A question about thermal grease?

Methos

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I've been reading up on Arctic Silver III since it seems to be the number 1 thermal grease option out there. I was wondering though according to the specs for AS3 it is:
Arctic Silver III features
* Made with 99.9% pure micronized silver.
* Over 70% silver content by weight.
* Temperature range: -40C to >160C
* Controlled triple phase viscosity.
* Thermal conductivity: >9.0 W/m°K (Hot Wire Method Per MIL-C-47113)
* Thermal Resistance: <0.0024°C-in²/Watt (0.001 inch layer)
* 4 to 15 degrees C lower CPU core temperatures than standard compounds or pads.
* Negligible electrical conductivity.

And this is available at my local Compusa:
99.9% pure micronized silver
75-80% silver content by weight
Thermal conductivity 8.2 w/m degrees Kelvin
External Temp. Limits; -60 degrees to 170 degrees
5-10 degrees C lower CPU core temperature that standard compounds or pad.

Arent these pretty much the same thing? or is there something else in AS3 that makes it much better?

The reason Im asking is I would like to get some HQ Silver Thermal Grease for peace of mind and also for OCing. Would I be okay with the stuff from Compusa, or should I order some AS3? I cant seem to find any AS3 locally but I can order it if need be.

Thank you

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
they will probly have the same performance but the cheap stuff could dry up and actually evaporate. as3 is designed not to do that.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
if i were you, i would avoid the no brand. besides, AS3 dosn't cost that much anyway. but keep in mind, AS3 is good for small surface areas, such as a cpu die. i found it's really hard 2 get a full contact between the hsf and a video card's core because its not as sticky compare to the normal white grease.

worsie

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2001
When buying Arctic silver you at least have a "guarantee" on the particle size. I have no idea how large the silver particles are in the no name brand. You want the paste to be as fine as possible, as larger particles will increase the distance between processor and heatsink, and it will also cause a decreased contact area as smaller particles fill irregularities better.
If you want to be save, you should go with AS, if you can get more info on the noname product you can be more sure about it's quality. They both say "micronised silver", but that is only a term, not an exact indication.