Problem Upgrading HDD on Presario M700

Anyone know what two flashing lights at the front means on installing a
blank HDD on an Armada M700? (Nothing else, not on pressing the power
button or on pressing sideways the other button)

There is nothing on the drive and I wanted to install an OS. It wont even
think about looking at the floppy to see to start off it.

I cant get anything more than these two flashing lights and a POWER button
light lit on the top panel

Taking the battery out doesnt seem to do anything nor does holding the
buttons dwon for a few minutes (although it DOES send the power light on
the top panel off until you take your finger off one of them)
13 answers Last reply
More about problem upgrading presario m700

    In article <B4ydnVLqQ4czQpffRVn-og@rcn.net>, Maria Ripanykhazova
    <news.rnc.com@?.?> writes
    >Anyone know what two flashing lights at the front means on installing a
    >blank HDD on an Armada M700? (Nothing else, not on pressing the power
    >button or on pressing sideways the other button)
    >
    >There is nothing on the drive and I wanted to install an OS. It wont even
    >think about looking at the floppy to see to start off it.
    >
    >I cant get anything more than these two flashing lights and a POWER button
    >light lit on the top panel
    >
    >Taking the battery out doesnt seem to do anything nor does holding the
    >buttons dwon for a few minutes (although it DOES send the power light on
    >the top panel off until you take your finger off one of them)

    I cannot pretend I know the answers, however some pointers follow.

    Do you mean that you have the lights are flashing before you attempt to
    power on and when you attempt to power on, nothing happens. No lights
    flash, nothing on the screen and no beeps?

    Is this the primary hard drive or a drive in the multi-bay adapter?

    Reseat the new hard drive. Make sure it is fully home and none of the
    pins are bent.

    Can you get into the BIOS settings (F10 while the logo is on the screen
    during the power up) and make sure that your new drive is recognised.

    Why are attempting an upgrade, it may be significant. Where did you get
    your new drive from? Is it designed as an upgrade to the Armada M700?

    Was there a jumper (cable select/master/slave) on the old drive, have
    replicated this on the new drive?

    It may be worth replacing the RTC battery, on a machine this old. This
    battery is a button battery underneath the Modem/combo card. Remove the
    main battery and the external power supply before you attempt to change
    this. Allow 5 minutes between removing the old battery and inserting
    the new battery. This will reset the BIOS settings.

    I hope this helps.

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    Many thanks for your advice: I have a sneaking suspicion it was 'all of the
    above' (except for the battery which I haven't tried yet) but suddenly the
    unit sprang to life again

    Now I can try out my slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 install disc to see how well
    the creation process went.

    In article <OsCdnYNgaa6vEpbfRVn-oQ@rcn.net>, Maria Ripanykhazova
    <news.rnc.com@?.?> writes
    >Many thanks for your advice: I have a sneaking suspicion it was 'all of the
    >above' (except for the battery which I haven't tried yet) but suddenly the
    >unit sprang to life again
    >
    >Now I can try out my slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 install disc to see how well
    >the creation process went.

    Good luck.

    Let me know how the install goes.

    The version I have for my Compaq laptop is pre SP1 and it takes me the
    best part of a day to install the updates.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    nbg

    It stopped when the install couldn't find its own hard drive: which is odd
    as this computer wont start if there is no hard drive there!!

    "Nicholas D Richards" <nicholas@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In article <OsCdnYNgaa6vEpbfRVn-oQ@rcn.net>, Maria Ripanykhazova
    > <news.rnc.com@?.?> writes
    > >Many thanks for your advice: I have a sneaking suspicion it was 'all of
    the
    > >above' (except for the battery which I haven't tried yet) but suddenly
    the
    > >unit sprang to life again
    > >
    > >Now I can try out my slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 install disc to see how well
    > >the creation process went.
    > >

    > Good luck.
    >
    > Let me know how the install goes.
    >
    > The version I have for my Compaq laptop is pre SP1 and it takes me the
    > best part of a day to install the updates.
    > --
    > Nicholas David Richards -
    >
    > "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

    Maria,

    See my posting in this WG regarding installing on a Compaq 7461. Sounds
    like you've wired up the hard-drive to the wrong drive connector.

