MS Fax installation failing...

Sorry guys, I may not know the right procedure for this so I am reposting
this, hopefully in the correct manner. I need help desperately!!

What do you know about fax viruses that haven't been ‘updated’ or made aware
to virus protection software? Apparently I have caught a virus called
'blackicefax' that successfully attacked my fax program. I quarantined it in
Norton, but can't send it to them for investigation, (must be programmed that
way). This quarantine helped temporarily, but I am now having major issues.
Nothing worked on the fax program so I tried to reinstall by way of remove
component and then install component. The removal was a success….however,
now... nothing comes up, the fax folder remains 'empty' after several
attempts to re-install the MFax component.

Is reinstalling a service pack an option or do you have any other
suggestions? If the service pack should be reinstalled, how/where do I find
it (of course I deleted it from the desktop...)
3 answers Last reply
More about installation failing

    List the steps you are using to reinstall and what happens.
    What is your build number of Windows XP?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Rahala" <Rahala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry guys, I may not know the right procedure for this so I am reposting
    > this, hopefully in the correct manner. I need help desperately!!
    >
    > What do you know about fax viruses that haven't been 'updated' or made
    > aware
    > to virus protection software? Apparently I have caught a virus called
    > 'blackicefax' that successfully attacked my fax program. I quarantined it
    > in
    > Norton, but can't send it to them for investigation, (must be programmed
    > that
    > way). This quarantine helped temporarily, but I am now having major
    > issues.
    > Nothing worked on the fax program so I tried to reinstall by way of remove
    > component and then install component. The removal was a success..however,
    > now... nothing comes up, the fax folder remains 'empty' after several
    > attempts to re-install the MFax component.
    >
    > Is reinstalling a service pack an option or do you have any other
    > suggestions? If the service pack should be reinstalled, how/where do I
    > find
    > it (of course I deleted it from the desktop...)

    Im having the same problem.
    First I tried many times to fax it failed so I uninstalled it rebooted then
    reinstalled it.
    But the folder is empty.So I went to the services and it is listed as
    disabled. when I go to enable it then hit apply it says the sevices is
    marked for deletion.
    XP pro SP2

    > List the steps you are using to reinstall and what happens.
    > What is your build number of Windows XP?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Rahala" <Rahala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry guys, I may not know the right procedure for this so I am reposting
    >> this, hopefully in the correct manner. I need help desperately!!
    >>
    >> What do you know about fax viruses that haven't been 'updated' or made
    >> aware
    >> to virus protection software? Apparently I have caught a virus called
    >> 'blackicefax' that successfully attacked my fax program. I quarantined it
    >> in
    >> Norton, but can't send it to them for investigation, (must be programmed
    >> that
    >> way). This quarantine helped temporarily, but I am now having major
    >> issues.
    >> Nothing worked on the fax program so I tried to reinstall by way of
    >> remove
    >> component and then install component. The removal was a
    >> success..however,
    >> now... nothing comes up, the fax folder remains 'empty' after several
    >> attempts to re-install the MFax component.
    >>
    >> Is reinstalling a service pack an option or do you have any other
    >> suggestions? If the service pack should be reinstalled, how/where do I
    >> find
    >> it (of course I deleted it from the desktop...)

    i did a system restore and it's now back but I still cant fax. just hangs
    then I get error.
    "MC (444238)" <cutthespam-mjc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Im having the same problem.
    > First I tried many times to fax it failed so I uninstalled it rebooted
    > then reinstalled it.
    > But the folder is empty.So I went to the services and it is listed as
    > disabled. when I go to enable it then hit apply it says the sevices is
    > marked for deletion.
    > XP pro SP2
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> List the steps you are using to reinstall and what happens.
    >> What is your build number of Windows XP?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Rahala" <Rahala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry guys, I may not know the right procedure for this so I am
    >>> reposting
    >>> this, hopefully in the correct manner. I need help desperately!!
    >>>
    >>> What do you know about fax viruses that haven't been 'updated' or made
    >>> aware
    >>> to virus protection software? Apparently I have caught a virus called
    >>> 'blackicefax' that successfully attacked my fax program. I quarantined
    >>> it in
    >>> Norton, but can't send it to them for investigation, (must be programmed
    >>> that
    >>> way). This quarantine helped temporarily, but I am now having major
    >>> issues.
    >>> Nothing worked on the fax program so I tried to reinstall by way of
    >>> remove
    >>> component and then install component. The removal was a
    >>> success..however,
    >>> now... nothing comes up, the fax folder remains 'empty' after several
    >>> attempts to re-install the MFax component.
    >>>
    >>> Is reinstalling a service pack an option or do you have any other
    >>> suggestions? If the service pack should be reinstalled, how/where do I
    >>> find
    >>> it (of course I deleted it from the desktop...)

Fax Microsoft Components Windows XP