FatBurger, pls tell the me how did you oc ur comp

Phob

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
I read that you have a p4 1.6A running at 2.5Ghz with stock fan, THAT SOUNDS KICKASS!!!

Pls tell me the exact specs of all your comp, cuz i know it has impact on the oc grade. Also pls post how did you build it and what procedure did you follow to oc and test the stability. pls be very specific, cuz i dont even know how to build one :)

as a last question, is that artic silver thingy required???
What is it for???

Phob

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
Oh i forgot, what do you say about trying the same thing with a P4 @ 2.26Ghz 533Mhz FSB with o/c'ed samsung rdr pc800 ram?? How much gain in Mhz could we get with stock fan?

FatBurger

Illustrious
You won't get nearly the same % overclock as me, since you're starting out at a higher clockspeed and higher FSB.

I have:
P4 1.6A
Abit TH7II-RAID
2x Samsung 256MB low-density PC800

I raised the FSB slowly to 155, my vCore is at 1.85v, RDRAM is at 300 and the RDRAM differential at 4x. That's about it.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Phob

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
yes, im quite aware i wont get any comparable % of oc, but i will just experiment, if its way to difficult or risky, ill just leave it at stock speed. I mean that if i get 200 or 300mhz more with the stock fan, ill be pretty happy. Maybe later on i'll buy a water cooling kit to suck it up to the extreme.

Now, whats the very first thing you did? did you raise the vCore to 1.85 from stock voltage in just one reboot?

And whay do you mean "RDRAM at 300 and the RDRAM differential at 4x" Was this done before or after the vcore change?

After that i guess you raised the fsb slowly, 1mhz at a time, also how did you check the cpu stability and when to stop?

Correct me if i have any mistake in the order of the changes or either i have to change the vcore more slightly.

Thank you very much anyway

FatBurger

Illustrious
I first went to a 133 bus, and ran Sandra benchmarks and 3DMark to check for stability. I then went to 140 and did the same. That appeared ok, but I wasn't quite sure, so I just messed around in Windows and had IE crash a couple of times. I figured it was probably the RAM, so I went to 140 with RAM at 300.

I can't remember exactly what order I did everything after that, but I basically raised the FSB in 5MHz increments and increased vCore as necessary. I also changed the RDRAM current differential sometime in there, but I'm not quite sure when.

Eventually I ended up where I am now, a 155 bus at 1.85v.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

Phob

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
ohh thnx, but still sounds like complicate for a n00b like me, do you know any updated overlocking guides i can read to figure out the order???