Mouse will disable/enable during gaming?

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Sometimes and this only happens when I'm gaming the mouse will appear to disable and not work and then a few seconds later it will re-enable. During the game I can hear the Windows audio beep that you get when you plug in a USB device. This doesn't happen all the time but has cropped up on a few occasions lately across different games. Any ideas why this might be happening? Could it be mouse drivers? I'm using an Alienware TactX mouse on Windows 7. Cheers.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
OK if anyone's interested I might of fixed this...I tried different USB ports but that didn't help. Instead I uninstalled the mouse from the device manager then just rebooted the pc and let it re-install. I played for about a half hour and no problems yet. Will report back after a longer gaming session.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
BTW my last entry didn't fix it. But it's all good now..I bought a new mouse in the end and had a solid 3 hours of gaming with no problems last night. I bought a Razer DeathAdder and so far so good.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

The last mouse was wired...It was an Alienware Tact-X mouse that used standard windows drivers. It was a couple of years old but had hardly been used..It looked in perfect working order and was working fine for 2 months.. I'm inclined to think it was some kind of driver conflict although nothing showed up in Windows as conflicting. It just started happening a couple of weeks ago. Really strange.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks....I only used an external hard drive on one the 6 USB ports available to me a couple of times. My system is pretty new, it was only built in June with new parts all round.... The mouse problem would happen on any of the usb ports i tried.

How would I go about checking the power on the usb ports to see if they have been stressed? Would something in the BIOS help me there? thanks.