canon bcj-5000 with xp sp2 oem

have windows xp sp2 install and trying to install canon bcj-5000 with the 2k
pro drivers from the canon website. the installation is fine until you try to
print a test page and then it fails to communicate. i have the port
configured in bios as ecp printer port and driver for the port reinstalled.
tried ecp/epp initially and that did not work either. also tried having the
port driven as a "standard printer port" in xp and that failed, even though
that did work with this printer in a win98se install on my other machine
previously.
question is, has anyone had one of these printers work with either xp pro or
xp pro sp2 either connected through a iee 1284 print cable to a parallel port
or one of those adapter print cables that plug into usb? i did try to use a
driver for bcj-5100, that also failed during installation. there does appear
to be partial function, the printer does remember to turn itself off, which
was a feature enabled before when it was hooked to the other rig. i also did
kb884020, since that was mentioned in other canon related posts. If anyone
has used one of these with xppro sp2 please post back.
3 answers Last reply
More about canon 5000

    It's one of the few printers known to be problematical with XP.

    http://www.carletonmacgregor.com/html/canon_bjc-5000_5100_windows_xp.html
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "steve t" <st1957589@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > have windows xp sp2 install and trying to install canon bcj-5000 with the
    > 2k
    > pro drivers from the canon website. the installation is fine until you try
    > print a test page and then it fails to communicate. i have the port
    > configured in bios as ecp printer port and driver for the port
    > reinstalled.
    > tried ecp/epp initially and that did not work either. also tried having
    > the
    > port driven as a "standard printer port" in xp and that failed, even
    > though
    > that did work with this printer in a win98se install on my other machine
    > previously.
    > question is, has anyone had one of these printers work with either xp pro
    > or
    > xp pro sp2 either connected through a iee 1284 print cable to a parallel
    > port
    > or one of those adapter print cables that plug into usb? i did try to use
    > driver for bcj-5100, that also failed during installation. there does
    > appear
    > to be partial function, the printer does remember to turn itself off,
    > which
    > was a feature enabled before when it was hooked to the other rig. i also
    > did
    > kb884020, since that was mentioned in other canon related posts. If anyone
    > has used one of these with xppro sp2 please post back.

    good call, Cari. that worked great. of course a thousand years from now
    digital anthropologists will wonder why my asus a7n8x deluxe with sata raid
    and a gig of uber corsair ram had it's parallel port set to "spp", but once
    they dig up the indestructible canon they'll know why.
    thanks for remembering that.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > It's one of the few printers known to be problematical with XP.
    >
    > http://www.carletonmacgregor.com/html/canon_bjc-5000_5100_windows_xp.html
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "steve t" <st1957589@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > have windows xp sp2 install and trying to install canon bcj-5000 with the
    > > 2k
    > > pro drivers from the canon website. the installation is fine until you try
    > > print a test page and then it fails to communicate. i have the port
    > > configured in bios as ecp printer port and driver for the port
    > > reinstalled.
    > > tried ecp/epp initially and that did not work either. also tried having
    > > the
    > > port driven as a "standard printer port" in xp and that failed, even
    > > though
    > > that did work with this printer in a win98se install on my other machine
    > > previously.
    > > question is, has anyone had one of these printers work with either xp pro
    > > or
    > > xp pro sp2 either connected through a iee 1284 print cable to a parallel
    > > port
    > > or one of those adapter print cables that plug into usb? i did try to use
    > > driver for bcj-5100, that also failed during installation. there does
    > > appear
    > > to be partial function, the printer does remember to turn itself off,
    > > which
    > > was a feature enabled before when it was hooked to the other rig. i also
    > > did
    > > kb884020, since that was mentioned in other canon related posts. If anyone
    > > has used one of these with xppro sp2 please post back.

    You're welcome Steve.. I had trouble with my VIVO part of my FX5700
    today.... until I remembered that I actually capture analog video once in a
    blue moon so it really didn't matter. It was just the principal of the
    thing!
    --

    > good call, Cari. that worked great. of course a thousand years from now
    > digital anthropologists will wonder why my asus a7n8x deluxe with sata
    > raid
    > and a gig of uber corsair ram had it's parallel port set to "spp", but
    > once
    > they dig up the indestructible canon they'll know why.
    > thanks for remembering that.

Windows XP Canon Printers