    Paul DS.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    No, it is a laptop: I thought it might be something to do with the drive
    coming off a Mac laptop but as I am formating the drive, it should at least
    be SEEN? (or doesnt a full install of XP Pro format the drive?)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In article <420c7389$0$16586$ed9e5944@reading.news.pipex.net>, Paul
    D.Smith <paul_d_smith@x-hotmail.com> writes
    >Maria,
    >
    >See my posting in this WG regarding installing on a Compaq 7461. Sounds
    >like you've wired up the hard-drive to the wrong drive connector.
    >
    >Paul DS.

    This would certainly explain the problem but I am not sure that this is
    the case this time. In the body of the original posting the PC is
    referred to as an Armada M700. I am not aware of a Presario M700, so I
    assume that we are dealing with an Armada, can you confirm this Maria?
    The Armada M700 is a laptop and the manual for this laptop shows that
    you slide the old drive out and the new drive in. However....

    Unless the drive is being inserted in the multi-bay. The drive for the
    operating system should be the primary drive which is in the drive bay,
    located on the side of the laptop.

    If there are jumper settings on the drive that are not set correctly,
    then you will have problems. The jumpers are on the back, next to the
    data plug. They determine if the drive is being connected as a master,
    slave or the master/slave arrangement is determined by its position on
    the IDE cable (cable select). On my Compaq laptop the arrangement is
    Cable Select and the hard drive just slots in.

    Questions

    If you look at the back of your old drive is there a jumper shorting out
    two pins? If there is replicate this on your new drive and try to
    install again.

    What operating system do you have on the old drive?

    Why are you replacing the old drive? (eg it is too small or it does not
    work)?

    Why is the Mac drive now being taken out of the Mac? (eg the Mac was to
    receive a new drive or the Mac does not work)?

    What is the ex-MAC drive (manufacturer and model/part number)

    Do you have an original version of XP that you could load?

    I suggest that we go one step at a time.

    1 Establish that the components are compatible

    2 Establish that the components all work.

    3 Partition the drive

    4 Install an operating system from an original disk.

    5 Try to install from the slipstreamed XP.
    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    or the Mac does not work)?
    Good point: There generally arent any jumpers on these laptop drives as
    they arent designed to be put in with other drives. (this may not be the
    case with that side-bay drive on the Armada but I didnt think you could load
    an OS on it?) I did put another empty drive unjumpered into the Armada and
    it loaded Windows 2000 succesfully so I thought I could load an OS onto an
    unformatted drive this easily. >
    > What is the ex-MAC drive (manufacturer and model/part number)
    The drive is a Toshiba 15 gig and running PowerMax.exe (I can't find a
    Toshiba test) shows it passes quick format tests and in the last stages
    fails the full advanced format test on some arcane point

    I may try to Partition the drive (Fdisk) on a desktop as you suggest
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    In article <1LudnUUmsoFTmpPfRVn-3g@rcn.net>, Maria Ripanykhazova
    <news.rnc.com@?.?> writes

    >or the Mac does not work)?
    >Good point: There generally arent any jumpers on these laptop drives as
    >they arent designed to be put in with other drives.

    I did wonder whether there are any jumpers, the manual for the M700 does
    not show any jumper settings.

    > (this may not be the
    >case with that side-bay drive on the Armada but I didnt think you could load
    >an OS on it?)

    I assume not, only on the primary drive.

    >I did put another empty drive unjumpered into the Armada and
    >it loaded Windows 2000 succesfully so I thought I could load an OS onto an
    >unformatted drive this easily. >

    Windows 2000 and XP do include everything required to partition and
    format a drive, and my experience has been that they are easy to use.

    >> What is the ex-MAC drive (manufacturer and model/part number)
    >The drive is a Toshiba 15 gig

    I was hoping that you would find a model number. On the Toshiba's they
    begin MK followed by 4 digits and then 2 or three alpha characters. It
    probably does not matter now.

    > and running PowerMax.exe (I can't find a
    >Toshiba test)

    Nor could I

    > shows it passes quick format tests and in the last stages
    >fails the full advanced format test on some arcane point

    I am surprised you got that far; PowerMax is supposed to check that the
    drive is a Maxtor or a Quantum drive.

    >I may try to Partition the drive (Fdisk) on a desktop as you suggest

    I meant you to do it in the M700, in the multibay or the primary
    position.

    I am running out of ideas now and am wondering if the drive is faulty.
    The trouble is, replacement parts for laptops are so expensive.

    --
    Nicholas David Richards -

    "Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Well I think I am getting somewhere: I put the drive into a desktop and
    formatted it using Partition Manager. It WAS true that the XP installation
    process couldnt find a drive to format by itself, which is a bit surprising.

    It then goes easily into the M700 (on which as I say I have successfully
    installed XP before as an exercise in seeing whether another drive was
    working: I should have held on to that drive!!) and XP installs easily but
    the whole process stops at first reboot with the message NTLDR is missing

    Apparently (googling it) this means that you have to boot off a Windows 98
    floppy (!) and do a SYS C: Amazingly this is supposed to work on XP
    installations (as well as 2000 ones)

    But it doesnt on mine, I just receive the error message that SYS cant find a
    system in the place where it is supposed to look which is pretty unusual as
    XP's installation should only be able to put it in one place! But redoing
    this procedure renders no improvement and nor does formatting the FAT32
    drive onto which I am doing the install as an NTFS drive. Still the same
    error message. But amazingly, booting off a floppy does show that the
    install process had put all the proper files in the proper place in the
    windows directory. I know that this drive has errors on it but they are
    comparatively minuscule and shouldnt effect

    Nor does recovery console or the repair MBR or repair BOOT utilities there
    help. I have definitely seen that "CAN'T FIND NTLDR" before and wonder what
    I can be doing wrong?

    > I am running out of ideas now and am wondering if the drive is faulty.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Some comments are in order:

    1. Toshiba is one of those dim-witted hardware companies who do not see fit to
    provide free hard disk diagnostics on their web site. Fortunately, Maxtor
    PowerMax is not especially picky.

    2. If a hard drive has even one bad sector, continuing to use it is playing with
    fire. A single bad sector nowadays is a strong predictor of future drive
    failures, either miniscule sector failures or catastrophic crashes.

    3. Does the full capacity of the drive show up in the system BIOS setup or when
    formatted with the DOS FORMAT command? If not, then there is no simple and easy
    workaround for notebook computer with a BIOS that imposes hard drive capacity
    limitations.

    4. If the drive was previously used on a Mac, I would suggest zeroing out all
    the sectors on the drive before attempting any of the steps needed to install
    Windows. PowerMax has this feature. Actually, it's only necessary to wipe out
    the first sectors on the drive, not the entire drive contents. Mac hard disk
    formats are entirely incompatible with Windows, and may be creating confusion
    with some part of the installation process... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:11:50 +0000, Nicholas D Richards
    <nicholas@salmiron.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >In article <1LudnUUmsoFTmpPfRVn-3g@rcn.net>, Maria Ripanykhazova
    ><news.rnc.com@?.?> writes
    >>
    >>or the Mac does not work)?
    >>Good point: There generally arent any jumpers on these laptop drives as
    >>they arent designed to be put in with other drives.
    >
    >I did wonder whether there are any jumpers, the manual for the M700 does
    >not show any jumper settings.
    >
    >> (this may not be the
    >>case with that side-bay drive on the Armada but I didnt think you could load
    >>an OS on it?)
    >
    >I assume not, only on the primary drive.
    >
    >>I did put another empty drive unjumpered into the Armada and
    >>it loaded Windows 2000 succesfully so I thought I could load an OS onto an
    >>unformatted drive this easily. >
    >
    >Windows 2000 and XP do include everything required to partition and
    >format a drive, and my experience has been that they are easy to use.
    >
    >>> What is the ex-MAC drive (manufacturer and model/part number)
    >>The drive is a Toshiba 15 gig
    >
    >I was hoping that you would find a model number. On the Toshiba's they
    >begin MK followed by 4 digits and then 2 or three alpha characters. It
    >probably does not matter now.
    >
    >> and running PowerMax.exe (I can't find a
    >>Toshiba test)
    >
    >Nor could I
    >
    >> shows it passes quick format tests and in the last stages
    >>fails the full advanced format test on some arcane point
    >
    >I am surprised you got that far; PowerMax is supposed to check that the
    >drive is a Maxtor or a Quantum drive.
    >

