Winter's Roar taken down

Looks like Winter's Roar, the free EQ server with expansions only through
Velious, was the subject of a Cease-and-Desist order from SOE. It's down
and may never come back up.

I kinda have mixed feelings about that. I mean, yeah, SOE has to vigorously
defend its rights. It seemed, though, that allowing a free server would
only arouse interest in the for-pay version of the game.

Myself, I can't imagine being stuck in the Velious expansion. No Nexus? No
PoK? No Bazaar? Having to take boats everywhere? I remember those things
with fondness only because they were unpleasant experiences I overcame, not
because they are things I care to go through again. =)

Still, I know quite a few people thought EQ was at its height during the
Velious years, and longed to recapture that spirit, thus they enjoyed
Winter's Roar immensely. Too bad it got taken down.

--
-Richard

Monual Lifegiver
Prelate of Rodcet Nife
Povar server
3 answers Last reply
More about winter roar down

    I'm sorry to see it go. I played it for the last 2 months and really
    enjoyed it. It brought back a lof of old memories of what EQ was like in
    the old days, before it go so huge. I always felt like it was a matter of
    time before Sony ruined it.

    <nouma@msn.com> wrote:
    > Looks like Winter's Roar, the free EQ server with expansions only through
    > Velious, was the subject of a Cease-and-Desist order from SOE. It's down
    > and may never come back up.
    >
    > I kinda have mixed feelings about that. I mean, yeah, SOE has to vigorously
    > defend its rights. It seemed, though, that allowing a free server would
    > only arouse interest in the for-pay version of the game.
    >
    > Myself, I can't imagine being stuck in the Velious expansion. No Nexus? No
    > PoK? No Bazaar? Having to take boats everywhere? I remember those things
    > with fondness only because they were unpleasant experiences I overcame, not
    > because they are things I care to go through again. =)
    >
    > Still, I know quite a few people thought EQ was at its height during the
    > Velious years, and longed to recapture that spirit, thus they enjoyed
    > Winter's Roar immensely. Too bad it got taken down.

    I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back. It really depends on whether
    the person(s) in charge of Winter's Roar can get some pro bono or at least
    greatly reduced legal fees. Of course, a lawyer, if they manage to get one
    working for them, will tell them that shutting down in response to the cease
    and desist letter is tantamount to an admission of wrongdoing and thus was
    the worst possible thing to do. If they were going to fight, they had to
    start fighting from the beginning.

    Richard Lawson wrote:
    > Looks like Winter's Roar, the free EQ server with expansions only through
    > Velious, was the subject of a Cease-and-Desist order from SOE. It's down
    > and may never come back up.

    I never really looked into winter's roar but now that I looked at the
    page it looks(ed) interesting. I followed some links and not sure if I
    read it right but could I set up an original EQ ( maybe Kunark too ) on
    my home comp that I could play?

Games Servers Video Games