Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

BF3 was great for months, now freezing in last month.....?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Battlefield
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
September 2, 2012 3:10:19 PM

Okay....
Been playing BF3 for.... 9 months now.... no probs, none. Never crashed, ran smooth, seriously- zero problems.

Starting a month or so ago, like many other players, the game just freezes with the "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound loop...... sofa king annoying.

I've been watching cpu and gpu temps, all seem fine.. I reverted to a previous nvidia driver.. no difference. I turned off the motion blur, vsync and AA as many reported would help... it didn't (and man, does it look like crap w/o AA...) I finally reinstalled windows and bf3- game kept freezing... But then after I cleaned out all the temp files and did some housekeeping after the re-installs, it started working great last night- played for several hours without a hiccup (this was with AA 4x even).

But this morning. I can't run the game for a minute without it freezing....
Does anyone have any idea what's happening?????? I'm about to give up and just go see what BFvietnam looks like on this machine.........

Bob

Specs:
Dell xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 ti

More about : bf3 great months freezing month

September 2, 2012 3:21:42 PM

I'd suggest checking your memory, it's pretty common for it to go bad (probably the most common PC malfunction after crap power supplies).

You can check it with memtest tool which you can download from here:

www.memtest.org
m
l
September 2, 2012 5:01:30 PM

Good point--- but I forgot to mention that I already ran memtest.. I let it run all night; nine passes, zero errors...
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 5:07:26 PM

Okay, are all the components stock or did you upgrade anything at any time of having this computer?
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:47:49 PM

If your Windows is pirated its probably due to the activator. Check event viewer. If it says something about activation at the time of the freeze, that will be it.
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:04:04 PM

My copy of windows is legit.
And all the components are stock............
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:14:42 PM

Okay. Do you happen to have more than 1 sound device in Device Manager?
m
l
September 2, 2012 8:21:57 PM

Is the system still under warranty? If it is, it would be best to let them fix it - fixing it on your own may void the warranty.
m
l
Anonymous
September 2, 2012 8:49:00 PM

b-in-colorado said:
Okay....
Been playing BF3 for.... 9 months now.... no probs, none. Never crashed, ran smooth, seriously- zero problems.

Starting a month or so ago, like many other players, the game just freezes with the "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" sound loop...... sofa king annoying.

I've been watching cpu and gpu temps, all seem fine.. I reverted to a previous nvidia driver.. no difference. I turned off the motion blur, vsync and AA as many reported would help... it didn't (and man, does it look like crap w/o AA...) I finally reinstalled windows and bf3- game kept freezing... But then after I cleaned out all the temp files and did some housekeeping after the re-installs, it started working great last night- played for several hours without a hiccup (this was with AA 4x even).

But this morning. I can't run the game for a minute without it freezing....
Does anyone have any idea what's happening?????? I'm about to give up and just go see what BFvietnam looks like on this machine.........

Bob

Specs:
Dell xps 8300
i7-2600 @ 3.4ghz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 ti

that was because of the patch, several players have reported it already. DICE said it would be fixed in the next patch that's on tuesday, just wait untill then.
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:36:40 PM

You got a XPS 8300 with a GTX 560 Ti? Nice.

I have an XPS 8500 and I had to upgrade the video card to AMD Radeon HD 7870 my self. The best it would let you select was the 7770. I got one with the 7570 and switched it out.
m
l
September 11, 2012 5:03:32 PM

Okay... System was still under warranty...
Dell sent a guy over, swapped out the psu, motherboard and ram..
So far, everything is back to normal... (knock on wood!)
m
l
September 11, 2012 5:07:35 PM

Glad you've solved it :) .
m
l