    >>I may try to Partition the drive (Fdisk) on a desktop as you suggest
    >>

    >I meant you to do it in the M700, in the multibay or the primary
    >position.
    >
    >I am running out of ideas now and am wondering if the drive is faulty.
    >The trouble is, replacement parts for laptops are so expensive.
    >
    >--
    >Nicholas David Richards -
    >
    >"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Ben
    Did I not do adequately by completely formatting the drive in Partition
    Commander? I admit I did try ignoring the contents and reformatting it and
    it was completely formatted FAT32 and is now quick-formatted NTFS: Is there
    any possibility that any Apple sectors remain which prevent NTLDR being
    either put in the proper place OR being seen on boot? If so what should I do
    having formatted it so many times?

    I admit, the full format did take hours and numerous bad sectors were
    identified but when it was finished, there were only a few tiny parts of the
    drive which showed up as being unusable, less than a few megabytes out of a
    15 Gig hard drive. That is why I am trying it: I will do a Norton Disc
    DOctor on the drive when I have an OS installed and see if it is disastrous,
    Then I will take a decision on whether I should replace this drive on a
    tertiary-use computer. I certainly dont intend putting anything significant
    on it or anything I wouldnt mind losing: This will probably be my living
    room computer for surfing the internet while I am watching television, If I
    come across a 'favorite' I need to add to a bookmark, I can surely do this
    across a network?

    > 3. Does the full capacity of the drive show up in the system BIOS setup or
    when
    > formatted with the DOS FORMAT command? If not, then there is no simple
    and easy
    > workaround for notebook computer with a BIOS that imposes hard drive
    capacity
    > limitations.

    I am not sure that an Armada M700 is a BIOS that imposes hard drive
    capacity limitations.

    > 4. If the drive was previously used on a Mac, I would suggest zeroing out
    all
    > the sectors on the drive before attempting any of the steps needed to
    install
    > Windows. PowerMax has this feature. Actually, it's only necessary to
    wipe out
    > the first sectors on the drive, not the entire drive contents. Mac hard
    disk
    > formats are entirely incompatible with Windows, and may be creating
    confusion
    > with some part of the installation process... Ben Myers

    Do YOU think this is preventing NTLDR being seen on a drive which has been
    full-formatted three or four times now, both in FAT32 and NTFS?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Not sure if this constitutes unwarranted trolling but I did manage to get
    this whole thing working and an OS installed by formatting the HDD to a size
    which seemed to make the C partition smaller than the position where the bad
    sectors started on the hard drive: Now everything works fine. It is a 16 gig
    drive with only about 10 meg of bad sectors.

    PROBLEM: The C parttiion is only 2 gigs.(it is continuuosly reporting
    running out of space despite having put the pagesys file and all program
    files and data files on the D drive) So I want to expand it into the D
    partitoin using Partition Commander which can do this easily (even if it
    does entail possibly putting a bad sector on to the C partition)

    Does anyone know why the M700 is the only computer I have of all my laptops
    and desktops which will not recognise the Partition Commander boot disc as a
    boot disc?

Compaq Light Hard Drives Computers