MotherBoard Temp is high

drmidnight

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
I recently changed motherboards, going from ECS K7S5A to a Gigabyte’s Ga7VTXH+. Using motherboard monitor 5.0, both my motherboard and CPU temperatures went up considerably- mthb: 34C & CPU; 42C with the ECS, mthb: 41C & CPU: 50 C with the Ga7VTXH+. These temps are at idle, running any 3D game pushes the cpu to 55C and the mainboard to 45C…..is this normal ?
I am running an Athlon XP 1600+ ,768MB DDR, 2- 20G-ATA/133HDD, CDRW,DVD, and a VisionTeck Geforce3 Ti200, powered 431 Enermax PSU. I have volcano 5 for a heat sink, 2 fans pulling air from the bottom of my case(Large) and two pulling out up top.

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Sounds like the room you have your computer in is a bit warm. I'm experiencing the a large increase in mobo/cpu temps also. The temp in my room is nearing 20C/63F. About the only way I can keep the CPU from going over 55C is placing a desk fan (8") right in front of my side case fan and setting it on high speed to force more air through the case fan. I'm considering removing the case fan so the the desk fan will force air right into the HSF. But temps are dependant on ambient room temp so the best I could hope for is keeping my CPU under 55C which is still well within AMD's specs. 55C is just a self imposed limit. Post back with how warm the room is and I'm sure someone will agree with my guess.

If your room isn't as warm as mine, then it might be your HS isn't sitting correctly on the CPU or isn't performing like it should. Dust build up will also have the same effect. When was the last time you vacuumed out your case and components or took it outside and used a can of compressed air on it? I'm thinking that might be another cause for my temps too.

Guess I shouldn't have been so quick to wish for warmmer weather during the winter!

GearJammer

<A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_994.html" target="_new">THGC Seti Team Stats</A>

drmidnight

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
I ended up changing the Volcano 5 HS for a Volcano 7+, and that made a huge difference. I couldn't think of anything else to change. I already had four fans running inside to cool things down.
The motherboard temp. went down to 31C and the cpu to 41C, but I added a ton of Arctic silver II. I am very impressed with the new HS, but it was a pain to install, being much heavier then it’s earlier versions, but damn does it work...I kept the settings to "High", at "Low" cpu temp. goes up to 47C.