Connecting a network printer.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Hi. I am trying to set up a printer onto another computer. It is already
wooked up to my desktop, and I have another one on my network that I want to
set the printer up on too. I have chosen "Sharing..." on the printer on the
directly connected computer, but now I want to set it up on the other.
Whenever I try, I get a message saying that either the name of the printer is
incorrect, or the printer has lost connecting to the server. Please help me!

-Jared

Use the Add Printer Wizard on the Networked PC you want to install the
printer on and Browse for the Printer.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I am trying to set up a printer onto another computer. It is already
> wooked up to my desktop, and I have another one on my network that I want
> set the printer up on too. I have chosen "Sharing..." on the printer on
> the
> directly connected computer, but now I want to set it up on the other.
> Whenever I try, I get a message saying that either the name of the printer
> is
> incorrect, or the printer has lost connecting to the server. Please help
> me!
>
> -Jared

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

yes. I've tried that. when ever I do, though, I get a message that says that
either the printer got disconnected from the network(which it didn't), or the
name is invalid (which doesn't make sense because that is the name the
printer wizard found). Please help!

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Use the Add Printer Wizard on the Networked PC you want to install the
> printer on and Browse for the Printer.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I am trying to set up a printer onto another computer. It is already
> > wooked up to my desktop, and I have another one on my network that I want
> > set the printer up on too. I have chosen "Sharing..." on the printer on
> > the
> > directly connected computer, but now I want to set it up on the other.
> > Whenever I try, I get a message saying that either the name of the printer
> > is
> > incorrect, or the printer has lost connecting to the server. Please help
> > me!
> >
> > -Jared

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jared" wrote:

> yes. I've tried that. when ever I do, though, I get a message that says that
> either the printer got disconnected from the network(which it didn't), or the
> name is invalid (which doesn't make sense because that is the name the
> printer wizard found). Please help!
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Use the Add Printer Wizard on the Networked PC you want to install the
> > printer on and Browse for the Printer.
> > --
> > Cari
> > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> >
> > "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. I am trying to set up a printer onto another computer. It is already
> > > wooked up to my desktop, and I have another one on my network that I want
> > > set the printer up on too. I have chosen "Sharing..." on the printer on
> > > the
> > > directly connected computer, but now I want to set it up on the other.
> > > Whenever I try, I get a message saying that either the name of the printer
> > > is
> > > incorrect, or the printer has lost connecting to the server. Please help
> > > me!
> > >
> > > -Jared

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jared" wrote:

> yes. I've tried that. when ever I do, though, I get a message that says that
> either the printer got disconnected from the network(which it didn't), or the
> name is invalid (which doesn't make sense because that is the name the
> printer wizard found). Please help!
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Use the Add Printer Wizard on the Networked PC you want to install the
> > printer on and Browse for the Printer.
> > --
> > Cari
> > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> >
> > "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. I am trying to set up a printer onto another computer. It is already
> > > wooked up to my desktop, and I have another one on my network that I want
> > > set the printer up on too. I have chosen "Sharing..." on the printer on
> > > the
> > > directly connected computer, but now I want to set it up on the other.
> > > Whenever I try, I get a message saying that either the name of the printer
> > > is
> > > incorrect, or the printer has lost connecting to the server. Please help
> > > me!
> > >
> > > -Jared
> > >

> > Jared........if you have figured this out please let me know as I am having the same problem.

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

no, I havn't figured it out yet. I am not sure if this could be the problem,
but all of the computers on my network have different IP addresses, and when
I try to change them to the same one manually, the network messes up. It is
quite confusing. I know that the other computer can locate the printers, it
is just that it wont let it hook up.

"Bob" wrote:

> "Jared" wrote:
>
> > yes. I've tried that. when ever I do, though, I get a message that says that
> > either the printer got disconnected from the network(which it didn't), or the
> > name is invalid (which doesn't make sense because that is the name the
> > printer wizard found). Please help!
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Use the Add Printer Wizard on the Networked PC you want to install the
> > > printer on and Browse for the Printer.
> > > --
> > > Cari
> > > (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
> > >
> > > "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jared" wrote:

> no, I havn't figured it out yet. I am not sure if this could be the problem,
> but all of the computers on my network have different IP addresses, and when
> I try to change them to the same one manually, the network messes up. It is
> quite confusing. I know that the other computer can locate the printers, it
> is just that it wont let it hook up.
>

>I get the same messages as you have stated. It will load up the printer but it just won't print. I was hoping you had maybe found out how to do it since the suggestions from cari were usless!

Jared

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

as soon as I figure it out I will post it here. If i do...if someone else
sees this, read the above entries and try to help Bob and I with our network
printer problems

"Bob" wrote:

> "Jared" wrote:
>
> > no, I havn't figured it out yet. I am not sure if this could be the problem,
> > but all of the computers on my network have different IP addresses, and when
> > I try to change them to the same one manually, the network messes up. It is
> > quite confusing. I know that the other computer can locate the printers, it
> > is just that it wont let it hook up.
> >

> >I get the same messages as you have stated. It will load up the printer but it just won't print. I was hoping you had maybe found out how to do it since the suggestions from cari were usless!

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok Jared: I got mine working! Here is the system I am using: I bought a
new computer and wanted to use my existing printer that was on my other
computer. Fix: I went into My Network Places. Then selected "Set up a home
or small office network". I went thru and set it all up on my new computer
first then went and set it up on my other computer that has the printer. I
then made sure I could see each computer from the other one in "View
workgroup computers" I am running a wireless net. I also went into device
drivers and disabled my network card for hardwired networks. So it wouldn't
default to it. Then I went into "Add a printer" selected the "Add to network
or a printer on another computer" or whatever the wordage is. Then go the the
brouse part wwhere you type in the name......at this point you should be able
to see the other computer name...double click it and it will give you the
path for the printer .....click it and it will put it in the name box for
you.....hit next and go on.

Can the computer without the printer actually SEE the files and folders on
the computer with the printer and vice versa? Are both PCs in the same
workgroup? Are hard drives and/or files/folders actually shared? Are they
networked via a router, a hub, a switch or perhaps crossover cable?

Same question to Bob since he appears to think I'm useless... let's figure
out whether this is a basic NETWORKING problem or a printing one huh? Then
everyone will know whether to research into the make and model of printer
and see whether it's printer specific or whether to refer the posters to the
Networking newsgroup.