please help with my local network - norton

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

i have 2 win xp pc's and both are linked via a router and both have norton
firewall
installed. internet access for both pc's goes via the router and is working
fine.

however, i cannot see pc's from one another. i have set up a trusted zone
for each other in the firewall settings by adding the ip address of the
other pc.

i have got it down to the following scenario, but just havent got a clue
whats going on.

i turn on PC1 and turn OFF the firewall.

then i boot up PC2, but i cant see it from pc1 (via my network places) even
though both are a member of the same workgroup. in fact i can't even ping
it.

then i log into pc2 and load up the firewall settings. i do not change any
settings.

at this stage i still cannot ping pc2 from pc1.

now on pc2 all i do is click on the button that says "configure" under
"personal firewall" in the norton internet security screen. i DO NOT change
any settings.

now i can ping pc2 from pc1 and access it with no problems.

argghhhh, what kind of silly thing is that?! please help me.
ps: i am a beginner at all this networking stuff. so go easy on me! ;=)

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Sounds something like the problem I have. See "Problem connecting two
windows XP computers in a simple workgroup" entered today!

"tracy" <tracyy@spamfreenyf.com> wrote in message
> i have 2 win xp pc's and both are linked via a router and both have norton
> firewall
> installed. internet access for both pc's goes via the router and is
working
> fine.
>
> however, i cannot see pc's from one another. i have set up a trusted zone
> for each other in the firewall settings by adding the ip address of the
> other pc.
>
> i have got it down to the following scenario, but just havent got a clue
> whats going on.
>
> i turn on PC1 and turn OFF the firewall.
>
> then i boot up PC2, but i cant see it from pc1 (via my network places)
even
> though both are a member of the same workgroup. in fact i can't even ping
> it.
>
> then i log into pc2 and load up the firewall settings. i do not change any
> settings.
>
> at this stage i still cannot ping pc2 from pc1.
>
> now on pc2 all i do is click on the button that says "configure" under
> "personal firewall" in the norton internet security screen. i DO NOT
change
> any settings.
>
> now i can ping pc2 from pc1 and access it with no problems.
>

> argghhhh, what kind of silly thing is that?! please help me.
> ps: i am a beginner at all this networking stuff. so go easy on me! ;=)

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking,comp.security.firewalls,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

both pc's must have a user logged on to share files.

and it sounds like Norton is not saving/applying your settings to when you
first boot up.
it's a firewall problem not a network problem.

--
http://www.edmontoncouple.com

----
I am the darkest creation of god