fatfro

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
I'm trying to install 2 80mm case fans in my case one in the front and one the back. I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right. The rear fan seems easy just screw it in throuhg the back, but is there anything else I should be using any other kind of mounting stuff I need, or will the screws be enough to hold the fan securely in place? The front however looks like I have to take off the front face of the case to be able to screw in the fan. Is this correct? Or should I be using a fan mount instead? Thanks for your input.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
just make sure theyre tight, a loose fan will vibrate and drive you nuts. for the front, there is usually a plastic piece that has slots to accomodate full size peripherals, you mount the fan in there. if your case doesnt have one screws will work. you may have to do some drilling. i highly recomend you take every thing out before you start drilling on the case.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

worsie

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
As mentioned by jihiggs, front fan should be intake (and mounted low) and rear fan should be exhaust(and mounted high). If you can easily find some small rubber rings, you can place those between the fans and the housing to reduce possible vibrations. Also, the more material is in the way of the airflow, the more noise the fan will create and the less air it will move. Usually there are a bunch of holes drilled in the metal of the case for the airflow of fans. If you want to optimise the airflow you can cut out the metal that covers the fan and then install a fingerguard for savety. The surface of the fingerguard is much smaller than the metal, thus the airflow will be better. Inside the computer you should tuck all cables as much away as possible so they won't disturb the airflow internally.

Hopes this helps youout a bit :)