Need help connecting an office printer to a home pc.

Hi Guys,

Hope someone can help with this one.

My work has just given me a HP LaserJet 4050 TN Printer as they were about
to throw it out.

I want to use this printer at home and I have Windows XP with Sevice Pack 2
installed.

I do not have any cables for this printer apart from the power cable, and a
network cable. The printer only has a serial and a parrallel port on the
back of it as well as the network port.

Is there any way I can connect and use this printer by connecting it to my
PC's network (or ethernet) port?.

I have tried to complete the add printer wizard, however have had no
success.

Many thanks for your help,
Mark
4 answers Last reply
More about need connecting office printer home

    Mark

    For reference.. support. manuals, drivers etc

    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF10a/18972-236251-236263-14638-236263-25475.html

    If you purchase a parallel printer cable, you can connect easily to a home
    computer.. HP printers prefer good quality cables, so do not skimp.. the
    Belkin Gold type are good.. not cheap of course, but you did get the printer
    for not a great deal..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Mark_King" <markking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Hope someone can help with this one.
    >
    > My work has just given me a HP LaserJet 4050 TN Printer as they were about
    > to throw it out.
    >
    > I want to use this printer at home and I have Windows XP with Sevice Pack
    > 2 installed.
    >
    > I do not have any cables for this printer apart from the power cable, and
    > a network cable. The printer only has a serial and a parrallel port on
    > the back of it as well as the network port.
    >
    > Is there any way I can connect and use this printer by connecting it to my
    > PC's network (or ethernet) port?.
    >
    > I have tried to complete the add printer wizard, however have had no
    > success.
    >
    > Many thanks for your help,
    > Mark

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your help, however I was really hoping to find out if it would be
    possible to setup up the printer via the network cable as I don't have a
    parallel cable.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers,
    Mark

    > Mark
    >
    > For reference.. support. manuals, drivers etc
    >
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF10a/18972-236251-236263-14638-236263-25475.html
    >
    > If you purchase a parallel printer cable, you can connect easily to a home
    > computer.. HP printers prefer good quality cables, so do not skimp.. the
    > Belkin Gold type are good.. not cheap of course, but you did get the
    > printer for not a great deal..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Mark_King" <markking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Guys,
    >>
    >> Hope someone can help with this one.
    >>
    >> My work has just given me a HP LaserJet 4050 TN Printer as they were
    >> about to throw it out.
    >>
    >> I want to use this printer at home and I have Windows XP with Sevice Pack
    >> 2 installed.
    >>
    >> I do not have any cables for this printer apart from the power cable, and
    >> a network cable. The printer only has a serial and a parrallel port on
    >> the back of it as well as the network port.
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can connect and use this printer by connecting it to
    >> my PC's network (or ethernet) port?.
    >>
    >> I have tried to complete the add printer wizard, however have had no
    >> success.
    >>
    >> Many thanks for your help,
    >> Mark

    Check the HP web site for information on Jet Direct hardware and
    software.
    http://www.hp.com

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Mark_King" <markking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : Hi Mike,
    :
    : Thanks for your help, however I was really hoping to find out if it
    would be
    : possible to setup up the printer via the network cable as I don't have
    : parallel cable.
    :
    : Any ideas?
    :
    : Cheers,
    : Mark
    :
    : "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    : news:uliVlROKFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    : > Mark
    : >
    : > For reference.. support. manuals, drivers etc
    : >
    : >
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF10a/18972-236251-236263-14638-236263-25475.html
    : >
    : > If you purchase a parallel printer cable, you can connect easily to
    a home
    : > computer.. HP printers prefer good quality cables, so do not skimp..
    the
    : > Belkin Gold type are good.. not cheap of course, but you did get the
    : > printer for not a great deal..
    : >
    : > --
    : > Mike Hall
    : > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    : >
    : > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > "Mark_King" <markking@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > news:um8HHGOKFHA.1308@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    : >> Hi Guys,
    : >>
[...]

    Go out and buy one?.. it is your cheapest and easiest option..

    --

Cable Printers Windows XP