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Mombees" <Mombees@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

To assemble several different documents to send in one fax transmission
with XP Fax Console:

It is best to convert the files into a .tif file. If you can open them
in Paint or some other graphic program, then they should be able to be saved
in the .TIF format. If they can't be opened and converted to .tif then this
can be accomplished by printing the file to the Fax. When the Fax Wizard
comes up, you can enter any name in the to box. DO NOT USE A COVER PAGE. I
then type my own phone number into the proper box. If things go wrong, the
worse that will happen is that it will try to send the fax to my fax number
and it will get a busy signal. If this happens, viola, the file will now be
in the Fax Console Outbox in the form of a .tif. View it in the Image and
Fax Viewer and copy it to C:\junkfax or whatever you want to call your
working fax folder. Right away, rename the file as perhaps doc1.tif. If you
don't rename it and leave it in the long name that the Fax Console assigned
to it, it might get deleted when you close the Viewer as the Fax Console
treats it as a temporary file.
If you haven't screwed up and sent the fax by mistake to your own phone
number, click to Preview the fax. Then copy it as described above while it
is displayed in the Viewer. Also, save the file and rename it as described
above. After it is renamed, cancel the fax and now find your 2nd document
and go through the same procedure again, perhaps naming the 2nd file as
doc2.tif. Once you have 3 or 4 files in your working folder, highlight the
files, then right click on them and select PRINT. Fax should be setup as
your default printer. Now add your cover page in the fax wizard and in the
Viewer you should see your cover page followed by the 2 or 3 other files
that you had highlighted. You can now SEND the fax and it should go through
with all of the documents.

I sometimes do all of this another way if I can get the files into
Paint. First I set up my word processor with all page margins of zero. I now
have a full page to display a scanned graphic page or .pdf file. I then type
in on my word processor the info that would go on a cover sheet. Thus I make
up my own cover sheet. After putting in the fields I highlight all of the
entries and then use paragraph format to indent .75 inch. Thus the info is
formatted neatly on the page. I then insert a page break at the last of my
text. Once the document that I want to include is in Paint, I use Select All
and copy it. I then paste it into what is page 2 of my word processor
document. I then insert another page break if I will add more pages and
repeat the Paint routine. When I have everything in my word processor
document, I Print to the Fax, don't use a cover page, and View it in the Fax
Viewer before sending the several pages off.