Xbox slim to computer speakers?

jfindley25

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

I use the new xbox 360 slim with an HDMI cable. Recently, I bought a monitor without speakers. I don't have a headset. I do have logitech z303 computer speakers though. How can I use my xbox with computer speakers, while using HDMI?

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
ok, so... i know that on the original xbox 360 someone had released a A/V cable that could be plugged in at the same time as the HDMI cable so that sound could be sent out the analog instead of digital, try looking in to something like that.

jfindley25

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I have done a little bit of research, and some people suggest breaking off the black casing of the a/v cable that came with the xbox slim. So, questions:

1. Should I use my HDMI cable directly to my monitor (it came with a port for hdmi) or should I use a HDMI to DVI converter?

2. If I plug in my a/v cables (came with my xbox) into a Y adapter (3.5mm), can I plug that into a 3.5mm headphone jack on the volume control and receive audio? I need an answer ASAP because I think I got it figured out!

Vukodlak

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
The headphone jack on the volume control is audio OUT, which means it only sends a signal out and can not receive one.

If you use the A/V cables, you could maybe get a RCA to mini jack adapter (female version) but that would mean you will have to disconnect your speakers from the computer and plug to the xbox vise versa to get the sound. but I believe that the sound will be terrible.

Another way you could try, the xbox slim has an optical out port. IF your pc sound card has OPT IN you could direct the sound from your xbox to your computer using an optic fiber, but that means you will need to have both your pc and xbox on at the same time and from the computer to your speakers.
If you have money to spare, you can buy speakers that have OPT in and plug your xbox directly to them using an optic fiber.

Vukodlak

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
That would be unwise, unless you like your sound full of bass.

Your best option is like I said, get one of those things

and just switch between the pc and xbox when you want to use either of them.

It shouldn't cost you more than $3, you can obviously get it for much cheaper if you look around.

But I would recommend either buying a pair of speakers that can support OPT, or use your xbox on a normal tv. because using this adapter will probably make the sound terrible.

jfindley25

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
you said the sound would be terrible, I dont want that lol

jfindley25

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
New idea, so if I bought a coupler, could I plug in the green part of the cable (going from subwoofer into back of PC)into the coupler, as well as plugging in a Y adapter into the other part of the coupler with vga going from the xbox, and HDMI plugging straight into the monitor, will it work?

Vukodlak

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Let me rephrase myself.
By "best" I meant the cheapest way.

With this out of the way, going by your new idea will result the same low quality sound (most likely it will be 90% clear sound but very low).
Secondly, doing this might and probably will burn your speakers.
Having 2 signals working at the same time from 2 different sources is a no no (it's not the same as having multiple tracks running on your computer).

Having this out of the way... if you REALLY want to use your monitor for the xbox you will have to cough out some money.
Either get PC speakers that have OPT input, or get that turtle beach headset. Both of those options aren't cheap! but you have to pay for quality.

*self bragging moment*
My sound system costs around $5000, but having my neighbors from 2 floors below come up and complain about noise is damn worth it! it just makes my day.

If you don't want to spend that much money, get that RCA to 3.5 adapter and deal with not perfect sound.

Lastly, if you don't want ANY of that, move your xbox to the living room and use the TV.

jfindley25

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I could only imagine the complaints! Thanks dude! If all else fails, I'll cough out the money I guess.

TRENDING THREADS