Sign in with
Your question

Xbox sound problems

Last response: in Video Games
September 4, 2012 4:32:23 AM

Here's my story. I posted a thread wanting to know if I could use a xbox 360 slim to PC speakers, specifically logitech z313 speakers. Based on the responses, I got some answers, but I later realized that they were all very sketchy and didn't seem to workout right to me. I picked up the monitor sunday from best buy, and the monitor was really nice! Very thin and had good quality. Next day, I did some shopping online to see if best buy had monitors with speakers. They sure did, and they had them in store. I went up there, trade in my first monitor to a gateway 21.5" monitor with built-in speakers. Went home, installed it, PC has HD quality with sound. For my xbox, I used a DVI-HDMI cable (plug dvi into monitor and hdmi into xbox) and, low and behold, I have video, but no sound. :fou:  Is the only possible option a headset? I am very stressed out right now and I really don't want to feel like there is one possible option. PLEASE HELP ME!

More about : xbox sound problems

September 4, 2012 7:45:56 PM

I am assuming you have your PC connected via straight HDMI cable? DVI to HDMI cables do not carry sound, so that is why you have no sound on the monitor while connected to your xbox. If your new monitor has an audio input you can purchase a DVI to HDMI cable that has a splitter for the sound. You can also use the optical output on the xbox to output sound, but I doubt your new monitor has an optical input.

Edit: If you are dead set on having both your PC and your XBox only using the monitor speakers you could just buy an HDMI hub/switch where you plug hdmi cables in from your pc and your xbox and then it has a single hdmi out to your monitor. You can only have one or the other switched on at a time though.
m
l
September 4, 2012 8:10:43 PM

Tibbs01 said:
I am assuming you have your PC connected via straight HDMI cable? DVI to HDMI cables do not carry sound, so that is why you have no sound on the monitor while connected to your xbox. If your new monitor has an audio input you can purchase a DVI to HDMI cable that has a splitter for the sound. You can also use the optical output on the xbox to output sound, but I doubt your new monitor has an optical input.

Edit: If you are dead set on having both your PC and your XBox only using the monitor speakers you could just buy an HDMI hub/switch where you plug hdmi cables in from your pc and your xbox and then it has a single hdmi out to your monitor. You can only have one or the other switched on at a time though.

some DVI does support sound through put, but it was short lived, like some GTX 200 series cards supported it.

does your monitor not have hdmi in? i would recommend just using that, or like Tibbs mentioned a hdmi hub/switch would work too
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2012 11:20:24 PM

Nope, I'm returning both the cable and the monitor and getting a refund. No way am I dealing with splitters, the speakers on the back are 2 watts, so using a splitter would reduce the sound by half. I'll just buy a headset. Thanks for the help.
m
l
September 5, 2012 2:20:53 PM

that sucks, too bad you could not get it working, but im sure you will have some decent sound quality out of a headset depending which one you choose
m
l
!