Unable to send fax - receiving fatal error in the extended..

Jenny

I am not sure if this is a coincidence, but the first time I open my computer
then connect to the internet via dial-up, then disconnect to send my fax
using MS WORD, the computer fax modem works. I can hear the fax modem in my
computer dialing the number and fax is sent successfully.

But if I open my computer the first time without connecting to the internet
via dial-up, and directly use my fax modem by sending MS WORD to the fax
recipient, it doesn't work. I only hear one dial then it suddenly stops.
When I checked the fax console, my fax is in the outbox. I tried restarting
it, but it fails everytime. The extended status says FATAL ERROR. When I
right click to choose properties, it says RETRIES EXCEEDED - fatal error.

This fax is working whenever I connect then disconnect in the internet. But
whenever I fax directly without having to connect to the internet, it is not
working.
Before I have no issue with this, because I can workaround of connecting and
disconnecting from my dial-up connection, now since I have changed my ISP to
cable connection, I am having this problems.

NOte: I am only using my fax to send and not to receive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Byte

Check your Fax configuration>Fax tab. You probably have "do not clear
recipients list between transmission" checked so it is not cleared.
By going to the Internet first you are resetting it and then the Fax works.

"Jenny" wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a coincidence, but the first time I open my computer
> then connect to the internet via dial-up, then disconnect to send my fax
> using MS WORD, the computer fax modem works. I can hear the fax modem in my
> computer dialing the number and fax is sent successfully.
>
> But if I open my computer the first time without connecting to the internet
> via dial-up, and directly use my fax modem by sending MS WORD to the fax
> recipient, it doesn't work. I only hear one dial then it suddenly stops.
> When I checked the fax console, my fax is in the outbox. I tried restarting
> it, but it fails everytime. The extended status says FATAL ERROR. When I
> right click to choose properties, it says RETRIES EXCEEDED - fatal error.
>
> This fax is working whenever I connect then disconnect in the internet. But
> whenever I fax directly without having to connect to the internet, it is not
> working.
> Before I have no issue with this, because I can workaround of connecting and
> disconnecting from my dial-up connection, now since I have changed my ISP to
> cable connection, I am having this problems.
>
> NOte: I am only using my fax to send and not to receive.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Jenny

Hey Byte,
Thank you for your response. I am confused as to how I will check the fax
configuration. I can't seem to see the Fax tab that you are referring.
Could you help show me where to find it? I would appreciate your help.
Thanks again.

"Byte" wrote:

> Check your Fax configuration>Fax tab. You probably have "do not clear
> recipients list between transmission" checked so it is not cleared.
> By going to the Internet first you are resetting it and then the Fax works.
>
> "Jenny" wrote:
>
> > I am not sure if this is a coincidence, but the first time I open my computer
> > then connect to the internet via dial-up, then disconnect to send my fax
> > using MS WORD, the computer fax modem works. I can hear the fax modem in my
> > computer dialing the number and fax is sent successfully.
> >
> > But if I open my computer the first time without connecting to the internet
> > via dial-up, and directly use my fax modem by sending MS WORD to the fax
> > recipient, it doesn't work. I only hear one dial then it suddenly stops.
> > When I checked the fax console, my fax is in the outbox. I tried restarting
> > it, but it fails everytime. The extended status says FATAL ERROR. When I
> > right click to choose properties, it says RETRIES EXCEEDED - fatal error.
> >
> > This fax is working whenever I connect then disconnect in the internet. But
> > whenever I fax directly without having to connect to the internet, it is not
> > working.
> > Before I have no issue with this, because I can workaround of connecting and
> > disconnecting from my dial-up connection, now since I have changed my ISP to
> > cable connection, I am having this problems.
> >
> > NOte: I am only using my fax to send and not to receive.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.

Good question. I know of no such path or option in Windows XP Fax. Perhaps
he was referring to the option to disable automatic retries, but I hardly
see how that would come into play until or unless you first had a fax fail.
Do you have other software that would access your modem using TAPI
protocols? It sound like something is failing to relinquish control of your
modem.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jenny" <Jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Byte,
> Thank you for your response. I am confused as to how I will check the fax
> configuration. I can't seem to see the Fax tab that you are referring.
> Could you help show me where to find it? I would appreciate your help.
> Thanks again.
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
>> Check your Fax configuration>Fax tab. You probably have "do not clear
>> recipients list between transmission" checked so it is not cleared.
>> By going to the Internet first you are resetting it and then the Fax
>> works.
>>
>> "Jenny" wrote:
>>
>> > I am not sure if this is a coincidence, but the first time I open my
>> > computer
>> > then connect to the internet via dial-up, then disconnect to send my
>> > fax
>> > using MS WORD, the computer fax modem works. I can hear the fax modem
>> > in my
>> > computer dialing the number and fax is sent successfully.
>> >
>> > But if I open my computer the first time without connecting to the
>> > internet
>> > via dial-up, and directly use my fax modem by sending MS WORD to the
>> > fax
>> > recipient, it doesn't work. I only hear one dial then it suddenly
>> > stops.
>> > When I checked the fax console, my fax is in the outbox. I tried
>> > restarting
>> > it, but it fails everytime. The extended status says FATAL ERROR. When
>> > right click to choose properties, it says RETRIES EXCEEDED - fatal
>> > error.
>> >
>> > This fax is working whenever I connect then disconnect in the internet.
>> > But
>> > whenever I fax directly without having to connect to the internet, it
>> > is not
>> > working.
>> > Before I have no issue with this, because I can workaround of
>> > connecting and
>> > disconnecting from my dial-up connection, now since I have changed my
>> > ISP to
>> > cable connection, I am having this problems.
>> >
>> > NOte: I am only using my fax to send and not to receive.
>> >
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Jenny

TAPI protocols?? I am sorry but I am not familiar with this. But I will try
to see if the Phonetools from Dell can do the trick.

Again, thank you for your help.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Good question. I know of no such path or option in Windows XP Fax. Perhaps
> he was referring to the option to disable automatic retries, but I hardly
> see how that would come into play until or unless you first had a fax fail.
> Do you have other software that would access your modem using TAPI
> protocols? It sound like something is failing to relinquish control of your
> modem.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jenny" <Jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey Byte,
> > Thank you for your response. I am confused as to how I will check the fax
> > configuration. I can't seem to see the Fax tab that you are referring.
> > Could you help show me where to find it? I would appreciate your help.
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> >> Check your Fax configuration>Fax tab. You probably have "do not clear
> >> recipients list between transmission" checked so it is not cleared.
> >> By going to the Internet first you are resetting it and then the Fax
> >> works.

That would explain it. Windows XP Fax barely works as it is. It will never
survive when competing with another fax program that has taken control of
the modem.
--
> TAPI protocols?? I am sorry but I am not familiar with this. But I will
> try
> to see if the Phonetools from Dell can do the trick.
>
> Again, thank you for your help.
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Good question. I know of no such path or option in Windows XP Fax.
>> Perhaps
>> he was referring to the option to disable automatic retries, but I hardly
>> see how that would come into play until or unless you first had a fax
>> fail.
>> Do you have other software that would access your modem using TAPI
>> protocols? It sound like something is failing to relinquish control of
>> your
>> modem.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jenny" <Jenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey Byte,
>> > Thank you for your response. I am confused as to how I will check the
>> > fax
>> > configuration. I can't seem to see the Fax tab that you are referring.
>> > Could you help show me where to find it? I would appreciate your help.
>> > Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS