Trouble Releasing IP in win2k

kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
hey all,

I restarted my computer after downloading a Windows 2k hotfix from Microsoft, and when it came back into windows my AOL instant messenger couldn't connect and I can't connect to the internet. It gives me a "page cannot be displayed". Usually to fix this problem I release and renew my IP, but when I went to do ipconfig/release, I get: "All apadters bound to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses. The adresses were automatically configured and can not be released." I can't even connect to my gateway router, which is a D-Link 704. Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Now we're rockin like dokken!

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
sounds like it didnt pickup the dhcp initially, or the ip is statically assigned, whats the ip set to before you try and renew it?

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
I have "Obtain IP Address Automatically" checked in my TCP/IP properties, so I'm guessing a static IP is not the problem. What do you mean by it may not be picking up the DHCP initially? I'm at work right now but I'll check what ipconfig says my IP is when I get home.

Thanks

kye199

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2001
OK, I did an ipconfig and here's what I get:
Connection Specific DNS Suffix : BLANK
Autoconfig IP address: 169.254.0.0
Subnetmask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gatewa: BLANK

When I try to renew I get an error that the DHCP server is unreachable.

Anything anyone can reccomend to try?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
the DHCP server is definitely unavailable. That 169.254.XXXX.XXX address is a default address when it can't get an address. Check cabling, etc. to see why you can't reach the DHCP server.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Since you downloaded a hotfix, and THEN you encountered the issue, I doubt that your problem is that your DHCP server is unavailable.

The 169.X.X.X address means that Windows didn't get a response from a DHCP server, and has automatically configured your adapter on the default subnet.

Where is the problem? My guess is that it is either in the NIC driver or the IP stack.

An exact solution would be tough without trying a bunch of stuff. Here's what I'd try:

Remove the NIC driver, reboot, and reinstall the driver (maybe a newer one?). The nice thing is that it should default to DHCP following the reinstallation, so you'll know right away if this worked.

If that doesn't work, and you've checked your cabling, etc., I'd try another network card. If you have the same result, you definitely have a problem with your IP stack, and you'll have to use the MS Knowledge base to fix it. Likely it will involve deleting and adding files, and editing the registry.

Good luck!

Joshua

jvanber

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Sure, as long as the hot-fix didn't slipstream itself into the source-files, in which case he'll get the same behavior. It could even be a problem with some of the keys in the registry dealing with TCP/IP (assuming the IP reinstall doesn't work). I've seen this happen before, and there is a tech-net article that tells you specifically which keys need to be manually deleted, and some will need to be manually re-created.

Joshua

At any rate, if it gets to this, he's likely dealing with the MS knowledgebase.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
It'd be nice to know what the hotfix was...
it would indeed, personally I think its just the fact that the dhcp server is either unavailable for whatever reason, or theres a physical connection problem

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
that falls in line with the "always work bottom up" network debugging school of thought, which I've always found to work best for me (95% of problems are usually physical)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>