woot volcano 7's kick ass

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
buy volcano 7's guys it lowered my cpu temp by 20 degrees vrs my old volcano 5 of course I modded the fan so it constantly spins at 5000rpm's but anyway I reccomend them to you all!

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!

barureddy

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I tried it on my p4 and I didn't notice more than 1C (quite setting slighly noiser than the stock hsf) difference when compared to the stock intel hsf. Also in my experience volcano 7 didn't excert enough force onto the processor to properly transfer the heat well enough. I did use some artic silver 3 to help with the conduction but there is a fundmental problem with its design for the p4. For the p4 I don't think it is worth the money.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I'm with you! The heatsink is really nice. I can run the fan that comes with it at 1500 RPM and my AXP 1800+ temps only reach 51/52 C under load (45C idle)! A lot of it has to do with the nice socket on my mobo though. Some mobos have been sockets that don't create enough pressure to make full contact between the heatsink and CPU core.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

CharlesHF

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
51-52C under load, with 45C IDLE?????? That's <b>incredibly</b> HOT!! You seriously need to do something about that. Running at anything above 50C for an extended period of time will decrease the lifespan of your processor. I think that you need to up the RPM's on that fan, dude!

Soyo Dragon+ Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ AGKGA-Y
H20 Bong Cooled
256MB DDR RAM

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I do know that heat can have a marked effect on the lifespan of a processor but I'm not sure if it really does or is just an old wives tale. I've had some really hot processors before that lasted for years.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!

CharlesHF

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Right, those were made to tolerate higher temps. Today's processors aren't made to tolerate higher temps. If you go and look at the maximum recommended temps from AMD, you'll see that (if I can remember correctly) a Tbird is 90C, and an XP is around 70C. Either way, you ALWAYS want to stay well below that, since they are the maximum operating temperatures. But, it is summer, and temps are bound to go up.

Soyo Dragon+ Motherboard
H20 Bong Cooled
256MB DDR RAM

G

Actually any temp above 0K will cause the deterioration of the silicon doping. So you suffer from the same problem he does only not as bad.

Don't worry, no matter how well you cool your stuff, statistically you are never safe.

CharlesHF

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
True, but at 0K nothing happens, so it doesn't matter anyway.
But, while he's running at 45 idle, he's practically non-overclockable, while I am. :smile:

Soyo Dragon+ Motherboard
H20 Bong Cooled
256MB DDR RAM

SNIPERQX4

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
The swiftek mx462 cpu is the best cooling one says tom's hardware. I am int eh process of looking for a new heatsink since my tbird keeps freezing at load duing games at 130f but when i put a hoseu fan on it it enver chashes so im going to order a swiftek.

G

I think the Zalmans are mostly for quiet cooling, ie performs almost as well with low speed fans as high speed ones. If quiet is what you're after it may be the way to go.

Lately I've been reading a couple of new reviews which say the SLK-800 (the brand new heatsink from thermalrite) is outperforming the MCX-462, and the PAL8045 with the same fan. I think hardocp had a good review.

Maybe Tom needs to update his website.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I don't recommend the Zalman CPU Cooler. It is designed for quiet performance, not good performance. Every review that I have read rates it's performance at medium or even lower, and it's price is near the top.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I was looking at this cooler over at <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzE3" target="_new">Hard|OCP</A>. In there comparison the Thermalright is #1, the Swiftech is #2, and the Alpha comes in #3.

I think that that looks to be an okay cooler design. I would like to point out that the Swiftech is equiped with the Delta FFB0812SHE-F00 which is a dual blade designed, 48.5dBA, 170 gram, 68.51 CFM, 80mm^2 x 38.5mm fan. The Thermalright is using the biggest in that series of fans. It uses the FFB0812EHE-F00 which is also 170 grams, but is a 52.5 dBA and 80.16 CFM fan. (See both of those <A HREF="http://www.deltaww.com/products/dcfans/pdf/FFB808038.pdf" target="_new">Delta's here</A>.) In comparison, the Alpha 8045 used in the comparison is using the Delta AFB0812SH-F00, which is 80 grams, 80mm^2 x 25.4mm, 40 dBA, and 46.62 CFM. (See the <A HREF="http://www.deltaww.com/products/dcfans/pdf/AFB8080254.pdf" target="_new">Delta AFB0812SH-F00's stats here</A>.)

So for comparitive purposes I will look at all of the reviews listed on <A HREF="http://thermalright.com/slk800.html" target="_new">ThermalRight's Product page</A>. I will not comment on the German one because I do not speak German.

Looking at the DansData.Com review, look at what they said.

