Fax not finding modem

I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks
--
H.B.
7 answers Last reply

    Only the obvious one.
    Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
    ------
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    hb wrote:
    > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
    > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
    > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
    > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

    Use your 56K modem probably listed under Device Manager.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

    > Only the obvious one.
    > Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
    > ------
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > hb wrote:
    > > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
    > > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
    > > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
    > > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

    The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the telephone
    company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I used
    to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all the
    time and does not have to go through the dial up process.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

    > Only the obvious one.
    > Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
    > ------
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > hb wrote:
    > > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
    > > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
    > > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
    > > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

    Well no wonder.
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
    > telephone
    > company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
    > used
    > to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
    > the
    > time and does not have to go through the dial up process.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Only the obvious one.
    >> Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
    >> ------
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >>
    >> hb wrote:
    >> > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax
    >> > wizard
    >> > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem
    >> > from a
    >> > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete
    >> > out of
    >> > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

    Thanks! I take it that there is no fax program for a computer that will work
    under these circustances. Am I correct?

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Well no wonder.
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
    > > telephone
    > > company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
    > > used
    > > to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
    > > the
    > > time and does not have to go through the dial up process.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Only the obvious one.
    > >> Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
    > >> ------
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]

    Fax programs work with analogue modems.. you could install a modem and use
    it for faxing OR you can use a service like e-fax.. www.efax.com

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Thanks! I take it that there is no fax program for a computer that will
    > work
    > under these circustances. Am I correct?
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Well no wonder.
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
    >> > telephone
    >> > company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
    >> > used
    >> > to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
    >> > the
    >> > time and does not have to go through the dial up process.

    There is certainly no way to send a fax directly to anyone without using an
    analog phone line and an analog fax modem. As the page I posted points out,
    some DSL lines can be fitted with a converter to allow you to do that.
    Otherwise you would need to hire an Internet Fax provider who can take an
    email message, convert it and send it over their analog fax modem and phone
    line.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks! I take it that there is no fax program for a computer that will
    > work
    > under these circustances. Am I correct?
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Well no wonder.
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
    >> > telephone
    >> > company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
    >> > used
    >> > to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
    >> > the
    >> > time and does not have to go through the dial up process.

Fax Modem Microsoft Windows XP