Removing a Heatsink/Fan

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I have a PCI Nvidia Vanta Graphics Card (Dont laugh) and I want to remove the heatsink so that I can overclock it, how can I do this without breaking the chip?

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
"I want to remove the heatsink so that I can overclock it..."
Whoa there!! When you overclock, the card gets HOTTER so why would you want to remove the heatsink ??

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i think what he meant is that, take off the stock HSF and replace it with a new one.
so is the hsf glued on to the core(no push pin)?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
lol, it may be crap but its the best ive got at the moment, and yes i do plan on replacing the hsf with another, better one. So any ideas, something to do with putting it in a freezer I was told???

If all else fails, Go further :)

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i did that 2 my radeon 8500, my experience is that it didn't help much. you can give it go anyway. but if your hsf is mounted by pushpin, you just need 2 remove them and the hsf will come off. if it's glued on to the core, then just put the card in to a plastic bag and pop in 2 the freezer for couple of mins. then get a credit card or some plastic card and a screw driver ( small flat head ). put the credit card underneath the screwdriver, then slip the screwdriver gently under the hsf, now dont' try to lift the screw driver trying to pop the hsf off, instead, simply turn the hadle, use a bit of strength but carefull not to let it scracth your centry old Vanta, the hsf should come off. now get some acetone and clean off the residue on top of the core, order some arctic silver adhensive, read the application instruction at arcticsilver.com and you ready to mod your card. good luck

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks for the advice, thats all i needed to know, im now contemplating the idea of buying a geforce2 GTS and trying it on that instead, might get some better results.
By the way is vanta older than TNT, was it the first ever nVidia chip out?

The Vanta was actually introduced well after the initial launch of the TNT and TNT2. It's a very low end budget card with almost zero performance, especially compared to today's cards.

Sex is great but it's no substitute for the real thing.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Vanta is a cut down version of the TNT2 with greatly reduced performance.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
If I increase the clock speed to that of the real TNT2 will it increase the vanta to the TNT2's performance? Or is the architecture of the chip completely different?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't remember what they did to the Vanta to make it slower, I only remember that the M64 used 64-bit instead of 128-bit SDRAM.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ahh, so Vanta also uses 64-bit memory. looks like i cant overclock it that far then, but ill keep trying.
BTW, i get 461 on 3DMark2001, is this good considering I have a P3 750, and 192mb Ram? (I can O/C to get 602)

Im also hopefully getting a Geforce2MX soon, will these but such a big improvement considering I have a PCI bus?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm guessing you don't have an AGP slot? PCI slot cards will severely castrate any performance you should get out of a card. I mean I have a GF2MX AGP in a PIII600E and I get ~2000 3D Mark2K1s. That same card in a PCI will probably get 600-800 3D Marks I'd say. Overclocked, it might reach 1000. What games do you play? I mean if you're just doing this to get a better score, it's not worth it.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I mainly play Counterstrike and Medal Of Honour Allied Assault. Wow, i didnt realise it took off that much performance. So really theres no point in getting the geforce 2 mx, it wont make much difference?

Im not really interested in my score, but more in fps, as at the moment I usually get about 30. Will getting an MX improve this, or is the PCI still a bottleneck?
If all else fails, Go further :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tombance on 07/03/02 04:01 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a motherboard, and a card. BX motherboards that will accept that CPU are fast, reliable, and cheap now.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thats just what I was thinking of doing... looking on newegg right now. Just one question, do you need a micro atx mobo to fit into a micro atx case, or will an atx mobo fit into any kind of atx case (full tower, mid, micro etc)?

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Not sure what you want to know but if you have a decent case that isn't really small it should fit ATX boards...

And if I were you see if you can pick sommet better than an MX up as they are genrally pretty weak.

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok, im just about to confront my parents with the idea of buying a new mobo for our comp. Ive dedided that the gigabyte GA-6OXT-A woulsd be good for me as it has all the features i need (e.g AGP lol) and is also cheap @ about £50 at newegg. Ive decided to buy a new enermax case aswell as the one i have at the moment is micro atx, has 'Emachines' logo on it and only has 150 watt psu.
Will i need to reformat my HD to do this, as considering my parents use this comp aswell, im not sure if they would be happy to do this or not. Anyhow, i could probably blag them into doing it and it might give me a new chance to get rid of windows ME (to be replaced with 98). Im also about to cancel the order on my PCI card (it isnt in stock yet so it aint been delivered), and will probably replace it with a geforce3 cos im not that rich considering i just spent £100.

Anyway any comments on this would be nice (dont try reccomending that i get a really good £300 mobo or nething, i cant afford much more han wat im getting at the moment)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Micro ATX cases have only 4 slots on the back. If your case has only 4 slots, it won't support anything larger than a Micro ATX board. The Asus CUBX was about half the price of that Gigabyte board at www.surpluscomputers.com, if it's still on sale.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks Crashman but ive already ordered the gigabyte board now. anyway I would prefer to have the i815EP board as im likely to keep this setup for some time now, the BX boards seem a little outdated to me.
BTW, do you know of any good UK online computer store? At the moment I use Dabs but I would like to try something different with a bigger range of products.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, USA here. I ditched my CUSL2 for the SLIGHTLY superior performance/stability/compatability of the BX a while back

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok, my mobo and case havent arrived yet but ive just been out and bought a Geforce2 MX400 card. Its made by gainward and looks kinda funky cos its on a red PCB, has anyone ever had this card. Opinions/reviews would be openly welcomed. If its crap im sure i can make up some excuse to take it back. Also is this card any good for overclocking?

TRENDING THREADS