Download error

Tried logging on last night. Patcher detected updates, tried to download,
starting with a "greatdivide.txt" file. But nothing came through. Operation
timed out, claimed I/O error.
Anyone else have this problem? Did someone at SOE screw up and try
uploading parts of tomorrow's patch too early?
The error message also mentioned something about access priveleges.
Is there anything I have to change in my system to get it to download? I've
sent
off an email to SOE, but also want your thoughts.

EJH

"Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Tried logging on last night. Patcher detected updates, tried to download,
> starting with a "greatdivide.txt" file. But nothing came through.
> Operation
> timed out, claimed I/O error.

This happens to me quite frequently.

There is nothing to patch yet, the file somehow got corrupted on your
harddrive. Run a scandisk to "unlock" the file and everything will be fine.

/NZ

"N. Ziember" <nemigaziember@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> skrev i meddelandet
>> Tried logging on last night. Patcher detected updates, tried to download,
>> starting with a "greatdivide.txt" file. But nothing came through.
>> Operation
>> timed out, claimed I/O error.
>

> This happens to me quite frequently.
>
> There is nothing to patch yet, the file somehow got corrupted on your
> harddrive. Run a scandisk to "unlock" the file and everything will be
> fine.
>
> /NZ

Scandisk? What would the Windows XP version of that be, and how would I find
it?

EJH

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <iQKwe.1242$4m3.495@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
ejhawman@ameritech.net says...

> "N. Ziember" <nemigaziember@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> skrev i meddelandet
> >> Tried logging on last night. Patcher detected updates, tried to download,
> >> starting with a "greatdivide.txt" file. But nothing came through.
> >> Operation
> >> timed out, claimed I/O error.
> >

> > This happens to me quite frequently.
> >
> > There is nothing to patch yet, the file somehow got corrupted on your
> > harddrive. Run a scandisk to "unlock" the file and everything will be
> > fine.
> >
> > /NZ
> >

> Scandisk? What would the Windows XP version of that be, and how would I find
> it?

Right click on the drive, go to the tools tab, under "error checking"
click "check now".

That said, this does not happen to me EVER. And if 'frequent scandiscs'
are required on your system, something is pretty wrong with your system.

"42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In article <iQKwe.1242$4m3.495@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> ejhawman@ameritech.net says...
>>
>> "N. Ziember" <nemigaziember@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> skrev i meddelandet
>> >

>> > This happens to me quite frequently.
>> >
>> > There is nothing to patch yet, the file somehow got corrupted on your
>> > harddrive. Run a scandisk to "unlock" the file and everything will be
>> > fine.
>> >
>> > /NZ
>> >

>> Scandisk? What would the Windows XP version of that be, and how would I
>> find
>> it?
>
> Right click on the drive, go to the tools tab, under "error checking"
> click "check now".
>
> That said, this does not happen to me EVER. And if 'frequent scandiscs'
> are required on your system, something is pretty wrong with your system.

I agree - i just replaced my harddrives a few months ago - while running the
patcher the program would get hung up while downloading files. I had to run
scandisk and it was finding problems all over the disk. It may be time to
back up what you can from that drive and replace it before you lose
everything.

Lou

"Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> wrote in

> "N. Ziember" <nemigaziember@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eric J. Hawman" <ejhawman@ameritech.net> skrev i meddelandet
>>> Tried logging on last night. Patcher detected updates, tried to
>>> download, starting with a "greatdivide.txt" file. But nothing came
>>> through. Operation timed out, claimed I/O error.
>>

>> This happens to me quite frequently.
>>
>> There is nothing to patch yet, the file somehow got corrupted on your
>> harddrive. Run a scandisk to "unlock" the file and everything will be
>> fine.
>
> Scandisk? What would the Windows XP version of that be, and how would
> I find it?

There is always the old standby, CHKDSK, that still exists for XP.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner