canon bcj-5000 with xp sp2 oem

have windows xp sp2 install and trying to install canon bcj-5000 with the 2k
pro drivers from the canon website. the installation is fine until you try to
print a test page and then it fails to communicate. i have the port
configured in bios as ecp printer port and driver for the port reinstalled.
tried ecp/epp initially and that did not work either. also tried having the
port driven as a "standard printer port" in xp and that failed, even though
that did work with this printer in a win98se install on my other machine
previously.
question is, has anyone had one of these printers work with either xp pro or
xp pro sp2 either connected through a iee 1284 print cable to a parallel port
or one of those adapter print cables that plug into usb? i did try to use a
driver for bcj-5100, that also failed during installation. there does appear
to be partial function, the printer does remember to turn itself off, which
was a feature enabled before when it was hooked to the other rig. i also did
kb884020, since that was mentioned in other canon related posts. If anyone
has used one of these with xppro sp2 please post back.

It's one of the few printers known to be problematical with XP.

http://www.carletonmacgregor.com/html/canon_bjc-5000_5100_windows_xp.html
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"steve t" <st1957589@netscape.net> wrote in message
> have windows xp sp2 install and trying to install canon bcj-5000 with the
> 2k
> pro drivers from the canon website. the installation is fine until you try
> print a test page and then it fails to communicate. i have the port
> configured in bios as ecp printer port and driver for the port
> reinstalled.
> tried ecp/epp initially and that did not work either. also tried having
> the
> port driven as a "standard printer port" in xp and that failed, even
> though
> that did work with this printer in a win98se install on my other machine
> previously.
> question is, has anyone had one of these printers work with either xp pro
> or
> xp pro sp2 either connected through a iee 1284 print cable to a parallel
> port
> or one of those adapter print cables that plug into usb? i did try to use
> driver for bcj-5100, that also failed during installation. there does
> appear
> to be partial function, the printer does remember to turn itself off,
> which
> was a feature enabled before when it was hooked to the other rig. i also
> did
> kb884020, since that was mentioned in other canon related posts. If anyone
> has used one of these with xppro sp2 please post back.

good call, Cari. that worked great. of course a thousand years from now
digital anthropologists will wonder why my asus a7n8x deluxe with sata raid
and a gig of uber corsair ram had it's parallel port set to "spp", but once
they dig up the indestructible canon they'll know why.
thanks for remembering that.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It's one of the few printers known to be problematical with XP.
>
> http://www.carletonmacgregor.com/html/canon_bjc-5000_5100_windows_xp.html
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "steve t" <st1957589@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > have windows xp sp2 install and trying to install canon bcj-5000 with the
> > 2k
> > pro drivers from the canon website. the installation is fine until you try
> > print a test page and then it fails to communicate. i have the port
> > configured in bios as ecp printer port and driver for the port
> > reinstalled.
> > tried ecp/epp initially and that did not work either. also tried having
> > the
> > port driven as a "standard printer port" in xp and that failed, even
> > though
> > that did work with this printer in a win98se install on my other machine
> > previously.
> > question is, has anyone had one of these printers work with either xp pro
> > or
> > xp pro sp2 either connected through a iee 1284 print cable to a parallel
> > port
> > or one of those adapter print cables that plug into usb? i did try to use
> > driver for bcj-5100, that also failed during installation. there does
> > appear
> > to be partial function, the printer does remember to turn itself off,
> > which
> > was a feature enabled before when it was hooked to the other rig. i also
> > did
> > kb884020, since that was mentioned in other canon related posts. If anyone
> > has used one of these with xppro sp2 please post back.

You're welcome Steve.. I had trouble with my VIVO part of my FX5700
today.... until I remembered that I actually capture analog video once in a
blue moon so it really didn't matter. It was just the principal of the
thing!