Overclocking Soyo Dragon Ultra (Platinum) Edition

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I am building a new system, and I just purchased the Soyo Dragon Ultra (Platinum) Edition MoBo. I've decided to get the AMD Athlon XP 2000+, now my question is, what are my overclocking possibilities? I will be using the CoolerMaster HHC-001 CPU cooler w/ HeatPipes. So what multiplier should I run and how high should I go on my FSB? I almost forgot I will be running two DDR370 CMX3000 Corsair 512MB, XMS series w/ heat spreaders.
Ive got the CoolerMaster ATC-210 (Fog Verdant), one sweet case...seeing is falling in love...This thing is a beauty...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kdo2milger on 06/23/02 08:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Got pics? Everyone likes to see an O/Cer's baby!

GearJammer

GearJammer
<A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_994.html" target="_new">THGC Seti Team Stats</A>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Unlock the AXP, then set the multiplier lower, to about 9 or 10, then pump the FSB as high as possible. A popular level seems to be 166Mhz FSB, although you can get higher than that. The highest stable air cooled overclock i've seen is 183Mhz FSB on an Abit AT-7 with an Alpha heatsink. *shrugs* I have a Soyo Dragon Ultra (regular), which is pretty much the same board. I stably have it running at 1725Mhz with a FSB of 11, and a multiplier of 11.5 (haven't unlocked it yet) using a Global Win CAK-II 38 heatsink. Do you have basic Corsair PC-2700 or the XMS ram? THe XMS can take higher speeds...overclocking is dependant on the quality of your ram as well as your CPU.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
This is my first baby, so I'm taking it one paycheck at a time (literally). I'm using a laptop to do all of my research for this special project, and I do not have a digital camera. I do have a Mini dv camcorder, but I'm not to impressed with the resolution, though I will send pics to you as time goes on.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I will have the xms corsair w/ heat spreaders (2x512MB), and I ordered the xp unlocking kit from highspeedpc.com, if you havent got a kit yet, look it up on there website. They have the instructions posted on website, they also have links to reviews on the product that are very helpful in making us successful @ unlocking xp's up to 2000+, 2100+ involves cutting bridges and I'm not sure its worth the risk so I'll stick with the 2000+. You said you are running 1725 stable, but what xp series do you have? I.E. 1800, 1900, or 2000+. Also you mentioned FSB of 11?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, yes, you could get an unlocking kit, but all you really need is some solder & tin foil, or some conductive silver laquer, anything that conducts electricity, and can be aplied to the L1 gaps. I used silver laquer, I got from a hobby shop to use on model rockets to repair launchers. Cutting bridges can be used to change voltage and multiplier permanently, unless you rebridge the gaps. *shrugs* I don't THINK you need to cut bridges, although I could be wrong.

I have an AXP 1800+ Palamino, one of the new green tinted ones. I'm not sure what stepping it has, although it seems to be one of the better yields.

Also you mentioned FSB of 11?
I don't think I said that...I meant to say multiplier of 11.5 for an AthlonXP 1800+, you can't change the multiplier in the BIOS till you unlock the AXP. If you want to get higher FSB speeds, you usually need to decrease the multiplier in the Athlons. I found it worked well at 1725 with 150Mhz FSB and an 11.5 multiplier, while it was locked. I managed to get 1666 with 166Mhz FSB and a 10 multiplier, just recently unlocked. You can most likely go beyond that, although I find 166Mhz FSB a good spot for balance of speed and multiplier.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I purchased the Platinum Edition MOBO and the Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA)550W PSU. I have not powered it up yet due to the fact that I am still purchasing components to build my First DIY. So my question is Overclockability w/ Enermax, I've read in other posts some very disturbing results and am anxious to here other good vs. evil stories anyone may have w/ a similair set-up as mine.

<font color=purple>Specs of Final System Assy listed below:

<font color=green>Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra (Platinum) Edition, w/ Sigma E-box painted silver w/ Testors model spray paint -Purchased
Cooler Master ATC-210 (Fog Verdant) case -Purchased
Enermax EG651P-VE (FMA) 550 watt PSU -Purchased
Cooler Master HHC-001 CPU cooler w/ a anodized blue aluminum 60mm to 92mm adapter, and a Sunon 92mm 46 cfm, 33dba regular fan -Purchased
Enermax Multi Function Access Panel (silver) -Purchased
Mitsumi Floppy Drive (w/ Lian-Li Aluminum Bezel) -Purchased
Artic Silver III CPU compound -Purchased
Silver ATA 133 & Floppy Rounded Cables -Purchased
WD Hard Drive WD800JB SE w/ 8MB Buffer -Purchased
MS Windows XP Home (OEM) -Purchased
Adaptec Duoconnect Combo Firewire & USB 2.0 PCI Card -Purchased
Athlon XP Unlocking Kit -Purchased
ATI AIW 8500 Radeon 128MB AGP -Purchased
Logitech Cordless Freedom w/ Optical Mouse Blk w/ Silver accents -Purchased
AMD Athlon XP2000+ -Awaiting pur
Corsair CMX3200C2.5 512MB w/ Heat Spreaders (Platinum, rev 2.1)XMS Series X 2-Awaiting pur
Pioneer A04 DVD+R/RW -Awaiting pur
Viewsonic LCD VX800 18" Monitor -Awaiting pur
TDK Tremor S150 2.1 Speakers -Awaiting pur

<font color=blue><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=651857#651857" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=651857#651857</A>

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I did a little bit of testing, had some conclusive results...here's the scoop.

