Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sygate Firewall Load-Time

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 27, 2004 9:52:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
(with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).

The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my
sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).

This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows
firewall be advisable?

I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I
don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF
Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list of incomprehensible
extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off. :-) )

Thanks
John
April 28, 2004 12:43:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com>, john@nospam.net says...
> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
>
> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my
> sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
>
> This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
> boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows
> firewall be advisable?
>
> I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I
> don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF
> Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list of incomprehensible
> extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off. :-) )
>
> Thanks
> John
>
>
Hi John
Take a look at tools/options/security and find "Block All Trafic While
The Service is Not Loaded". Check it. The Sygate Users Guide states:
This prevents any traffic from entering or leaving your computer during
the seconds between the time that your machine is booted and Sygate is
launched. (I personally don't understand how it can do any blocking
if it isn't loaded--but I guess I don't need too <G>)
I've run free Sygate since v4. The last upgrade, I went with Pro 5.5.
I can't remember if this blocking feature is in the free version or
not. Don't be afraid of the additional features in the pro version.
If you upgrade, you will hardly notice anything different--Just a few
more things on the security tab to check or uncheck. The users guide
explains each function quite well. There are a lot of knowledgeable
people in this newsgroup who can answer questions.
Casey
April 28, 2004 12:43:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:43:27 GMT, Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote:

>In article <9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com>, john@nospam.net says...
>> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
>> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
>>
>> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons in my
>> sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
>>
>> This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
>> boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the Windows
>> firewall be advisable?
>>
>> I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so smoothly I
>> don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and installing SPF
>> Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list of incomprehensible
>> extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off. :-) )
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>>
>>
>Hi John
>Take a look at tools/options/security and find "Block All Trafic While
>The Service is Not Loaded". Check it. The Sygate Users Guide states:
>This prevents any traffic from entering or leaving your computer during
>the seconds between the time that your machine is booted and Sygate is
>launched. (I personally don't understand how it can do any blocking
>if it isn't loaded--but I guess I don't need too <G>)
>I've run free Sygate since v4. The last upgrade, I went with Pro 5.5.
>I can't remember if this blocking feature is in the free version or
>not. Don't be afraid of the additional features in the pro version.
>If you upgrade, you will hardly notice anything different--Just a few
>more things on the security tab to check or uncheck. The users guide
>explains each function quite well. There are a lot of knowledgeable
>people in this newsgroup who can answer questions.
>Casey


Casey, the traffic block is grayed out in the standard version. I
downloaded the pro version and it, strangely, cuts the 45 seconds to 5. So
I'll keep it.

Thanks
John
Related resources
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 12:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
news:9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com:

> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
>
> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
>
> This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
> boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the
> Windows firewall be advisable?
>
> I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so
> smoothly I don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and
> installing SPF Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list
> of incomprehensible extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off.
> :-) )

Sygate runs as a service, so I would think that it's loading before most
other programs. Perhaps just the GUI portion doesn't load and show up in
the tray until later?


--
Kerodo
April 28, 2004 12:46:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:46:01 GMT, Kerodo <kerodo~nospam~kenny@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
>news:9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com:
>
>> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
>> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
>>
>> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
>> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
>>
>> This delay presumably means I am unprotected for 45 seconds after each
>> boot. Is this unprotected period significant, and would adding the
>> Windows firewall be advisable?
>>
>> I know SPF Pro addresses this problem, but things are running so
>> smoothly I don't want to stir the pot by uninstalling SPF (free) and
>> installing SPF Pro. (I would also say that reading the very long list
>> of incomprehensible extra things that SPF Pro adds also scared me off.
>> :-) )
>
>Sygate runs as a service, so I would think that it's loading before most
>other programs. Perhaps just the GUI portion doesn't load and show up in
>the tray until later?


The whole system is inactive until after the Sygate icon shows. Pro
version does better -- see my other post.

John
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:40:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
news:9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com:

> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
>
> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
<snip>

After someone in another area correctly posted that the current build of
2525 eliminated that delay in booting, I've been pleased with returning to
use of Sygate Personal (using build 2525!).

--
Tom McCune
My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm
April 28, 2004 3:40:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:40:56 GMT, Tom McCune <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
wrote:

>John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
>news:9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com:
>
>> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
>> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
>>
>> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
>> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
><snip>
>

>After someone in another area correctly posted that the current build of
>2525 eliminated that delay in booting, I've been pleased with returning to
>use of Sygate Personal (using build 2525!).


You posted a few seconds late, Tom!! I have already uninstalled build 2516
of the free version and installed and registered the 2525 build of the Pro
version, and of course I got rid of the delay. Oh well, it's only money.
:-)

John
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 6:01:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

John wrote:

> You posted a few seconds late, Tom!! I have already uninstalled build 2516
> of the free version and installed and registered the 2525 build of the Pro
> version, and of course I got rid of the delay. Oh well, it's only money.
> :-)
>
This is refreshing. Someone who'd rather be satisfied than settle for
"cheapware". John, look at it this way. That money would have been spent
somewhere else, anyway.
April 28, 2004 9:32:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <2e4u80doidbjrlv2rvatenvjisvnhuc1dd@4ax.com>, john@nospam.net says...
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:40:56 GMT, Tom McCune <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
> wrote:
>
> >John <john@nospam.net> wrote in
> >news:9ojs80t9c5mbfe0id50na455j3i8qu2gcr@4ax.com:
> >
> >> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall (SPF, free) version 5.5 build 2516
> >> (with XP Home, 3GHz P4, 1 GB RAM, Dell 8300).
> >>
> >> The Sygate firewall icon appears 45 seconds after the other two icons
> >> in my sys tray (NAV inactive and video card).
> ><snip>
> >
>
> >After someone in another area correctly posted that the current build of
> >2525 eliminated that delay in booting, I've been pleased with returning to
> >use of Sygate Personal (using build 2525!).
>
>
> You posted a few seconds late, Tom!! I have already uninstalled build 2516
> of the free version and installed and registered the 2525 build of the Pro
> version, and of course I got rid of the delay. Oh well, it's only money.
> :-)
>
> John
>
John, you made a good choice.
Casey
!