Reformatting & Re-installing on a Compaq EP/SB Series

I need to re-format a Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series(350Mhz), and was
hoping to get advice from someone who has one and has had to install
and operating system on it.

If I reformat the hard drive(which presently has a very unstable copy
of Windows ME on it), I need to know if special disks are needed or if
there is a way to put virtually any OS on it.

I just don't want to be stuck with a giant paper weight once the drive
is erased.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
4 answers Last reply
More about reformatting installing compaq series

    Darren,

    The computer has an Intel 440BX chipset on it. Chipset drivers are built into
    Win ME or later, required from www.intel.com for Win 98 or NT. You'll also need
    to identify the audio, network and video drivers and possibly obtain drivers for
    them as well.

    Try the HP web site for info about the drivers, many of which can be downloaded
    there. HP did not trash the Compaq Deskpro driver downloads when it bought up
    Compaq. HP and Carly have trashed up just about everything else tho in the last
    3+ years... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Darren,
    >
    > The computer has an Intel 440BX chipset on it. Chipset drivers are
    built into
    > Win ME or later, required from www.intel.com for Win 98 or NT.
    You'll also need
    > to identify the audio, network and video drivers and possibly obtain
    drivers for
    > them as well.
    >
    > Try the HP web site for info about the drivers, many of which can be
    downloaded
    > there. HP did not trash the Compaq Deskpro driver downloads when it
    bought up
    > Compaq. HP and Carly have trashed up just about everything else tho
    in the last
    > 3+ years... Ben Myers

    Thanks.

    This will take a week, provided I have nothing else to do.

    (I'll definitely not buy a PC from any of the major companys after
    this).

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >>Darren,
    >>
    >>The computer has an Intel 440BX chipset on it. Chipset drivers are
    >
    > built into
    >
    >>Win ME or later, required from www.intel.com for Win 98 or NT.
    >
    > You'll also need
    >
    >>to identify the audio, network and video drivers and possibly obtain
    >
    > drivers for
    >
    >>them as well.
    >>
    >>Try the HP web site for info about the drivers, many of which can be
    >
    > downloaded
    >
    >>there. HP did not trash the Compaq Deskpro driver downloads when it
    >
    > bought up
    >
    >>Compaq. HP and Carly have trashed up just about everything else tho
    >
    > in the last
    >
    >>3+ years... Ben Myers
    >

    > Thanks.
    >
    > This will take a week, provided I have nothing else to do.
    >
    > (I'll definitely not buy a PC from any of the major companys after
    > this).
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Do any of these help? (It would be easier with the complete model number.)

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/desktops/us/locate/4_139.html
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/desktops/us/locate/20_139.html
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/desktops/us/download/20521.html

    craigm

    Um, the Compaq DeskPro with 440BX motherboard chipset is no different than any
    other motherboard, name brand or generic. If you install Win 98 or NT, you need
    to add the 440BX chipset drivers which did not exist when the software was
    released. Microsoft, as a matter of policy, never (or very rarely) adds drivers
    for graphics cards, motheboard chipsets, sound cards or any other hardware sold
    for the first time AFTER a major version of Windows is released.

    On the other hand, you can depend on Windows 2000 or XP and maybe even butt-ugly
    ME to have 440BX chipset drivers for Compaq and any other motherboard with the
    chipset on it.

    In short, don't blame Compaq or any brand name for the absence of drivers in a
    Windows release. It is inevitable, no matter what brand or white box computer
    there is. Now you can blame Carly, $21 million richer in severance pay, and the
    other HP people for mucking up the ex-Compaq web pages if you can't find what
    you need.

    As far as decent web site support (documentation and drivers), I have to rate
    IBM and Dell at the top, in a dead heat. Gateway is a distant third. The
    Compaq web pages are 4th. The HP web pages are about 15th, surpassed by just
    about every other brand name.

    I will also claim that if you inherited a generic white box computer and had to
    load it up with Windows software, you would have perhaps a worse challenge than
    you will have with the Compaq. Remember, a white box computer is assembled by
    resellers like myself. As a reseller, I take great pains to supply driver CDs
    and documentation for everything inside a computer I build. Then the computer
    gets detached from all the documentation. I have been down that road
    refurbishing or repairing white box computers built by others. It's no fun.

    I'm not saying all this because I am pro-Compaq. I am citing all this from the
    experience of working on hundreds and hundreds of computers in the last 12
    years. All brands... Ben Myers

    On 14 Feb 2005 17:24:32 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Darren,
    >>
    >> The computer has an Intel 440BX chipset on it. Chipset drivers are
    >built into
    >> Win ME or later, required from www.intel.com for Win 98 or NT.
    >You'll also need
    >> to identify the audio, network and video drivers and possibly obtain
    >drivers for
    >> them as well.
    >>
    >> Try the HP web site for info about the drivers, many of which can be
    >downloaded
    >> there. HP did not trash the Compaq Deskpro driver downloads when it
    >bought up
    >> Compaq. HP and Carly have trashed up just about everything else tho
    >in the last
    >> 3+ years... Ben Myers
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >This will take a week, provided I have nothing else to do.
    >
    >(I'll definitely not buy a PC from any of the major companys after
    >this).
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

Compaq Computers