Fax Server Information Cannot be Retrieved

Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
"Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
(build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory;
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
guys, but this is driving me insane!

Dear Russ,

Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and come
back to you. Regards.

"Phil7979" wrote:

> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Actually most of these problems are in the standalone environment. SP2 seems
to have demolished fax for many users. Microsoft is clueless. No one seems
to be able to come up with consistent steps to reproduce the problem, let
alone a solution.
Common sense would suggest that you make sure that SP2's firewall is off
when you try to send a fax. Make sure the Startup type for the fax service
is automatic and that the service is started before you try to send a fax.
Next, you should try to reconfigure your fax settings. Last, try removing
and reinstalling the fax module. Make sure you direct the installation
routine to the ServicePack/i386 folder.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Please do.
The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure it
out.
--
> Dear Russ,
>
> Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and
> come
> back to you. Regards.
>
> "Phil7979" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3)
>> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
>> fax
>> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
>> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
>> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
>> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
>> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
>> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
>> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
>> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
>> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
>> SP2
>> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
>> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
>> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
>> Memory;
>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
>> on,
>> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Hi Russ,

Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any success
whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st time.
No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except for a
"Lang" subdirectory!!!

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Please do.
> The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
> answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure it
> out.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Russ,
> >
> > Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and
> > come
> > back to you. Regards.
> >
> > "Phil7979" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
> >> SP3)
> >> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> >> fax
> >> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> >> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> >> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> >> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> >> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> >> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> >> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> >> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> >> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
> >> SP2
> >> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> >> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> >> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> >> Memory;
> >> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
> >> on,
> >> guys, but this is driving me insane!

So did you do the reinstall or not?
What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any success
> whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st
> time.
> No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except for
> "Lang" subdirectory!!!
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Please do.
>> The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
>> answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure
>> it
>> out.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Dear Russ,
>> >
>> > Blisteringly fast response: many thanks. I'll try what you suggest and
>> > come
>> > back to you. Regards.

Hi Russ,

Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
activity!

Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is configured
correctly.

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> So did you do the reinstall or not?
> What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services?
> What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any success
> > whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st
> > time.
> > No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except for
> > "Lang" subdirectory!!!
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please do.
> >> The more information we can get on this the better. There has to be an
> >> answer out there somewhere, and it looks like we're on our own to figure
> >> it
> >> out.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
--
> Hi Russ,
>
> Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
> activity!
>
> Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
> Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
> Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
> configured
> correctly.
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> So did you do the reinstall or not?
>> What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools >
>> Services?
>> What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ,
>> >
>> > Tried every single step you laid out in your response without any
>> > success
>> > whatsoever. Tried it twice in case I'd not followed it exactly the 1st
>> > time.
>> > No luck! Curiously, my directory ServicePackFiles/i386 is empty except
>> > for
>> > "Lang" subdirectory!!!
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Hi Russ,

Status is: "Local" "Online".

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
> > activity!
> >
> > Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
> > Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
> > Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
> > configured
> > correctly.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> So did you do the reinstall or not?
> >> What was the status of the Fax Service in Administrative Tools >
> >> Services?
> >> What is the status of the Fax Printer in the Fax Console?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks.
Got it.
All information has been forwarded to the fax developers.
------
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Phil7979 wrote:
> Hi Russ,
>
> Status is: "Local" "Online".
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>

>>In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
>>--
>>Russ Valentine
>>[MVP-Outlook]
>>"Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi Russ,
>>>
>>>Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of social
>>>activity!
>>>
>>>Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
>>>Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
>>>Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
>>>configured
>>>correctly.
>>>
>>>Regards.
>>>Phil

We'll need the following to track this down further:
(1) Any eventvwr message from FaxSrv or Print, when you invoke the Send Fax
Wizard.

(2) The version number of the fax binaries in the system. Run FileVer.exe
(from Windows Support Tools) for:

(a) %windir%\system32\fxs* and %windir%\system32\winfax.dll

(b) %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*

You can alternately right click on these files on explorer and send us
version numbers but that would be tedious.

(3) Was this a clean install of XPSP2? Did you ever connect to a "shared fax
server" from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server?
--

> Hi Russ,
>
> Status is: "Local" "Online".
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ,
>> >
>> > Apologies for the delay in responding but work gets in the way of
>> > social
>> > activity!
>> >
>> > Did the reinstall: no luck; same problems.
>> > Status In Admin Tools>Svs is "Started", "Automatic"
>> > Fax Console: not sure where I get this status from but the fax is
>> > configured
>> > correctly.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> > Phil

Hi Russ,

Here are my responses:

The only eventvwr msg I receive when trying to send a fax appears in a
dialogue box: "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The Fax Wizard
will now close."

