Closed

Calling Charges Possiblty Bogus (Cellco Partnership ?) ?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 27, 2005 1:01:31 PM

Hello:

Was wondering if anyone might shed any light on this.
Live in metro west Boston

Just got my land line normal house telephone bill, and saw a few charges to
a Rochester, MA number which I don't recognize.

We do have two cel phones also.

Doing a reverse phone lookup, I got the following answer:

"The phone number "(508) 789-2288" is a Rochester, MA based phone number
and the registered carrier is Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless - Ma.
However, due to number portability, some numbers have been transferred to a
new service provider other than the registered carrier."

Who is Cellco Partnership ? Are they "bogus" ?

Are they part of Verizon Wireless ?

What's going on ?

Thanks,
Bob
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 2:14:36 PM

Cellular Companies frequently have "dba's". Here in Omaha Verizon is "xxxxx
d/b/a Verizon Wireless". With so many mergers and acquisitions there are
bound to be many d/b/a's.

"Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote in message
news:D OidncBqlMIlIdvfRVn-iw@comcast.com...
> Hello:
>
> Was wondering if anyone might shed any light on this.
> Live in metro west Boston
>
> Just got my land line normal house telephone bill, and saw a few charges
> a Rochester, MA number which I don't recognize.
>
> We do have two cel phones also.
>
> Doing a reverse phone lookup, I got the following answer:
>
> "The phone number "(508) 789-2288" is a Rochester, MA based phone number
> and the registered carrier is Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless -
Ma.
> However, due to number portability, some numbers have been transferred to
> new service provider other than the registered carrier."
>
> Who is Cellco Partnership ? Are they "bogus" ?
>
> Are they part of Verizon Wireless ?
>
> What's going on ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

March 27, 2005 3:30:58 PM

Gary Fead wrote:
> Cellular Companies frequently have "dba's". Here in Omaha Verizon is "xxxxx
> d/b/a Verizon Wireless". With so many mergers and acquisitions there are
> bound to be many d/b/a's.

Pretty much universal in business as we trend to just a few companies
owning everything. It is not uncommon to see "Industrial Megacompany
Corp" /d/b/a "Mom's Home Style cookies"
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:24:59 PM

Robert11 wrote:

> "The phone number "(508) 789-2288" is a Rochester, MA based phone number
> and the registered carrier is Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless - Ma.
> However, due to number portability, some numbers have been transferred to a
> new service provider other than the registered carrier."
>
> Who is Cellco Partnership ? Are they "bogus" ?
> Are they part of Verizon Wireless ?

They ARE Verizon Wireless.

Cellco Partnership, I believe, is the actual corporate name of the joint
venture between Verizon and Vodafone. Verizon Wireless is the DBA ("Doing
Business As") name. (Or for those who live here in California... the legal term
is "Fictitious Business Name."

--New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:18:53 PM

"Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote in message
news:D OidncBqlMIlIdvfRVn-iw@comcast.com...

> Doing a reverse phone lookup, I got the following answer:
>
> "The phone number "(508) 789-2288" is a Rochester, MA based phone number
> and the registered carrier is Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless -
> Ma. However, due to number portability, some numbers have been transferred
> to a new service provider other than the registered carrier."
>
> Who is Cellco Partnership ? Are they "bogus" ?
>
> Are they part of Verizon Wireless ?
>
> What's going on ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

That doesn't sound like a reverse search as much as a "which phone company
provides service" for this number. Indeed, Cellco DBA as Verizon Wireless.
Look here:

http://www.hoovers.com/cellco-partnership/--ID__100576-...

Remember-- Google is your friend;-)

Cleburne
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:18:54 PM

In news:N1B1e.6613$z.347@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
Patrick Cleburne <reb@_rebyell.xcom> typed:

> That doesn't sound like a reverse search as much as a "which phone
> company provides service" for this number. Indeed, Cellco DBA as
> Verizon Wireless. Look here:
>
> http://www.hoovers.com/cellco-partnership/--ID__100576-...
>
> Remember-- Google is your friend;-)
>
> Cleburne

Your link gives a page which says:
Page Not Found
We're sorry, but the page you requested may have moved. We've redesigned our
site and as a result many addresses have changed.

