Fax sharing without server

First of all, excuse me for my bad English.

I have a network without server, all computers are WindowsXP SP2 , in wich I
have had running without problems for a long time WinFax 10.02, the modem is
in one of the computers and the others sent faxes through this one fine, but
suddenly it stopped working. I have tryed a solution through Symantec
support but it doesn´t work for me (and for others as I`ve could seen).
I've readen this newsgroup and it seems that built in windows xp fax console
doesn't work without server, and other programs I've seen quite the same.
The question is: Is there any software like Winfax that have fax sharing
capabilities WITHOUT a server?

Thanks a lot

Rafael Andaluz

A third party fax server (which is what Winfax has been for you and
is still what you need) does not need to run on a server OS, though
you do need to be running a MS server OS for the _Microsoft_ fax
service to function as a fax server. Do a Google search on "fax server
software" for an assortment of solutions.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:50:26 +0200, "Rafael Andaluz"
<r.andaluz@eresmas.net> wrote:

>First of all, excuse me for my bad English.
>
>I have a network without server, all computers are WindowsXP SP2 , in wich I
>have had running without problems for a long time WinFax 10.02, the modem is
>in one of the computers and the others sent faxes through this one fine, but
>suddenly it stopped working. I have tryed a solution through Symantec
>support but it doesn´t work for me (and for others as I`ve could seen).
>I've readen this newsgroup and it seems that built in windows xp fax console
>doesn't work without server, and other programs I've seen quite the same.
>The question is: Is there any software like Winfax that have fax sharing
>capabilities WITHOUT a server?
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Rafael Andaluz

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher

Have you tried the Symantec fix for XPsp2? If you haven't, it is
supposed to solve the XP/Winfax problem.

I'm interested in fax sharing solutions as well, and would rather not
purchase more copies of Winfax 10, as I never get the use that
justifies the cost. Can I setup my Winfax 10.03 as a "server" and use
other clients, such as the fax sw built into XP?
Despite the many problems I've had with Winfax, (usually installation
issues only) it has done what I wanted, and performed well.

News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

I gave up on Winfax well before SP2. In my experience, it never
functioned predictably or reliably on any OS later than Win98SE,
despite the various supposed "fixes" for admitted incompatibilities
which were released. In fact, even WinFax 9. worked better on (some)
XP systems than any flavour of Winfax 10. There are so many better,
cheaper, faxing solutions out there that it is (IMHO) crazy spending
any time at all in trying to make Winfax work.

AFAIK, also, it is deliberately designed to force you to buy
additional copies if you want to use it as a server, and does not have
a published interface for non-Winfax clients - since even Winfax's fax
image file format is proprietary, I wish you luck trying to talk to a
Winfax Server with anything other than another copy of Winfax (with a
different, valid, Registration #, of course!).