No way to print generic text to a file in Win XP?

I want to print a document to a plain text file, like I have with
earlier versions of Windows. Isn't there a way to do it with XP?

Musawwir Spiegel
musman@aprilfool.info

Install the Generic/Text Only printer driver by running the Add
printer wizard. Select File as the printer port. When you want to
print as a text file, select that driver and specify an appropriate file
name.

Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Musawwir Spiegel" <musman@aprilfool.info> wrote in message
:I want to print a document to a plain text file, like I have with
: earlier versions of Windows. Isn't there a way to do it with XP?
:
:
: Musawwir Spiegel
: musman@aprilfool.info

Thomas -

Thank you for your suggetion. The installation worked fine.

Musawwir

"Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote:

>Install the Generic/Text Only printer driver by running the Add
>printer wizard. Select File as the printer port. When you want to
>print as a text file, select that driver and specify an appropriate file
>name.
>
>Let us know.
>
>Tom
>MSMVP
>Windows Shell/User

Musawwir Spiegel
musman@aprilfool.info

I tried this installation, but I am prompted after I hit "Finish" to identify
the folder where the TTY.GPD driver file is located. I searched my hard
drive, Windows XP disk and Microsoft.com and cannot find this driver.

Any idea what I can do to install the generic printer so I can print to a
text file?

Thanks.

"Musawwir Spiegel" wrote:

> Thomas -
>
> Thank you for your suggetion. The installation worked fine.
>
> Musawwir
>
> "Thomas Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >Install the Generic/Text Only printer driver by running the Add
> >printer wizard. Select File as the printer port. When you want to
> >print as a text file, select that driver and specify an appropriate file
> >name.
> >
> >Let us know.
> >
> >Tom
> >MSMVP
> >Windows Shell/User
> >

> Musawwir Spiegel
> musman@aprilfool.info

it's in windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team