Fax not finding modem

HB

I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks
--
H.B.

Only the obvious one.
Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
------
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

hb wrote:
> I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
> says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
> list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
> the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

Byte

Use your 56K modem probably listed under Device Manager.

"Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

> Only the obvious one.
> Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
> ------
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> hb wrote:
> > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
> > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
> > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
> > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

HB

The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the telephone
company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I used
to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all the
time and does not have to go through the dial up process.

"Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:

> Only the obvious one.
> Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
> ------
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> hb wrote:
> > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax wizard
> > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem from a
> > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of
> > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

Well no wonder.
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
> telephone
> company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
> used
> to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
> the
> time and does not have to go through the dial up process.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Only the obvious one.
>> Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
>> ------
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>
>> hb wrote:
>> > I have recently installed XP. I installed the fax program. The fax
>> > wizard
>> > says I don't have a modem and when I choose " I will select a modem
>> > from a
>> > list" , the hour glass just "hangs up" and I have to ctrl-alt-delete
>> > out of
>> > the fax wizard. Any suggestiong? Thanks

HB

Thanks! I take it that there is no fax program for a computer that will work
under these circustances. Am I correct?

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Well no wonder.
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
> > telephone
> > company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
> > used
> > to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
> > the
> > time and does not have to go through the dial up process.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Only the obvious one.
> >> Are you using an analog fax modem on the Windows XP HCL list?
> >> ------
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Fax programs work with analogue modems.. you could install a modem and use
it for faxing OR you can use a service like e-fax.. www.efax.com

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Thanks! I take it that there is no fax program for a computer that will
> work
> under these circustances. Am I correct?
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Well no wonder.
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835133
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "hb" <hb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The only modem I have is a telephone line high speed modem that the
>> > telephone
>> > company installed. It is an exterior modem plugged into my computer. I
>> > used
>> > to have the 56k dial up but now have a high speed that is connected all
>> > the
>> > time and does not have to go through the dial up process.

There is certainly no way to send a fax directly to anyone without using an
analog phone line and an analog fax modem. As the page I posted points out,
some DSL lines can be fitted with a converter to allow you to do that.
Otherwise you would need to hire an Internet Fax provider who can take an
email message, convert it and send it over their analog fax modem and phone
line.