LaserJet prints control codes in documents since upgrade t..

a b α HP
March 14, 2005 1:37:32 PM

Since I upgraded my operating system from Windows 98SE to XP Pro my HP
LaserJet 4P has started printing what looks to be printer control codes in my
documents in a random fashion. I have replaced the driver several times and
upgraded the printer memory to no avail.

I was told by a "guru" at HP that because I upgraded my operating system
without unplugging my printers first I may have caused permanent damage. He
called it a Resource Issue but was very vague about WHAT I supposedly
damaged. Is this true or was he just trying to avoid a question he couldn't
answer?

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to fix it? My printer has a
long life ahead of it, but if it's going to embellish every document with
codes I won't be able to use it.

Help!
--
Kris
Anonymous

Turn-off the power to your HP LaserJet 4P and then go to
Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes. Right-click on every
printer icon and select Delete. Then perform the following:

Open your Control Panel and click on the "Add Hardware" icon.
The "Add Hardware Wizard" will appear.

1. Click on Next and place a dot next to "Yes, I have already connected the hardware".
2. Click Next and scroll all the way down to "Add a new hardware device".
3. Click once to highlight it and click Next.
4. Place a dot next to "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)".
5. Click Next and scroll down to "Printers", click once to highlight and click Next.
6. Place a dot next to "Use the following port" and click Next.
7. In the "Install Printer Software Screen", on the left side scroll down to "HP"
and click once to highlight, then on the right-side scroll down to
"HP LaserJet 4P", click on it to highlight and click Next to install the drivers.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Kris Raiman" wrote:

| Since I upgraded my operating system from Windows 98SE to XP Pro my HP
| LaserJet 4P has started printing what looks to be printer control codes in my
| documents in a random fashion. I have replaced the driver several times and
| upgraded the printer memory to no avail.
|
| I was told by a "guru" at HP that because I upgraded my operating system
| without unplugging my printers first I may have caused permanent damage. He
| called it a Resource Issue but was very vague about WHAT I supposedly
| damaged. Is this true or was he just trying to avoid a question he couldn't
| answer?
|
| Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a way to fix it? My printer has a
| long life ahead of it, but if it's going to embellish every document with
| codes I won't be able to use it.
|
| Help!
| --
| Kris
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 14, 2005 3:52:48 PM

Carey,
I followed your instructions, but still get characters such as "6Wa(with
accent) o(with tilde) o(with umlaut) at seemingly random places within the
text.

I have deleted and reinstalled this printer many times, but that hasn't
solved the problem.

Kris

!