"<A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp_p3.htm#slk800" target="_new">With the FFB0812EHE on it, the SLK-800 turned in a superlative 0.46°C/W result. That blasts this cooler into the lead for the whole Socket A/370 air cooler category, by a significant margin.

You'd blooming well want it to be something special, though; this is a loud fan, and most people will not tolerate it.

With a much less irritating but still quite powerful 4.3 watt 80mm Sunon fan on it (a KD1208PTBX-6A, with a 50.6 cubic feet per minute free-air flow rating), the SLK-800 managed 0.50°C/W. That's a very good figure, too, and it means that this heat sink should still qualify as a quite serious overclockers' cooler even if you put a super-low-noise thermally controlled 80mm fan on it.</A>"

As most people know, 0.50C/W or even that "wonderful" result of 0.46C/W is not that good. The Alpha 8045 with the <A HREF="http://www.micforg.co.jp/c_pal8045e_other_fan.html" target="_new">Sanyo Denki 109R0812H402 is at 0.32-0.36C/W</A>. The Sanyo fan is 80mm^2 x 25mm, 29 dBA, and 36.4 CFM fan. (<A HREF="http://sanyodb.colle.co.jp/coolingpdf/LinkedPages/petit.pdf" target="_new">See the stats on Page 2 here</A>.)

So you can clearly see that this is the same as the Hard|OCP review. If they used the even bigger SHE or EHE dual bladed fans they would get better comparitative results.

As for the SystemCooling.Com review.

"<A HREF="http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=71" target="_new">The physical dimensions of the SLK-800 are; 87 (L) x 56.4 (W) x 48 (H) mm without a fan installed at the top the base measurements are 25 (L) x 56.4 (W) mm. The heatsink weighs in at 505 grams also without the fan. The design of the SLK-800 looks like it will fit the majority of known Socket 370/462 motherboards and I had no problems what so ever installing it. You will need a flathead screwdriver for installation.</A>"

505 grams without the fan!!! Ouch! The Swiftech weighs 560 grams but that is secured to the motherboard using screws and not a clip like the Thermalright SLK-800. That is a lot of weight for a clip. It is a three hole clip so at least it has that going for it. However add a huge fan and the weight is now 675 grams. That is a lot of weight for a clip. I would much rather use a screw attachment method for that kind of wieght.

So I hope that you see that both the Swiftech and this ThermalRight are really heavy and really loud. You can get similar results with the Alpha using a lower CFM fan. The Alpha is just a better C/W design.

Back to you...

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

G

good point. the weight thing bugs me too. stupid that they didn't make it a bolt on like the swifteck and alpha are, if you asked me.

In my instance, the weight wouldn't be as much a problem as I have the fan mounted to the side of the case, with a cardboard duct attatched to it. It ends up hovering an inch or so from the heat sink itself. So the heatsink doesn't bear the fan itself. But it still bugs me.

Not that I plan on playing rugby with my computer. I don't want too take unecessary chances.

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking for a heatsink with good performance and quiet. Swiftech is good but way too loud and I assume the SLK-800 is almost the same as Swiftech. I can't afford watercooler at this moment. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but something that will do a good job.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
The reason I like the Alpha is the fact that it is a large cooler that attaches using screws, but the most important aspect is that it cools well with lower CFM and lower dBA fans. With the Sayo Denki fan, or any generic, that 27-29 dBA and moves around 34-37 CFM you will get good results. (~0.32C/W isn't bad.) ThermalTake has a couple of really good 80mm fans. (They continue to suprise me with the products they create.) The first is the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1214.htm" target="_new">A1214. (AKA "Smart Fan")</A> It is a variable speed, 80mm, 53 CFM max fan. The lowest setting is 46 CFM at 2900RPM. (27 dBA at 2900 rpm and 39 dBA at 5000 rpm ) The newest addition they made is the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1357.htm" target="_new">A1357. (AKA "Smart Fan II")</A> It is also a variable speed, 80mm fan. However the top end is 75.7CFM and 48 dBA at 4800RPM and the low end is 20.55CFM and 17 dBA at 1300RPM.

So with the first fan you can move 46CFM with 27 dBA. That moves as much air as the Delta AFB0812SH-F00 but at with ~13 dBA less. So the effective cooling should be around 0.28C/W. Very nice.

Again, Back to you...

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Well, my Volcano 7+ arrived, and some Arctic Silver 3. My CPU temp went from 53C to 37C, and then this morning it was espeacially cold in my room, and the temp dropped down to 28C (15C case temp.)

So I am pretty happy with it, but it does weigh a ton, and as someone else found out, be carefull putting it on or you may just crack the CPU core.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Cool. The best advice to take is... "Whatever works and makes you happy is your best solution."