Fax Server Information Cannot be Retrieved

March 13, 2005 8:47:01 AM

Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
"Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
(build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory;
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
guys, but this is driving me insane!
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:49:02 AM

Dear Russ,

Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and come
back to you. Regards.

"Phil7979" wrote:

> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:30:43 PM

Actually most of these problems are in the standalone environment. SP2 seems
to have demolished fax for many users. Microsoft is clueless. No one seems
to be able to come up with consistent steps to reproduce the problem, let
alone a solution.
Common sense would suggest that you make sure that SP2's firewall is off
when you try to send a fax. Make sure the Startup type for the fax service
is automatic and that the service is started before you try to send a fax.
Next, you should try to reconfigure your fax settings. Last, try removing
and reinstalling the fax module. Make sure you direct the installation
routine to the ServicePack/i386 folder.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!
March 13, 2005 1:11:55 PM

Please do.
The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure it
out.
--
> Dear Russ,
>
> Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and
> come
> back to you. Regards.
>
> "Phil7979" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3)
>> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
>> fax
>> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
>> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
>> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
>> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
>> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
>> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
>> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
>> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
>> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
>> SP2
>> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
>> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
>> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
>> Memory;
>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
>> on,
>> guys, but this is driving me insane!
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:11:56 PM

Hi Russ,

Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any success
whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st time.
No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except for a
"Lang" subdirectory!!!

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Please do.
> The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
> answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure it
> out.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Russ,
> >
> > Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and
> > come
> > back to you. Regards.
> >
> > "Phil7979" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
> >> SP3)
> >> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> >> fax
> >> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> >> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> >> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> >> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> >> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> >> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> >> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> >> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> >> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
> >> SP2
> >> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> >> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> >> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> >> Memory;
> >> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
> >> on,
> >> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:07:55 PM

So did you do the reinstall or not?
What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any success
> whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st
> time.
> No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except for
> "Lang" subdirectory!!!
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Please do.
>> The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
>> answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure
>> it
>> out.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Russ,
>> >
>> > Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and
>> > come
>> > back to you. Regards.

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:41:05 AM

Hi Russ,

Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
activity!

Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is configured
correctly.

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> So did you do the reinstall or not?
> What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
> What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any success
> > whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st
> > time.
> > No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except for
> > "Lang" subdirectory!!!
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please do.
> >> The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
> >> answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure
> >> it
> >> out.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:42:14 PM

In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
> activity!
>
> Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
> Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
> Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
> configured
> correctly.
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> So did you do the reinstall or not?
>> What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools >
>> Services?
>> What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ,
>> >
>> > Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any
>> > success
>> > whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st
>> > time.
>> > No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except
>> > for
>> > "Lang" subdirectory!!!
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:03:03 AM

Hi Russ,

Status is: "Local" "Online".

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
> > activity!
> >
> > Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
> > Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
> > Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
> > configured
> > correctly.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> So did you do the reinstall or not?
> >> What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools >
> >> Services?
> >> What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 9:26:37 AM

Thanks.
Got it.
All information has been forwarded to the fax developers.
------
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Phil7979 wrote:
> Hi Russ,
>
> Status is: "Local" "Online".
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>

>>In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>"Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi Russ,
>>>
>>>Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
>>>activity!
>>>
>>>Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
>>>Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
>>>Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
>>>configured
>>>correctly.
>>>
>>>Regards.
>>>Phil

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 2:21:44 PM

We'll need the following to track this down further:
(1) Any eventvwr message from FaxSrv or Print, when you invoke the Send Fax
Wizard.

(2) The version number of the fax binaries in the system. Run FileVer.exe
(from Windows Support Tools) for:

(a) %windir%\system32\fxs* and %windir%\system32\winfax.dll

(b) %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*

You can alternately right click on these files on explorer and send us
version numbers but that would be tedious.

(3) Was this a clean install of XPSP2? Did you ever connect to a "shared fax
server" from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server?
--

> Hi Russ,
>
> Status is: "Local" "Online".
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ,
>> >
>> > Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of
>> > social
>> > activity!
>> >
>> > Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
>> > Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
>> > Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
>> > configured
>> > correctly.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 12:05:11 PM

Hi Russ,

Here are my responses:

The only eventvwr msg I receive when trying to send a fax appears in a
dialogue box: "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The Fax Wizard
will now close."