If you reached this page by:

a.. Clicking on a link from another site or an old newsletter,
b.. Following a bookmark, or
c.. Typing the address into your browser
please try a search to find the information you were looking for.

If you are trying to follow a link from within Hoover's, please let us
knowwhich page you're looking for.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:19:36 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:13:07 -0600, "IMHO IIRC" <nospam@nospam.net>
wrote:

>In news:N1B1e.6613$z.347@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
>Patrick Cleburne <reb@_rebyell.xcom> typed:
>>
>> That doesn't sound like a reverse search as much as a "which phone
>> company provides service" for this number. Indeed, Cellco DBA as
>> Verizon Wireless. Look here:
>>
>> http://www.hoovers.com/cellco-partnership/--ID__100576-...
>>
>> Remember-- Google is your friend;-)
>>
>> Cleburne
>

>Your link gives a page which says:
>Page Not Found
>We're sorry, but the page you requested may have moved. We've redesigned our
>site and as a result many addresses have changed.
>
>If you reached this page by:
>
> a.. Clicking on a link from another site or an old newsletter,
> b.. Following a bookmark, or
> c.. Typing the address into your browser
>please try a search to find the information you were looking for.
>
>If you are trying to follow a link from within Hoover's, please let us
>knowwhich page you're looking for.

I clicked on the link and opened the page with no problem.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:35:46 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:01:31 -0500, "Robert11" <rgsrose@notme.com> wrote:
>Who is Cellco Partnership ? Are they "bogus" ?
>Are they part of Verizon Wireless ?

Verizon Wireless *is* Cellco Partnership, which is a joint venture of
Verizon Communications and Vodafone.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

Cellco Partnership is Verizon Wireless real name

They just do business as Verizon Wireless

Intresting that many people who work for Verizon Wireless don't know
that. :ah:

--
agentHibby
March 30, 2005 8:13:13 AM

Gary Fead wrote:
> Cellular Companies frequently have "dba's". Here in Omaha Verizon is "xxxxx
> d/b/a Verizon Wireless". With so many mergers and acquisitions there are
> bound to be many d/b/a's.

Another part of the d/b/a's is corporate liability. If a wholly owned
subsidiary of a company ends up in legal trouble or going bankrupt, it
helps prevent dragging down the entire company with it. For example, if
company National owns company Regional which owns company City, and City
ends up in legal trouble, the limited liability portion of a corporation
may kick in, preventing company City from dragging down the entire
company National.

TH
November 17, 2009 5:57:11 PM

HELL YEAH ITS BOGUS THAT PEOPLE STALK YOU FROM NUMBERS THROUGH CELLCO. COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY IS SOMETHING ELSE. ESPECIALLY FOR PERVERTS!!!! THEY'RE UNTRACEABLE!!!!! IV'E BEEN HARASSED FOR MONTHS.......BUT I KNOW WHO IT IS. IVE' CHANGED PH NUMBERS AND ELIMINATES FOLK. PEOPLE KNOW WHO U GIVE YOUR NUM TO. ITS IMPORTANT.
Anonymous
March 24, 2010 2:06:50 AM

HOTMEL said:
HELL YEAH ITS BOGUS THAT PEOPLE STALK YOU FROM NUMBERS THROUGH CELLCO. COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY IS SOMETHING ELSE. ESPECIALLY FOR PERVERTS!!!! THEY'RE UNTRACEABLE!!!!! IV'E BEEN HARASSED FOR MONTHS.......BUT I KNOW WHO IT IS. IVE' CHANGED PH NUMBERS AND ELIMINATES FOLK. PEOPLE KNOW WHO U GIVE YOUR NUM TO. ITS IMPORTANT.

I have like 120 minutes on my bill from a cellco number. are these calls really ccoming thru or is this a stalker or someone using this line/
July 24, 2011 12:37:51 AM

Hello ,

We are receiving calls from 602-449-8454 for many weeks now and I am unable to locate this person' name this account that goes thru Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon, I have check the local white pages and called phone company which I will be regestering a complaint and called Verizon.

I am asking if anyone out there can help me in finding out who this person is.. Any help will be appreciated

Thank you in advance,
Vickie
August 29, 2011 1:21:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish