Finish Him - Thermality!

EntroPC

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
OK, here's the specs:
1600+ (w/TT Volcano 7+ and arctic silver3), A7V333, GeForce3 64MB (w/crystal orb), DVD, CDRW, 2X IBM 40GB/7200, midtower, 80mm intake & exhaust (1500RPM), system blower, dual fan Enermax 350W, absolutely no cables obstructing airflow.

And now the problem:
Ambient/CPU temps are at 29/60 celsius! Room temp avg - 80 Farenheit

Any ideas why my CPU temp is so high? I've tried new CPU, m/b, HS fan (coolermaster heatpipe), PSU but can't seem to figure why my temps are so high. System crashes out when running games. It's not even O/C'd yet and at this rate it never will be.

G

Isn't that one of those heat sinks that tries to throttle fan speed based on temp? If so that is where I would start.

As for the lockups, are the software crashes, hard locks, reboots, power downs etc? It seems like you are probably approaching the upper limit for what a 350 WAtter can supply. You may want to double check that.

EntroPC

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
The HS/fan has a switch to control fan speed (70mm):
low - 3500RPM
mid - 5000RPM
high - 6500RPM

The lockups are in windows after running 3d apps. Freezes and needs a reboot.

How do I find out if my PSU is not enough for the devices I've got?

G

since you get freezes, then that is leading me to believe your problem is heat related. Make sure your fan is set to the fast setting (well duh). Other than that...hmmm...

To get a rough estimate of power supply needs, find power requirements from the data sheets of all the components that are being powered by it, and add them together. Many times if you have a bit of experience you can guess accurately. PS my power statement was pulled from you know where, so you should try to do it as accurately as possible before relying on what I said.

G

Oh yeah, check the fans on your graphics card too. That used to happen to me, my GeForce Classic with DDR had a fan go dead. It locked up my system until I fixed that.

aikman

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2002
Where's the PSU located?

I had the same PSU in a minitower, where it hanged right above HSF, and Enermax's intake fan robs some of the air that's supposed to go to HSF. If you don't mind messing with the PSU, open it up, and disconnect the intake fan (it's connected with a plug, you don't need to cut anything).

EARTH.INI corrupted, cannot find GOD.SYS. Reboot universe? (Yes/No/Ignore)

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
It would seem to me that the cause of your heat problems is the ambient room temp of 29C/80F! Hard to cool a CPU with hot air. What kind of temps do you have outside of the house/room? If possible/practical, try to leave the window open and maybe set a house fan in front of it to draw in the fresh air.

Here in Washington state, we have been getting some high temps (80~90F) during the day and dropping off to around 60F at night. Of course, today is overcast and showers. So, my CPU temp fluctuates from 47~51C running SETI@Home.

One other thing to check is the type of thermal interface you are using. If using the TIM that came with the HSF, think about scraping that off and buy a tube of AS3 and use that. This will also enable you to make sure the HSF is properly seated. Could also be the base of the HSF isn't as flat as it could be and would be a good idea to consider lapping the base (this also worked for me).

Just some ideas for you to think about. Every situation is different, so everyone tries to give their best solution to fixin a fellow o/cer's problems.

GearJammer

GearJammer
<A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_994.html" target="_new">THGC Seti Team Stats</A>

G

Hey GearJammer, what's a good way to lap a heat sink, so that it ends up flat?

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I went to ACE Hardware store and bought a sheet of 320, 600, and 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (same type they use in autobody repair/paint shops) and started with the 320 grit taped to a glass table (this is to ensure a flat lap). I also had a single sheet of newspaper under the sandpaper to protect the table from the mess. Once you have all this set up, then use a plastic knife or card to scrape off the thermal pad that came with the HS.

Start with the 320 grit and some water. Dip the HS in the water and put it on the sandpaper and start with a back and forth stroke, turning 90deg every 10 strokes or so. Use very little downward pressure, in other words, you just want to move the HS on the sandpaper while its weight provides the downward pressure. This way you won't unintentionally press down on one edge more than the other and sand an angle to your HS! Keep the HS wet by dipping in the water. This will also help keep the sandpaper from 'clogging' up.

Check the bottom of the HS often to make sure that the entire surface is getting lapped/sanded. Once you see that this is accomplished, switch to the 600 grit and and do the same thing.

This is to make sure the bottom of the HS is flat and level. When you start using the 1500 grit, you will then see the mirror finish and know that your HS is as flat and smooth as possible with human intervention. About the only way I can think of getting it any flatter is using a laser or the technology that was used to make the Hubble telescope. :lol: Some will suggest that a small circular motion works best and others will say just use the back and forth motion. Trial and error will show you the best way to achieve the mirror finish that everyone talks about.

When using the 1500 grit, take your time. This entire operation goes better when you have a good movie or favorite music playing. Otherwise it gets very tedious.

Once you have a mirror finish to YOUR liking, then use soap and hot water to wash the HS off (HOT water helps it to dry quicker) and then before re-installing, apply a THIN coat of AS2 or 3 on the CPU die and install carefully.

GearJammer
<A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_994.html" target="_new">THGC Seti Team Stats</A>

G

Wow, maybe you should change your name to KeyboardJammer!

I'm going to try what you said when I buy a new heatsink, very soon. Been eying that Alpha PAL8045.

Oddly enough, I think that might be a good thing to try on my dirt bike head too...hmm

The advice is working for me on multiple levels. Thanks Alot for the help!!

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Actually, I'm attending Business Computer Training Institute and they teach people how to type as well as use the MS Office Suite programs. I can get up to 45wpm if I know what I'm typing about. That's why I went and just typed all that I did with my HS instead of just having you go Google the phrase 'heatsink lapping' or tell ya to take your HS to the techs that made the Hubble telescope. :smile: Just imagine how fine a job THEY could do with THEIR equipment!

You are quite welcome and I'm glad I was able to assist you with your troubles. Don't hesitate to ask questions here in this forum. You'll get an answer eventually, because someone here has had the same experience or have read the answer from someone else!

GearJammer