Originally ran the Soyo mobo on an Enlight 300 Watt PSU
Unstable at best

Tested on an Antec 300 Watt PSU
Much more stable, but still hangs at startup (sometimes) or shutdown

Tested on an Antec 430 Watt PSU
Full stability

The results speak for themselves

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Your testing is encouraging, thanks for your results...

We all love disassembling things to see how it works, but who wants to put it back together again?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
*update*

The wierdest thing happened just earlier today. I was playing around with two power supplies, an Enlight 300Watt and an Antec 430Watt. For a few hours, both power supplies had the same boot problems. But, after connecting the Antec again, and choosing, "Load optimized defaults" in the bios, things instantly got better. This is a consistent improvement, and I was able to tweak and overclock further. Going for 183Mhz FSB with my Crucial PC-2100 DDR.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
:cool: You had your fsb at 183mhz, thats amazing, most people are saying they can't go above 144 stable. What was your multiplier set at? and I forgot which cpu you had...

<font color=purple>Heres a link to a Beta Bios Version (NOT RELEASED YET, OFFICIALLY) for the Platinum if your interested in that extra tweaking, I've heard very encouraging results. Don't have my DIY finnished yet so I'll have to wait till next payday to try this one...

<font color=blue><b><A HREF="http://download.viahardware.com/2ap1r.bin" target="_new">http://download.viahardware.com/2ap1r.bin</A>

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, that's the problem, it's not entirely stable at 183Mhz FSB, i've only had luck at about 166-170Mhz. Beyond that, i'm getting random lockups in memtest and 3DMark2001. I think my memory is holding me back. 1 stick of PC-266 Crucial DDR SDRAM CL2. Memory settings at 2-2-2, which I believe are too aggressive. I'm probably going to have to drop down to 170Mhz to get stability again. Temps not a problem yet, about 47-49 celsius under load. Multiplier at 10. An AGOGA Athlon XP Palamino. Currently dropped back down to 166Mhz FSB.

Heres a link to a Beta Bios Version (NOT RELEASED YET, OFFICIALLY) for the Platinum if your interested in that extra tweaking, I've heard very encouraging results. Don't have my DIY finnished yet so I'll have to wait till next payday to try this one...

yeah, I have the older 2ap1r.bin Bios, I haven't flashed the newer version yet. Tweaking looks pretty good so far, but i'm not sure what's in the new one. If I get any more info, i'll keep you informed.

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
with a name like "dragon ultra platinum" it outta be good ;c)

sounds like some 1970's seizure inducing cartoon show LOL

P4's are good to pee on.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
<font color=red><b>HOT...HOT...HOT

<font color=green><b>GOOD NEWS FOR ALL OF US THAT OWN SOYO KT333 DRAGON ULTRA PLATINUM MOBOS...

<font color=orange><b>A new Overclocked Bios was just released today!!!
<font color=purple>WELL, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, DOWNLOAD IT...

<b><A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/selectresults.php?col1=Proc_AMD+Athlon+XP%2C+T-Bird%2C+Duron&col2=46&col3=BIOS+Upgrade" target="_new">http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/selectresults.php?col1=Proc_AMD+Athlon+XP%2C+T-Bird%2C+Duron&col2=46&col3=BIOS+Upgrade</A>

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Have you tried the latest bios (KXBP2AA2.BIN) from soyos site its suppose to fix some problems I have seen here and in other forums?

The link above will take you there...

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm using the old BIOS, which seems to work perfectly fine. It probably would be better of me to try (maybe better overclocking), but i'm happy right now with my AXP doing 1666Mhz. Haven't managed to get 183Mhz FSB yet. I think my heatsink is holding me back...might be my ram. 256Mb of PC-2100 Crucial DDR.

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Well I got my diy up and running (halling a@# is more like it). I flashed to the 2ap1r bios and did notice an increase in benchmarks(pcmark2002)5368cpu,3907mem,1092hdd, and (3dmark2001se)9538. Had to rma the BayOne, I could only get xp to recognize it once the whole time...
I've got my 2000+xp oced @ 2200+ (1.78ghz) locked and fsb @ 143 w/ occasional screen freeze dam% hsf...I've gotta an alpha pal 8045 on the way w/ crystal (blue leds) 80mm 52cfm manual control fans x6 it was buy two get one free over at <A HREF="http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=F-CF808025VRL&Category_Code=F-80" target="_new">http://www.coolerguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=F-CF808025VRL&Category_Code=F-80</A>, I'm replacing the stock case fans too... trying to get my temps down, as I post this I'm at 44c at the core, thats actually the best I've seen it since initial start up, usually I'm up in the high 40's to lower 50's ouch and thats not even full load...I'll keep this post updated and add some picks too. (logitech clicksmart 510) nifty little camera...

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Here are some pics as promised...more on the way...

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~kdo2milger" target="_new">http://home.earthlink.net/~kdo2milger</A>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Nice pics Kdo

Keep us updated, i'll be updating my Soyo Dragon Ultra as well. If I can get some pictures, i'll put up my system. Considering getting a watercooling rig just to cool the CPU and Northbridge. Also, soon getting my hands on a single stick of Pc-3200 Corsair XMS 256mb.

AIM account
Drake Blazefire

ICQ #

If you ever want to chat it up, i'm sometimes on AIM or ICQ

True dumbass:
aha!! it has some kind of cuts, hehehe"
have you ever seen smoke from a seagate?