i want a good log firewall analyzer

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 27, 2004 5:26:16 AM

i need a good log firewall analyzer, but not WEBTRENDS.

anything more?

thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2004 11:26:47 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:26:16 +0200, Blacky spoketh

>i need a good log firewall analyzer, but not WEBTRENDS.
>
>anything more?
>
>thanks

Well, that depends on your firewall ... do you want us to guess what
you're using?

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
April 27, 2004 7:27:48 PM

> Well, that depends on your firewall ...
> do you want us to guess what you're
> using?

Uh .. problems with your crystal ball Lars :-) ??
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2004 7:27:49 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:27:48 +0200, ObiWan spoketh

>> Well, that depends on your firewall ...
>> do you want us to guess what you're
>> using?
>
>Uh .. problems with your crystal ball Lars :-) ??

Yeah, I sent it back for warranty repair...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
April 28, 2004 4:50:58 AM

i have a DLINK DFL-500

and sends logs in tho formats, standard (i think), and WELF (Webtrends
Enhanced Log Format)

i am using KIWI Syslog to capture the log to my computer, but i need some
software to help me to analyze the info.

Blacky

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> escribió en el mensaje
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 01:26:16 +0200, Blacky spoketh
>
> >i need a good log firewall analyzer, but not WEBTRENDS.
> >
> >anything more?
> >
> >thanks
> >

> Well, that depends on your firewall ... do you want us to guess what
> you're using?
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)
April 28, 2004 3:27:43 PM

> i have a DLINK DFL-500
>
> and sends logs in tho formats, standard (i think), and WELF (Webtrends
> Enhanced Log Format)
>
> i am using KIWI Syslog to capture the log to my computer, but i need some
> software to help me to analyze the info.

Ok, this sounds somewhat better :-) .. well, if I remember it
correctly the Kiwi should be able to log to an ODBC database
now, such a thing may allow you to create (e.g.) and Access
database, setup the Kiwi to log on it and then use whatever
query tool to extract the infos you need

That said, I've tested the Kiwi for a while but at the moment I'm
using the SL4NT which works well enough, in this case I use a
small access VBA script to perform a scheduled import of the
syslog data into the access DB, this then allows me to query
the log infos at will performing filtering/sorting as needed
!