Sign in with
Your question

Jumping framerates in World of Warcraft, help!

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2012 4:24:32 AM

I play World of Warcraft, and I am having an issue with my framerate dropping like a rock whenever I engage an enemy. The problem is this: I average around 30-40 fps while running around capital cities, battlegrounds (while remaining out of combat), etc. I stood in a capital while a 40 man multiboxer was in the middle of town slaying people, and had absolutely no framerate issues until I tried to join in the fray. Whenever I enter combat, my framerate drops to around two fps, or in some cases less, and I am stuck staring at a frozen screen for 10 to 15 seconds, at which point the fps goes up to something like 3 or 5 for the remainder of combat.

My computer settings are so:

Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
Processor: Intel Core2 duo T6400 at 2.00Ghz (not overclocked)
RAM: 4 GB
Internet download speed (tested on speedtest.net) 12.00 mbps average
Internet upload speed (tested on speedtest.net) 1.9 mbps average

My WoW settings are so:

V-Sync: off
Multisampling: x1
Shadow Quality: low
Liquid Detail: fair
Sunshafts: disabled
Particle Density: fair
SSAO: disabled
Texture Resolution: good
Texture Filtering: 2x anisotropic
Projected Textures: enabled
View Distance: fair
Environment Detail: fair
Ground Clutter: low
Triple Buffering: disables
Reduce Imput Lag: disabled
Hardware Cursor: enabled
Graphics API: DirectX 9

Additional Notes: This is a recurring problem for all other online games I play (such as League of Legends, DragonNest, Team Fortress 2, etc), but I am primarily concerned with fixing it in World of Warcraft.

Yes my drivers are up to date.
No I do not run superfluous programs in the background, save for Ventrilo or Skype.
No I do not have malware/viruses/rootkits on my computer (all scans with MalwareBytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and TDSSkiller came back clean)
No I do not have fragmented files (ran the cmd prompt command that checks for it, it came back clean)
There are no errors in my event viewer that could be consuming CPU time that could otherwise be dedicated to my games.

Thank you for your time and help.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 1, 2012 4:59:32 AM

The only thing that I can think of causing you to lose so many frames per second would be addons. Try disabling them to see if it helps. If it did, enable them 1 by 1 to find out which one caused the issue!
September 1, 2012 5:05:42 AM

Sunius said:
The only thing that I can think of causing you to lose so many frames per second would be addons. Try disabling them to see if it helps. If it did, enable them 1 by 1 to find out which one caused the issue!

The only addons I run are Recount, Omen, Scrolling Combat Text, Scrolling Combat Text Damage and Deadly Boss Mods, all of which are up to date with 5.0.4, and when I disable them the problem still persists.
Related resources
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 1, 2012 5:24:50 AM

What is your latency? Also, try this:

Options > Game preferences > Reset all game preferences.

Though, backup WTF folder first.
September 1, 2012 5:34:03 AM

Sunius said:
What is your latency? Also, try this:

Options > Game preferences > Reset all game preferences.

Though, backup WTF folder first.

My latency averages 70 world and 70 home. I have already deleted my WTF folder and cache folder, to no avail.
September 1, 2012 3:45:41 PM

Try downloading
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.16-setup.exe

Run WoW, do the things that are causing your fps to drop, alt-tab and see how high your temp is/got on the program.

I'm thinking your GPU might be getting too hot

Also, if your running games in fullscreen, try running them in windowed mode
September 2, 2012 3:27:55 AM

moskov said:
Try downloading
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.16-setup.exe

Run WoW, do the things that are causing your fps to drop, alt-tab and see how high your temp is/got on the program.

I'm thinking your GPU might be getting too hot

Also, if your running games in fullscreen, try running them in windowed mode

Ok, while I am simply idling in a main city, my GPU runs about 170 F (77 C) and my CPU 143 F (62 C). in a 25 man raid, my GPU runs about 200 F. I'm going to go clean off my fan and my heatsink and see if that helps.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 2, 2012 1:51:42 PM

That's definitely overheating... Yes, you should clean the fan.
September 3, 2012 11:22:05 PM

Sunius said:
That's definitely overheating... Yes, you should clean the fan.

Ok, I cleaned the fan and the problem is still happening. The temp of my GPU seems to be peaking around 188 F now.
September 4, 2012 6:28:27 AM

Sunius said:
You've have to reapply the thermal compound to your GPU...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bED3bfzToSU

Crap...the last person who serviced my laptop screwed in the screws so tight that I can't get them out by myself, had to go down to Best Buy to get them to unscrew the plate where my fan was so I could blow that out, anything else they would have charged me for, and it's $150 I don't have to reapply thermal paste. I'll try and see about getting a tiny screwdriver with a bigger grip so I can hopefully get all the plates off, I have to completely disassemble my case to get to all the parts of my heatsink.

Will try to get all the screws off and apply the paste, and will report back if I am successful.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 4, 2012 6:47:02 AM

OH so it's a laptop? 86°C doesn't seem so much now, even though the previous temperature was OK. Does it still lag?
September 4, 2012 8:34:38 PM

Sunius said:
OH so it's a laptop? 86°C doesn't seem so much now, even though the previous temperature was OK. Does it still lag?

Yes, it still does. And the temperature of the GPU is still reaching 200F at the instances it starts to lag out in.
!