Following is the long list of version numbers for the files in question:
C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D %windir%\system32\fxs*
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscfgwz.dll
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1024 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsclnt.exe
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsclntr.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscom.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscomex.dll
- - - - - c:\windows\system32\fxscount.h
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscover.exe
W32i DRV ENU 0.3.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsdrv.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsevent.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsext32.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsmon.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsperf.dll
- - - - - c:\windows\system32\fxsperf.ini
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsres.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsroute.dll
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxssend.exe
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsst.dll
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxst30.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxstiff.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsui.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxswzrd.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsxp32.dll

C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D %windir%\system32\winfax.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\winfax.dll

C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsapi.dll
W32i DRV ENU 0.3.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsdrv.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsres.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxstiff.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsui.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxswzrd.dll

The install for XPSP2 was clean.

No, I have (not to my knowledge!) ever connected to a "shared fax server"
from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server.

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> We'll need the following to track this down further:
> (1) Any eventvwr message from FaxSrv or Print, when you invoke the Send Fax
> Wizard.
>
> (2) The version number of the fax binaries in the system. Run FileVer.exe
> (from Windows Support Tools) for:
>
> (a) %windir%\system32\fxs* and %windir%\system32\winfax.dll
>
> (b) %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
>
> You can alternately right click on these files on explorer and send us
> version numbers but that would be tedious.
>
> (3) Was this a clean install of XPSP2? Did you ever connect to a "shared fax
> server" from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Status is: "Local" "Online".
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 1:15:02 PM

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months ago,
preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any other AV
installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using the
firewall that is included with Windows.

I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the error
message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the fax
modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not connected
to the internet while using the fax feature.
Fax printer status is local and online.

I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.

"Phil7979" wrote:

> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:12:10 PM

Excellent.
Information is on its way to the developers. They just told me they are on a
3 day weekend and won't start working on it until Monday.
--
> [...]
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> We'll need the following to track this down further:
>> (1) Any eventvwr message from FaxSrv or Print, when you invoke the Send
>> Fax
>> Wizard.
>>
>> (2) The version number of the fax binaries in the system. Run FileVer.exe
>> (from Windows Support Tools) for:
>>
>> (a) %windir%\system32\fxs* and %windir%\system32\winfax.dll
>>
>> (b) %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
>>
>> You can alternately right click on these files on explorer and send us
>> version numbers but that would be tedious.
>>
>> (3) Was this a clean install of XPSP2? Did you ever connect to a "shared
>> fax
>> server" from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax

March 24, 2005 6:19:06 PM

See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I posted.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months
> ago,
> preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any other
> AV
> installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using
> the
> firewall that is included with Windows.
>
> I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
> button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the error
> message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
> wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the fax
> modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not
> connected
> to the internet while using the fax feature.
> Fax printer status is local and online.
>
> I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.
>

> "Phil7979" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3)
>> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
>> fax
>> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
>> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
>> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
>> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
>> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
>> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
>> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
>> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
>> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
>> SP2
>> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
>> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
>> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
>> Memory;
>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
>> on,
>> guys, but this is driving me insane!
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 2:23:02 AM

Hello,

I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the same
error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off the
firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.

Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
> If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I posted.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months
> > ago,
> > preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any other
> > AV
> > installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using
> > the
> > firewall that is included with Windows.
> >
> > I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
> > button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the error
> > message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
> > wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the fax
> > modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not
> > connected
> > to the internet while using the fax feature.
> > Fax printer status is local and online.
> >
> > I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.
> >

> > "Phil7979" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
> >> SP3)
> >> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> >> fax
> >> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> >> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> >> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> >> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> >> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> >> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> >> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> >> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> >> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
> >> SP2
> >> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> >> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> >> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> >> Memory;
> >> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
> >> on,
> >> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:51:00 AM

Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
--
> Hello,
>
> I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the
> same
> error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off the
> firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.
>
> Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
>> If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I
>> posted.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months
>> > ago,
>> > preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any
>> > other
>> > AV
>> > installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using
>> > the
>> > firewall that is included with Windows.
>> >
>> > I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
>> > button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the
>> > error
>> > message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
>> > wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the
>> > fax
>> > modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not
>> > connected
>> > to the internet while using the fax feature.
>> > Fax printer status is local and online.
>> >
>> > I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:19:02 PM

Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.

