unable to setup local port

When I go to Server Properties, from Printers and Faxes, then to Ports and
Add Ports, I am unable to add a local port. The only port that shows in the
Printer Ports box is FPP2 pdfFactory.
When I go to another PC I can see Local Port and Standard TCP/IP Port
listed.
I upgraded from Win 98SE to XP Pro.
Print Spooler service is Started. When I look in the Device Manager the
LPT1 Printer port shows up with no problems.
Any help would be appreciated.
Ron Berns

This sounds like another application removed or replaced the spooler binary
registry setting for local ports.

I have seen issues when the LPT ports are no longer listed by the spooler
because another application replaced the registry entry for the dll
controlling where to look in the registry for the port list.
reg key is here:
Local Port should point to this binary
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\Local Port\Driver
reg_sz = localspl.dll

The Port list that the spooler reads at startup is here:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Ports

LPT ports should be listed here

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team