Printer won't print MS apps...

My mother-in-law's computer won't print from word, wordpad, works, or
notepad. It will print from pcture and fax viewer, OE, and IE. It is an old
HP 842c connected to parralel port (lpt-1). I have epp+ecp set in bios. I
have tried un/re-installing printer and drivers. Drivers from HP and
included with XP. All the printer does is spit out a blank sheet of paper.
Went through troubleshooter and printer will not print from command prompt
either. Could find no "online" option under properties of the printer. I've
just about exhausted all my options here. Any ideas?
Specs: WinXPpro-sp2, office 2003 pro, works 2000 ver.5, HP deskjet 842c
5 answers Last reply
More about printer print apps

    Help???

    "biguglyman" wrote:

    > My mother-in-law's computer won't print from word, wordpad, works, or
    > notepad. It will print from pcture and fax viewer, OE, and IE. It is an old
    > HP 842c connected to parralel port (lpt-1). I have epp+ecp set in bios. I
    > have tried un/re-installing printer and drivers. Drivers from HP and
    > included with XP. All the printer does is spit out a blank sheet of paper.
    > Went through troubleshooter and printer will not print from command prompt
    > either. Could find no "online" option under properties of the printer. I've
    > just about exhausted all my options here. Any ideas?
    > Specs: WinXPpro-sp2, office 2003 pro, works 2000 ver.5, HP deskjet 842c

    Your mil's HP842c printer only supports the ECP (Enhanced Capability Port)
    Protocol, not EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port). Check for the latest drivers from
    HP, even the ones for Win2K should work if none are listed for XP.

    "biguglyman" wrote:

    > Help???
    >
    > "biguglyman" wrote:
    >
    > > My mother-in-law's computer won't print from word, wordpad, works, or
    > > notepad. It will print from pcture and fax viewer, OE, and IE. It is an old
    > > HP 842c connected to parralel port (lpt-1). I have epp+ecp set in bios. I
    > > have tried un/re-installing printer and drivers. Drivers from HP and
    > > included with XP. All the printer does is spit out a blank sheet of paper.
    > > Went through troubleshooter and printer will not print from command prompt
    > > either. Could find no "online" option under properties of the printer. I've
    > > just about exhausted all my options here. Any ideas?
    > > Specs: WinXPpro-sp2, office 2003 pro, works 2000 ver.5, HP deskjet 842c

    BIOS is set to epp + ecp...that should work, right? Also have tried the
    latest (2002) drivers from HP. No go. This is really weird as it will print
    from IE or OE, just not the "document" programs like word etc. I think I'll
    take my USB printer over there this weekend and see if that works.

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Your mil's HP842c printer only supports the ECP (Enhanced Capability Port)
    > Protocol, not EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port). Check for the latest drivers from
    > HP, even the ones for Win2K should work if none are listed for XP.
    >
    > "biguglyman" wrote:
    >
    > > Help???
    > >
    > > "biguglyman" wrote:
    > >
    > > > My mother-in-law's computer won't print from word, wordpad, works, or
    > > > notepad. It will print from pcture and fax viewer, OE, and IE. It is an old
    > > > HP 842c connected to parralel port (lpt-1). I have epp+ecp set in bios. I
    > > > have tried un/re-installing printer and drivers. Drivers from HP and
    > > > included with XP. All the printer does is spit out a blank sheet of paper.
    > > > Went through troubleshooter and printer will not print from command prompt
    > > > either. Could find no "online" option under properties of the printer. I've
    > > > just about exhausted all my options here. Any ideas?
    > > > Specs: WinXPpro-sp2, office 2003 pro, works 2000 ver.5, HP deskjet 842c

    OK. Went back to bios and selected ecp. There was a "mode" selection
    available also. Default mode setting was 3. Other choice was 1. Tried
    both. Still no good. Tried newest driver I could find at driverguide.com.
    (2004) Still no good. This printer, hooked up to the parallel port just
    will NOT print word documents. In an interesting aside, I brought my Epson
    USB printer over and installed it. It works fine. I hate to think my mil
    has to buy a new printer because of this. Seems a little ridiculous to have
    to buy a new piece of hardware due to incompatability with certain MS apps.
    Any other ideas?

    "biguglyman" wrote:

    > BIOS is set to epp + ecp...that should work, right? Also have tried the
    > latest (2002) drivers from HP. No go. This is really weird as it will print
    > from IE or OE, just not the "document" programs like word etc. I think I'll
    > take my USB printer over there this weekend and see if that works.
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    > > Your mil's HP842c printer only supports the ECP (Enhanced Capability Port)
    > > Protocol, not EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port). Check for the latest drivers from
    > > HP, even the ones for Win2K should work if none are listed for XP.
    > >
    > > "biguglyman" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Help???

    YEAH! I finally fixed it. Now everything prints...on her new Canon USB
    printer. If it's any consolation, nobody at MS or other places I asked for
    help could figure this one out either.

    "biguglyman" wrote:

    > OK. Went back to bios and selected ecp. There was a "mode" selection
    > available also. Default mode setting was 3. Other choice was 1. Tried
    > both. Still no good. Tried newest driver I could find at driverguide.com.
    > (2004) Still no good. This printer, hooked up to the parallel port just
    > will NOT print word documents. In an interesting aside, I brought my Epson
    > USB printer over and installed it. It works fine. I hate to think my mil
    > has to buy a new printer because of this. Seems a little ridiculous to have
    > to buy a new piece of hardware due to incompatability with certain MS apps.
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > "biguglyman" wrote:
    >
    > > BIOS is set to epp + ecp...that should work, right? Also have tried the
    > > latest (2002) drivers from HP. No go. This is really weird as it will print
    > > from IE or OE, just not the "document" programs like word etc. I think I'll
    > > take my USB printer over there this weekend and see if that works.
    > >
    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Your mil's HP842c printer only supports the ECP (Enhanced Capability Port)
    > > > Protocol, not EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port). Check for the latest drivers from
    > > > HP, even the ones for Win2K should work if none are listed for XP.

Hewlett Packard Printers Windows XP