My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
versions.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the
> > same
> > error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off the
> > firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.
> >
> > Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
> >> If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I
> >> posted.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:29:44 AM

Windows Support Tools can be installed from the Windows XP CD.
--
> Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.
>
> My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
> versions.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the
>> > same
>> > error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off
>> > the
>> > firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.
>> >
>> > Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:23:05 PM

Here's what I had found:

fxsapi 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 441.50 KB (452,096
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
fxsevent 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 54.00 KB (55,296
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsevent.dll
fxsmon 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 23.00 KB (23,552
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsmon.dll
fxsroute 5.2.1776.0 31.00 KB (31,744 bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsroute.dll
fxsst 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 549.00 KB (562,176
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsst.dll
fxssvc 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 261.50 KB (267,776
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe
fxst30 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 240.50 KB (246,272
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxst30.dll
fxstiff 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 388.00 KB (397,312
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxstiff.dll

winfax.dll version 5.2.1776.0

all under c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
fxsapi.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
fxsdrv.dll version 0.3.1776.1023
fxsres.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
fxstiff.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
fxsui.dll verison 5.2.1776.1023
fxswzrd.dll version 5.2.1776.1023

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Windows Support Tools can be installed from the Windows XP CD.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "lee_ad" <leead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.
> >
> > My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
> > versions.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:02:09 PM

Excellent.
I've sent the information to Microsoft.
They tell me they're making progress but still don't have it solved.
--
> Here's what I had found:
>
> fxsapi 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 441.50 KB (452,096
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
> c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
> fxsevent 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 54.00 KB (55,296
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
> Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsevent.dll
> fxsmon 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 23.00 KB (23,552
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
> c:\windows\system32\fxsmon.dll
> fxsroute 5.2.1776.0 31.00 KB (31,744 bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
> Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsroute.dll
> fxsst 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 549.00 KB (562,176
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
> c:\windows\system32\fxsst.dll
> fxssvc 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 261.50 KB (267,776
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
> c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe
> fxst30 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 240.50 KB (246,272
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
> c:\windows\system32\fxst30.dll
> fxstiff 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 388.00 KB (397,312
> bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
> Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxstiff.dll
>

> winfax.dll version 5.2.1776.0
>
> all under c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
> fxsapi.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
> fxsdrv.dll version 0.3.1776.1023
> fxsres.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
> fxstiff.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
> fxsui.dll verison 5.2.1776.1023
> fxswzrd.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Windows Support Tools can be installed from the Windows XP CD.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "lee_ad" <leead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.
>> >
>> > My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
>> > versions.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:47:01 PM

"Phil7979" wrote:
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close."

I've been having this problem, too, almost every time I try to send a fax.
The only workaround I've found is to uninstall the Windows fax component,
re-boot, and re-install it. Goling through all that almost every time I want
to send a fax is a big pain to say the least, but at least it works.

Neil
April 8, 2005 4:25:45 AM

same problem i am having. Hope there is a fix soon.
"Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:23:01 AM

Hi Russ,

Just checking to see whether the developers have managed to come up with a
solution, yet. I have to say I'm finding it increasingly irksome not being
able to receive/send faxes.

April 15, 2005 10:22:50 AM

Nothing so far.
--
> [...]
>> >
>> > C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D
>> > %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
>> > W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
>> > c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsapi.dll
>> > W32i DRV ENU 0.3.1776.1023 shp
>> > c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsdrv.dll
>> > W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
>> > c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsres.dll
>> > W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
>> > c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxstiff.dll
>> > W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
>> > c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsui.dll
>> > W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
>> > c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxswzrd.dll
>> >
>> > The install for XPSP2 was clean.
>> >
>> > No, I have (not to my knowledge!) ever connected to a "shared fax
>> > server"
>> > from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server.

April 29, 2005 5:00:05 AM

Dear Russ,

Any news yet?

