Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

compaq deskpro P3 500 MHz 128MB

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
Any idea about the issue ?

--
Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:36:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000 or
Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created and
formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
wrote:

>I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
>I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
>The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
>Any idea about the issue ?
>
>--
>Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
>Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
>
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:46:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Ben Myers vient de nous annoncer :
> Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000
> or Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created and
> formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
> defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
> wrote:
>
>> I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
>> I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
>> The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
>> Any idea about the issue ?
>>
>> --
>> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
>> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

when i try to install win98se i get the next message :
Standard mode : Fault in ms-dos extender
ec=e804 cs.....
si=0277 di=0186....

--
Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
Related resources
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 5:46:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Just to be sure, remove all old partitions, create a new FAT32 partition, format
it, and try the Windows install again. If it fails in the same way, the failure
is a sign of a hardware malfunction. If you have already recreated the
partition and formatted it, download and run MEMTEST-86 to test the memory and
download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic test to test the drive. An odd
error such as you reported could also be due to an unreliable CD-ROM drive.

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:46:19 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
wrote:

>Ben Myers vient de nous annoncer :
>> Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000
>> or Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created and
>> formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
>> defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
>>> I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
>>> The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
>>> Any idea about the issue ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
>>> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
>
>when i try to install win98se i get the next message :
>Standard mode : Fault in ms-dos extender
>ec=e804 cs.....
>si=0277 di=0186....
>
>--
>Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
>Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
>
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:02:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Ben Myers a émis l'idée suivante :
> Just to be sure, remove all old partitions, create a new FAT32 partition,
> format it, and try the Windows install again. If it fails in the same way,
> the failure is a sign of a hardware malfunction. If you have already
> recreated the partition and formatted it, download and run MEMTEST-86 to test
> the memory and download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic test to test the
> drive. An odd error such as you reported could also be due to an unreliable
> CD-ROM drive.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:46:19 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
> wrote:
>
>> Ben Myers vient de nous annoncer :
>>> Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000
>>> or Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created
>>> and formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
>>> defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers
>>>
>>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI
>>> <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
>>>> I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
>>>> The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
>>>> Any idea about the issue ?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
>>>> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
>>
>> when i try to install win98se i get the next message :
>> Standard mode : Fault in ms-dos extender
>> ec=e804 cs.....
>> si=0277 di=0186....
>>
>> --
>> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
>> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

Thanks for your reply. I just replace the 128 MB memory by 3 x 64 MB
memory and i don't have the bad message anymore. I can now install
Win98.
You are right.
I will test the "bad" memory with the software you mention.
Thanks

--
Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
!