Following is the long list of version numbers for the files in question:
C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D %windir%\system32\fxs*
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscfgwz.dll
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1024 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsclnt.exe
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsclntr.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscom.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscomex.dll
- - - - - c:\windows\system32\fxscount.h
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxscover.exe
W32i DRV ENU 0.3.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsdrv.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsevent.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsext32.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsmon.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsperf.dll
- - - - - c:\windows\system32\fxsperf.ini
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsres.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsroute.dll
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\fxssend.exe
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsst.dll
W32i APP ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxst30.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxstiff.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsui.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxswzrd.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp c:\windows\system32\fxsxp32.dll

C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D %windir%\system32\winfax.dll
W32i DLL ENU 5.2.1776.0 shp c:\windows\system32\winfax.dll

C:\>fileVer.exe /X /B /A /D %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsapi.dll
W32i DRV ENU 0.3.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsdrv.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsres.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxstiff.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxsui.dll
W32i DRV ENU 5.2.1776.1023 shp
c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxswzrd.dll

The install for XPSP2 was clean.

No, I have (not to my knowledge!) ever connected to a "shared fax server"
from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server.

Regards.
Phil

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> We'll need the following to track this down further:
> (1) Any eventvwr message from FaxSrv or Print, when you invoke the Send Fax
> Wizard.
>
> (2) The version number of the fax binaries in the system. Run FileVer.exe
> (from Windows Support Tools) for:
>
> (a) %windir%\system32\fxs* and %windir%\system32\winfax.dll
>
> (b) %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
>
> You can alternately right click on these files on explorer and send us
> version numbers but that would be tedious.
>
> (3) Was this a clean install of XPSP2? Did you ever connect to a "shared fax
> server" from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax server?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > Status is: "Local" "Online".
> >
> > Regards.
> > Phil
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> In the Fax Console > Tools > Fax Printer Status...
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months ago,
preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any other AV
installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using the
firewall that is included with Windows.

I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the error
message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the fax
modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not connected
to the internet while using the fax feature.
Fax printer status is local and online.

I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.

"Phil7979" wrote:

> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Excellent.
Information is on its way to the developers. They just told me they are on a
3 day weekend and won't start working on it until Monday.
--
> [...]
>
> Regards.
> Phil
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> We'll need the following to track this down further:
>> (1) Any eventvwr message from FaxSrv or Print, when you invoke the Send
>> Fax
>> Wizard.
>>
>> (2) The version number of the fax binaries in the system. Run FileVer.exe
>> (from Windows Support Tools) for:
>>
>> (a) %windir%\system32\fxs* and %windir%\system32\winfax.dll
>>
>> (b) %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\fxs*
>>
>> You can alternately right click on these files on explorer and send us
>> version numbers but that would be tedious.
>>
>> (3) Was this a clean install of XPSP2? Did you ever connect to a "shared
>> fax
>> server" from Windows Server 2003 or SBS2000 or any other shared fax

See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I posted.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months
> ago,
> preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any other
> AV
> installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using
> the
> firewall that is included with Windows.
>
> I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
> button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the error
> message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
> wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the fax
> modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not
> connected
> to the internet while using the fax feature.
> Fax printer status is local and online.
>
> I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.
>

> "Phil7979" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
>> SP3)
>> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
>> fax
>> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
>> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
>> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
>> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
>> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
>> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
>> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
>> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
>> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
>> SP2
>> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
>> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
>> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
>> Memory;
>> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
>> on,
>> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Hello,

I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the same
error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off the
firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.

Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
> If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I posted.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months
> > ago,
> > preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any other
> > AV
> > installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using
> > the
> > firewall that is included with Windows.
> >
> > I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
> > button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the error
> > message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
> > wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the fax
> > modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not
> > connected
> > to the internet while using the fax feature.
> > Fax printer status is local and online.
> >
> > I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.
> >

> > "Phil7979" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office
> >> SP3)
> >> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> >> fax
> >> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> >> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> >> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> >> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> >> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> >> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> >> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> >> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> >> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing
> >> SP2
> >> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> >> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> >> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> >> Memory;
> >> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go
> >> on,
> >> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
--
> Hello,
>
> I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the
> same
> error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off the
> firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.
>
> Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
>> If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I
>> posted.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I am experiencing the same problem too. I bought my computer 2 months
>> > ago,
>> > preloaded with Windows XP SP2. I do not have any Norton AV or any
>> > other
>> > AV
>> > installed because I haven't got around to purchase one yet. I am using
>> > the
>> > firewall that is included with Windows.
>> >
>> > I am trying to send a fax from the fax console. I press the "New Fax"
>> > button, the fax wizard pops up. I press the "Next" button and the
>> > error
>> > message pops up - "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The fax
>> > wizard will close now." I have check all the configurations for the
>> > fax
>> > modem - Lucent Win Fax modem and it's working properly. I was not
>> > connected
>> > to the internet while using the fax feature.
>> > Fax printer status is local and online.
>> >
>> > I'm running a P4 3GHz, with Windows XP Home edition.

Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.

My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
versions.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the
> > same
> > error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off the
> > firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.
> >
> > Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> See if turning off the Firewall temporarily changes anything.
> >> If not, then you'll need to obtain the troubleshooting information I
> >> posted.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Windows Support Tools can be installed from the Windows XP CD.
--
> Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.
>
> My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
> versions.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I tried turning off the Windows firewall and it is still giving me the
>> > same
>> > error message. Also, I tried rebooting the system after turning off
>> > the
>> > firewall, and i'm still getting the same error.
>> >
>> > Where's your troubleshooting info that you have posted?

Here's what I had found:

fxsapi 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 441.50 KB (452,096
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
fxsevent 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 54.00 KB (55,296
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsevent.dll
fxsmon 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 23.00 KB (23,552
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsmon.dll
fxsroute 5.2.1776.0 31.00 KB (31,744 bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsroute.dll
fxsst 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 549.00 KB (562,176
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxsst.dll
fxssvc 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 261.50 KB (267,776
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxssvc.exe
fxst30 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 240.50 KB (246,272
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxst30.dll
fxstiff 5.2.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 388.00 KB (397,312
bytes) 22/03/2005 9:34 PM Microsoft
Corporation c:\windows\system32\fxstiff.dll

winfax.dll version 5.2.1776.0

all under c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
fxsapi.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
fxsdrv.dll version 0.3.1776.1023
fxsres.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
fxstiff.dll version 5.2.1776.1023
fxsui.dll verison 5.2.1776.1023
fxswzrd.dll version 5.2.1776.1023

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Windows Support Tools can be installed from the Windows XP CD.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "lee_ad" <leead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry for taking so long. I was away for the long weekend.
> >
> > My computer does not have the file "filever.exe" to search for the file
> > versions.
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Earlier in this thread. Are you using a news reader?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "lee_ad" <lee_ad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Excellent.
I've sent the information to Microsoft.
They tell me they're making progress but still don't have it solved.
--

"Phil7979" wrote:
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close."

I've been having this problem, too, almost every time I try to send a fax.
The only workaround I've found is to uninstall the Windows fax component,
re-boot, and re-install it. Goling through all that almost every time I want
to send a fax is a big pain to say the least, but at least it works.

Neil

mc

same problem i am having. Hope there is a fix soon.
"Phil7979" <Phil7979@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've recently (since installing Windows XP Pro SP2; and MS Office SP3)
> run into a problem with my fax. Briefly, every time I now try to send a
> fax
> the wizard opens and I receive the error message: "Fax Server Information
> Cannot be Retrieved. The Wizard will now close." I've done quite a lot of
> research on the net re. this issue and can see that many people are
> experiencing a similar problem; but these seem to be related to a network
> environment: I'm running a single standalone PC. I've checked my fax
> configuration: AOK but it has the Microsoft Shared Fax Driver and in
> "Properties" it says that "Sharing is not available for this type of
> printer." Q. Why would I want to share it on a standalone PC? I send and
> receive faxes intermittently; but this worked fine prior to installing SP2
> and SP3. I would appreciate some guidance how I can cure this problem,
> please. Oh, tech' details are: OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
> (build 2600); 2000 megahertz AMD Pentium 4; 1024 Megabytes Installed
> Memory;
> Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX; CNXT V9x PCI Modem. Sorry to go on,
> guys, but this is driving me insane!

Hi Russ,

Just checking to see whether the developers have managed to come up with a
solution, yet. I have to say I'm finding it increasingly irksome not being
able to receive/send faxes.

Nothing so far.