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Nothing so far.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Just checking to see whether the developers have managed to come up with a
> > solution, yet. I have to say I'm finding it increasingly irksome not being
> > able to receive/send faxes.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Excellent.
> >> Information is on its way to the developers. They just told me they are
> >> on a
> >> 3 day weekend and won't start working on it until Monday.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:05:35 AM

Nothing recently. Last I heard they were convinced it is an issue that
arises with several AV or firewall programs. Remind me which you're using.

--
> Dear Russ,
>
> Any news yet?
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Nothing so far.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ,
>> >
>> > Just checking to see whether the developers have managed to come up
>> > with a
>> > solution, yet. I have to say I'm finding it increasingly irksome not
>> > being
>> > able to receive/send faxes.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:05:36 AM

Dear Russ,

Mm...that is a new one. Don't think I ever gave you details of the firewall
and/or AV I'm using, but here it is:

Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
AV: Antivir.

Hope that's helpful.

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Nothing recently. Last I heard they were convinced it is an issue that
> arises with several AV or firewall programs. Remind me which you're using.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Russ,
> >
> > Any news yet?
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Nothing so far.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 10:04:16 AM

For starters, try disabling them.
--
> Dear Russ,
>
> Mm...that is a new one. Don't think I ever gave you details of the
> firewall
> and/or AV I'm using, but here it is:
>
> Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
> AV: Antivir.
>
> Hope that's helpful.
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Nothing recently. Last I heard they were convinced it is an issue that
>> arises with several AV or firewall programs. Remind me which you're
>> using.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Russ,
>> >
>> > Any news yet?
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:33:37 AM

I still don't think the AV and firewall are to blame. I bought my computer
new with only Windows XP Home Edition SP2 installed and no other software
(see previous postings). I tried turning off Windows XP firewall and it
still produced the same problem. I do not have an AV yet, but I should be
getting an AV software soon.

May 6, 2005 10:06:08 AM

I'm sure there are other causes.
No one has produced steps to repro.
--
>I still don't think the AV and firewall are to blame. I bought my computer
> new with only Windows XP Home Edition SP2 installed and no other software
> (see previous postings). I tried turning off Windows XP firewall and it
> still produced the same problem. I do not have an AV yet, but I should be
> getting an AV software soon.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Excellent.
>> I've sent the information to Microsoft.
>> They tell me they're making progress but still don't have it solved.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "lee_ad" <leead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Here's what I had found:
>> >
>> > fxsapi 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 441.50 KB (452,096
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
>> > c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
>> > fxsevent 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 54.00 KB (55,296
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
>> > Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsevent.dll
>> > fxsmon 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 23.00 KB (23,552
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
>> > c:\windows\system32\fxsmon.dll
>> > fxsroute 5.2.1776.0 31.00 KB (31,744 bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM
>> > Microsoft
>> > Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsroute.dll
>> > fxsst 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 549.00 KB (562,176
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
>> > c:\windows\system32\fxsst.dll
>> > fxssvc 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 261.50 KB (267,776
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
>> > c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe
>> > fxst30 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 240.50 KB (246,272
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation
>> > c:\windows\system32\fxst30.dll
>> > fxstiff 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 388.00 KB (397,312
>> > bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
>> > Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxstiff.dll
>> >

>> > winfax.dll version 5.2.1776.0
>> >
>> > all under c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
>> > fxsapi.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
>> > fxsdrv.dll version 0.3.1776.1023
>> > fxsres.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
>> > fxstiff.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
>> > fxsui.dll verison 5.2.1776.1023
>> > fxswzrd.dll version 5.2.1776.1023

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:32:03 PM

Dear Russ,

Done as you suggested: no luck. Any way you can apply pressure to MS to
solve this issue. It's not right for a software vendor of such standing as MS
to just ignore issues which are raised with their products; or is it!

