compaq deskpro P3 500 MHz 128MB

I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
Any idea about the issue ?

Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
4 answers Last reply
More about compaq deskpro 128mb

    Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000 or
    Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created and
    formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
    defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
    wrote:

    >I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
    >I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
    >The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
    >Any idea about the issue ?
    >
    >--
    >Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
    >Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

    Ben Myers vient de nous annoncer :
    > Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000
    > or Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created and
    > formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
    > defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
    >> I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
    >> The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
    >> Any idea about the issue ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
    >> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

    when i try to install win98se i get the next message :
    Standard mode : Fault in ms-dos extender
    ec=e804 cs.....
    si=0277 di=0186....

    Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

    Just to be sure, remove all old partitions, create a new FAT32 partition, format
    it, and try the Windows install again. If it fails in the same way, the failure
    is a sign of a hardware malfunction. If you have already recreated the
    partition and formatted it, download and run MEMTEST-86 to test the memory and
    download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic test to test the drive. An odd
    error such as you reported could also be due to an unreliable CD-ROM drive.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:46:19 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
    wrote:

    >Ben Myers vient de nous annoncer :
    >> Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000
    >> or Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created and
    >> formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
    >> defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:36:42 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought a second hand compaq deskpro without HDD.
    >>> I put a 6 GB HDD in the computer that recognizes the hdd
    >>> The issue is that I cannot install neither win98 nor winMe on it.
    >>> Any idea about the issue ?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
    >>> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com
    >
    >when i try to install win98se i get the next message :
    >Standard mode : Fault in ms-dos extender
    >ec=e804 cs.....
    >si=0277 di=0186....
    >
    >--
    >Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
    >Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

    Ben Myers a émis l'idée suivante :
    > Just to be sure, remove all old partitions, create a new FAT32 partition,
    > format it, and try the Windows install again. If it fails in the same way,
    > the failure is a sign of a hardware malfunction. If you have already
    > recreated the partition and formatted it, download and run MEMTEST-86 to test
    > the memory and download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic test to test the
    > drive. An odd error such as you reported could also be due to an unreliable
    > CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:46:19 +0100, ALPI <alain.pinchemail_nospam@skynet.be>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ben Myers vient de nous annoncer :
    >>> Explain the symptoms. If the hard drive was previously used in an NT, 2000
    >>> or Linux system, the old partitions must be deleted and new ones created
    >>> and formatted before installing Windows. Is the hard drive known to be
    >>> defect-free? Did you run diagnostic tests of the drive? ... Ben Myers

    >> when i try to install win98se i get the next message :
    >> Standard mode : Fault in ms-dos extender
    >> ec=e804 cs.....
    >> si=0277 di=0186....
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ceci est une signature automatique de MesNews.
    >> Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

    Thanks for your reply. I just replace the 128 MB memory by 3 x 64 MB
    memory and i don't have the bad message anymore. I can now install
    Win98.
    You are right.
    I will test the "bad" memory with the software you mention.
    Thanks

    Site : http://mesnews.no-ip.com

Compaq Computer Hard Drives Computers