Sygate Firewall Load-Time

I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
(with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).

The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my
sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).

This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows
firewall be advisable?

I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I
don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF
Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list of incomprehensible
extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off. :-) )

Thanks
John
8 answers Last reply
More about sygate firewall load time

    In article <9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com>, john@nospam.net says...
    > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    > (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    >
    > The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my
    > sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    >
    > This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
    > boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows
    > firewall be advisable?
    >
    > I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I
    > don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF
    > Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list of incomprehensible
    > extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off. :-) )
    >
    > Thanks
    > John

    Hi John
    Take a look at tools/options/security and find "Block All Trafic While
    The Service is Not Loaded". Check it. The Sygate Users Guide states:
    This prevents any traffic from entering or leaving your computer during
    the seconds between the time that your machine is booted and Sygate is
    launched. (I personally don't understand how it can do any blocking
    if it isn't loaded--but I guess I don't need too <G>)
    I've run free Sygate since v4. The last upgrade, I went with Pro 5.5.
    I can't remember if this blocking feature is in the free version or
    not. Don't be afraid of the additional features in the pro version.
    If you upgrade, you will hardly notice anything different--Just a few
    more things on the security tab to check or uncheck. The users guide
    explains each function quite well. There are a lot of knowledgeable
    people in this newsgroup who can answer questions.
    Casey

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:43:27 GMT, Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote:

    >In article <9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com>, john@nospam.net says...
    >> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    >> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    >>
    >> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my
    >> sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    >>
    >> This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
    >> boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows
    >> firewall be advisable?
    >>
    >> I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I
    >> don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF
    >> Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list of incomprehensible
    >> extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off. :-) )
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> John
    >>

    >Hi John
    >Take a look at tools/options/security and find "Block All Trafic While
    >The Service is Not Loaded". Check it. The Sygate Users Guide states:
    >This prevents any traffic from entering or leaving your computer during
    >the seconds between the time that your machine is booted and Sygate is
    >launched. (I personally don't understand how it can do any blocking
    >if it isn't loaded--but I guess I don't need too <G>)
    >I've run free Sygate since v4. The last upgrade, I went with Pro 5.5.
    >I can't remember if this blocking feature is in the free version or
    >not. Don't be afraid of the additional features in the pro version.
    >If you upgrade, you will hardly notice anything different--Just a few
    >more things on the security tab to check or uncheck. The users guide
    >explains each function quite well. There are a lot of knowledgeable
    >people in this newsgroup who can answer questions.
    >Casey

    Casey, the traffic block is grayed out in the standard version. I
    downloaded the pro version and it, strangely, cuts the 45 seconds to 5. So
    I'll keep it.

    Thanks
    John

    John <john@nospam.net> wrote in

    > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    > (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    >
    > The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
    > in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    >
    > This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
    > boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the
    > Windows firewall be advisable?
    >
    > I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so
    > smoothly I don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and
    > installing SPF Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list
    > of incomprehensible extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off.
    > :-) )

    Sygate runs as a service, so I would think that it's loading before most
    other programs. Perhaps just the GUI portion doesn't load and show up in
    the tray until later?

    --
    Kerodo

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:46:01 GMT, Kerodo <kerodo~nospam~kenny@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    >> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    >>
    >> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
    >> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    >>
    >> This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
    >> boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the
    >> Windows firewall be advisable?
    >>
    >> I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so
    >> smoothly I don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and
    >> installing SPF Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list
    >> of incomprehensible extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off.
    >> :-) )
    >
    >Sygate runs as a service, so I would think that it's loading before most
    >other programs. Perhaps just the GUI portion doesn't load and show up in
    >the tray until later?

    The whole system is inactive until after the Sygate icon shows. Pro
    version does better -- see my other post.

    John

    John <john@nospam.net> wrote in

    > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    > (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    >
    > The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
    > in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    <snip>

    After someone in another area correctly posted that the current build of
    2525 eliminated that delay in booting, I've been pleased with returning to
    use of Sygate Personal (using build 2525!).

    --
    Tom McCune

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:40:56 GMT, Tom McCune <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
    wrote:

    >John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
    >
    >> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    >> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    >>
    >> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
    >> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    ><snip>
    >

    >After someone in another area correctly posted that the current build of
    >2525 eliminated that delay in booting, I've been pleased with returning to
    >use of Sygate Personal (using build 2525!).

    You posted a few seconds late, Tom!! I have already uninstalled build 2516
    of the free version and installed and registered the 2525 build of the Pro
    version, and of course I got rid of the delay. Oh well, it's only money.
    :-)

    John

    John wrote:

    > You posted a few seconds late, Tom!! I have already uninstalled build 2516
    > of the free version and installed and registered the 2525 build of the Pro
    > version, and of course I got rid of the delay. Oh well, it's only money.
    > :-)

    This is refreshing. Someone who'd rather be satisfied than settle for
    "cheapware". John, look at it this way. That money would have been spent
    somewhere else, anyway.

    In article <2e4u80doidbjrlv2rvatenvjisvnhuc1dd@4ax.com>, john@nospam.net says...
    > On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:40:56 GMT, Tom McCune <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
    > >
    > >> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
    > >> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
    > >>
    > >> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
    > >> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
    > ><snip>
    > >

    > >After someone in another area correctly posted that the current build of
    > >2525 eliminated that delay in booting, I've been pleased with returning to
    > >use of Sygate Personal (using build 2525!).
    >

    > You posted a few seconds late, Tom!! I have already uninstalled build 2516
    > of the free version and installed and registered the 2525 build of the Pro
    > version, and of course I got rid of the delay. Oh well, it's only money.
    > :-)
    >
    > John

    John, you made a good choice.
    Casey