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> For starters, try disabling them.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Russ,
> >
> > Mm...that is a new one. Don't think I ever gave you details of the
> > firewall
> > and/or AV I'm using, but here it is:
> >
> > Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
> > AV: Antivir.
> >
> > Hope that's helpful.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Nothing recently. Last I heard they were convinced it is an issue that
> >> arises with several AV or firewall programs. Remind me which you're
> >> using.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 9:39:18 PM

I've applied all the pressure I know how. It's hard for them to solve issues
they cannot reproduce in house. If anyone can come up with consistent steps
to repro it sure would help.
--
> Dear Russ,
>
> Done as you suggested: no luck. Any way you can apply pressure to MS to
> solve this issue. It's not right for a software vendor of such standing as
> MS
> to just ignore issues which are raised with their products; or is it!
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> For starters, try disabling them.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Russ,
>> >
>> > Mm...that is a new one. Don't think I ever gave you details of the
>> > firewall
>> > and/or AV I'm using, but here it is:
>> >
>> > Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
>> > AV: Antivir.
>> >
>> > Hope that's helpful.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 8:57:40 AM

FYI: I just bought a new computer with WinXP Pro SP2 on it, and I have
the same "Fax Server" error message. My previous computer had WinXP
Pro and I manually upgraded to SP2. Same (or nearly) same specs as
other people: single user, never had a fax server, Norton AV, etc.

Any response from Microsoft yet on this issue?

--
levseltzer
June 6, 2005 9:53:59 PM

Still silent.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"levseltzer" <levseltzer.1q7c60@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

> FYI: I just bought a new computer with WinXP Pro SP2 on it, and I have
> the same "Fax Server" error message. My previous computer had WinXP
> Pro and I manually upgraded to SP2. Same (or nearly) same specs as
> other people: single user, never had a fax server, Norton AV, etc.
>
> Any response from Microsoft yet on this issue?
>

> --
> levseltzer

June 12, 2005 9:11:48 PM

Hi,

I've been reading a lot of comments about the "Fax Server Information
Cannot Be Retrieved" because we have been struggling with the problem
too (in Windows XP Pro, English, SP2).

We also have MS Office 2003 installed but it doesn't seemed to be
related to the problem.

_*THE_CAUSE:*_

Well, we're not entirely sure but the PC had been used for approx. 6
months before the installation of the fax software was needed. The fax
software was installed through the Explorer window "Printers and Faxes"
(available through the Control Panel or in the Start menu), and it went
without any error messages as far as we can remember. (Of cause we were
asked to locate a file; we selected folder D:\I386 on the SP2 CD-ROM).

When trying to send a fax we immediately got the "Fax Server
Information Cannot Be Retrieved" message.

We tried to fix the problem by using the standard Control Panel window
"Add or Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components". But we
where unsuccessful.

_*THE_SOLUTION:*_

We solved the problem by

- first uninstalling the fax service though the Control Panel "Add or
Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components"
- and then reinstalling the fax service via the setup.exe program in
the root of the SP2 CD-ROM (and we selected "Install optional Windows
components"). Thus, we avoided to install via the standard Control
Panel access.

The installation was without error messages, and this time the fax
service worked fine.

_*LAST_HICK-UP_ABOUT_THE_WINDOWS_FAX_SERVICE:*_

There seems to be no way to get the "e-mail" field from the "Sender
Information" (in the fax console) displayed on a fax cover page. The
fax cover page editor cannot see this field.

I hope that this was useful to some of you out there. :)
I can't promise you that it will solve _your_ problem since our
investigation wasn't thorough enough.

Regards
Erik
www.progresso.dk

P.S.: I would much like to avoid faxing. It is technically outdated
but still needed for lawyers etc. because faxes are legal documents in
some cases.

Phil7979 Wrote:
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
> SP3) run into a problem with my fax..... I receive the error message:
> "Fax Server Information Cannot be Retrieved...."

--
progresso
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:11:49 PM

The problem appears to be related to the failing of the setupsvcsecurity
call when installing on systems that had been upgraded to SP2. Installing
from a slipstreamed SP2 disk should work, but will not provide a solution
for most users who do not have such a disk.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"progresso" <progresso.1qixps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:p rogresso.1qixps@pcbanter.net...

> Hi,
>
> I've been reading a lot of comments about the "Fax Server Information
> Cannot Be Retrieved" because we have been struggling with the problem
> too (in Windows XP Pro, English, SP2).
>
> We also have MS Office 2003 installed but it doesn't seemed to be
> related to the problem.
>
> _*THE_CAUSE:*_
>
> Well, we're not entirely sure but the PC had been used for approx. 6
> months before the installation of the fax software was needed. The fax
> software was installed through the Explorer window "Printers and Faxes"
> (available through the Control Panel or in the Start menu), and it went
> without any error messages as far as we can remember. (Of cause we were
> asked to locate a file; we selected folder D:\I386 on the SP2 CD-ROM).
>
> When trying to send a fax we immediately got the "Fax Server
> Information Cannot Be Retrieved" message.
>
> We tried to fix the problem by using the standard Control Panel window
> "Add or Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components". But we
> where unsuccessful.
>
> _*THE_SOLUTION:*_
>
> We solved the problem by
>
> - first uninstalling the fax service though the Control Panel "Add or
> Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components"
> - and then reinstalling the fax service via the setup.exe program in
> the root of the SP2 CD-ROM (and we selected "Install optional Windows
> components"). Thus, we avoided to install via the standard Control
> Panel access.
>
> The installation was without error messages, and this time the fax
> service worked fine.
>
> _*LAST_HICK-UP_ABOUT_THE_WINDOWS_FAX_SERVICE:*_
>
> There seems to be no way to get the "e-mail" field from the "Sender
> Information" (in the fax console) displayed on a fax cover page. The
> fax cover page editor cannot see this field.
>
> I hope that this was useful to some of you out there. :)
> I can't promise you that it will solve _your_ problem since our
> investigation wasn't thorough enough.
>
> Regards
> Erik
> www.progresso.dk
>
> P.S.: I would much like to avoid faxing. It is technically outdated
> but still needed for lawyers etc. because faxes are legal documents in
> some cases.
>

> Phil7979 Wrote:
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3) run into a problem with my fax..... I receive the error message:
>> "Fax Server Information Cannot be Retrieved...."
>

> --
> progresso
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:11:49 PM

Also several people have successfully fixed this problem with this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018
You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP

"This problem occurs because the security database is corrupted.". The
Esentutl.exe utility procedure is listed here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...'t+install+windows+components&OS=&CN=10&BV_SessionID=@@@@0605524489.1111529783@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddeehkgjehcgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&ProductMenu_1=(All+Models)&ProductMenu_2=-------------------------------&ST=1&SortOrder=LT_WEIGHT&awhit=2
Error Copying Files When Installing IIS Under Windows XP Professional

The hotfix listed in the first article may resolve the issue also, however,
I've not yet seen any posts that say it does.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"progresso" <progresso.1qixps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
news:p rogresso.1qixps@pcbanter.net...

> Hi,
>
> I've been reading a lot of comments about the "Fax Server Information
> Cannot Be Retrieved" because we have been struggling with the problem
> too (in Windows XP Pro, English, SP2).
>
> We also have MS Office 2003 installed but it doesn't seemed to be
> related to the problem.
>
> _*THE_CAUSE:*_
>
> Well, we're not entirely sure but the PC had been used for approx. 6
> months before the installation of the fax software was needed. The fax
> software was installed through the Explorer window "Printers and Faxes"
> (available through the Control Panel or in the Start menu), and it went
> without any error messages as far as we can remember. (Of cause we were
> asked to locate a file; we selected folder D:\I386 on the SP2 CD-ROM).
>
> When trying to send a fax we immediately got the "Fax Server
> Information Cannot Be Retrieved" message.
>
> We tried to fix the problem by using the standard Control Panel window
> "Add or Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components". But we
> where unsuccessful.
>
> _*THE_SOLUTION:*_
>
> We solved the problem by
>
> - first uninstalling the fax service though the Control Panel "Add or
> Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components"
> - and then reinstalling the fax service via the setup.exe program in
> the root of the SP2 CD-ROM (and we selected "Install optional Windows
> components"). Thus, we avoided to install via the standard Control
> Panel access.
>
> The installation was without error messages, and this time the fax
> service worked fine.
>
> _*LAST_HICK-UP_ABOUT_THE_WINDOWS_FAX_SERVICE:*_
>
> There seems to be no way to get the "e-mail" field from the "Sender
> Information" (in the fax console) displayed on a fax cover page. The
> fax cover page editor cannot see this field.
>
> I hope that this was useful to some of you out there. :)
> I can't promise you that it will solve _your_ problem since our
> investigation wasn't thorough enough.
>
> Regards
> Erik
> www.progresso.dk
>
> P.S.: I would much like to avoid faxing. It is technically outdated
> but still needed for lawyers etc. because faxes are legal documents in
> some cases.
>

> Phil7979 Wrote:
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3) run into a problem with my fax..... I receive the error message:
>> "Fax Server Information Cannot be Retrieved...."
>

> --
> progresso
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:29:44 PM

As Russ points out, my solution only works if you have the SP2 on a
CD-ROM.

This prompts me to tell you who have installed Windows from the SP2
CD-ROM that you will not be able to find the directory mentioned
somewhere above (ServicePackFiles/i386).

For you who have upgraded to SP2 via the Internet the specified
directory is located at %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386, typically
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Regards
Erik

--
progresso
Anonymous

Russ,

The problem is not iscolated to WinXP. I just installed Small Business
Server 2003 sp1. All 5 files installed without a problem. However, as
soon as the system was restarted, my NT4 clients could no longer fax
using the SBS fax services. I tried to remove and re-install the fax
drivers on the NT4 systems with no success...however, unlike the rest
in this thread, my WinXP Pro clients continue to work with not problem.
Do you know if Microsoft has come any closer to a solution? Thanks.

Jim Edmonds

--
edmondsj
Anonymous

Not sure this is the same problem. What is their error message?
SBS client on NT4 is not the same as Windows XP fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"edmondsj" <edmondsj.1r9sdq@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> [...]
>> Information" (in the fax console) displayed on a fax cover page. The
>> fax cover page editor cannot see this field.
>>
>> I hope that this was useful to some of you out there. :)
>> I can't promise you that it will solve _your_ problem since our
>> investigation wasn't thorough enough.
>>
>> Regards
>> Erik
>> www.progresso.dk
>>
>> P.S.: I would much like to avoid faxing. It is technically outdated
>> but still needed for lawyers etc. because faxes are legal documents
>> in
>> some cases.
>>

>> Phil7979 Wrote:-
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3) run into a problem with my fax..... I receive the error message:
>> "Fax Server Information Cannot be Retrieved...."-

June 27, 2005 2:07:35 PM

progresso wrote:
> _*THE_SOLUTION:*_
>
> We solved the problem by
>
> - first uninstalling the fax service though the Control Panel "Add or
> Remove Programs" and "Add/Remove Windows Components"
> - and then reinstalling the fax service via the setup.exe program in
> the root of the SP2 CD-ROM (and we selected "Install optional Windows
> components"). Thus, we avoided to install via the standard Control
> Panel access.
>
> The installation was without error messages, and this time the fax
> service worked fine.
>
> Regards
> Erik
> www.progresso.dk

Dear Erik,
after some months I found finally the solution to my Fax problem. Thank you!

My PC runs with XP Pro Italian with Sp2.

The only difference to your procedure, is that I had to include in the
Sp2 I386 folder some fx*.dl_ present only in the Sp1 CD.

Ciao,
TxT
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:48:50 AM

The error message is the same as others have posted. I'm running Fax
servers on SBS2003 with the fax client installed on NT4 and WinXP
workstations. I can't identify the exact problem but I have been able
to correct today. The problem started after SBS 2003 service pack 1
was installed which if I understand correctly has some of the features
borrowed from WinXP sp2. The fax software had already been deployed to
the NT4 and WinXP systems prior to the sp1 install and everything worked
as expected. As soon as sp1 was installed I started getting the error
as others have discussed but only on the NT4 systems. Since there is
Office 2000, Office XP, and Office 2003 (On XP systems) on various
systems this was ruled out as a possible cause. After reading what
others were doing I removed Fax services from the SBS 2003 server,
rebooted, and then re-installed using add/remove. I reinstalled the
fax printer on the NT4 systems and the error went away which in my mind
targets something to do with the fax services update in SBS 2003 sp1 and
probably the WinXP sp2 that everyone else is having...again, it appears
this is not MS Office related, nor antivirus related (FYI, using CA
eTrust 7.1 on this network). I have several other clients with SBS
2003 and haven't upgraded them yet so I don't know if I'll have the
same issues with them or not yet. Thanks for your inputs.

--
edmondsj
!