Noob needs a bit of cooling help :(

KeithTheMaltese

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Hello,

First off I've been surfing tech sites on the Net and these forums are definetely a huge source of up-to-date information for PC noobs like myself. I read many many posts about cooling etc in these forums but since all PC set-ups differ and one can't generalise I decided to post this topic to clear all my doubts. Thanks for your help in advance, the island of Malta salutes you! :)

Now, onto the problem. I just bought myself an Athlon XP 1800+ processor on a Soltek SL-75DRV5 mobo (VIA KT333 chipset) which has been recommended as a very good performing mobo on the market. This motherboard has an Anti-Burn Shield built-in so that if the CPU temperature exceeds 70 or so it shuts down automatically. It has also 5 fan connectors. But on the first day overheating problems occured.

This is my fan set-up:

The PC came with a good-sized HSF running at around 4500 RPM. I checked that between the CPU and heatsink there is the thermal paste. The PSU comes with an exhaust (out-take) fan. I also have another 80mm x 80mm exhaust fan just under the PSU that spins at around 2500 rpm. (There are also 2 very small fans for the mobo and video card but I don't think they're worth mentioning anyway)

My room temperature is around 30 degrees (Maltese summer...) and my case temperature is of around 40 degrees.
On idle conditions the CPU runs at around 50-55 degrees but when I play a 3d-game the temperature goes beyond 65!!! Of course this is very hot...if I hadn't the anti-burn shield I would probably have fried my Athlon XP.

I have read many of the posts in this forum and I think that an intake fan at the bottom-front of the case would be ideal. But would this be sufficient? Any suggestions? My PSU cables and IDE cables seem to get in the way too...what should I do? Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,

Keith.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Size of the HSF doesn't matter as much as the quality. Did you buy the Athlon XP retail or OEM? If it was OEM, then what heatsink did you buy separately?

All I gotta say is: DANG. 30°C/86°F is so hot! (BTW, indicate °C and °F in your posts to avoid confusion.) I think you need that intake fan at least. Then, hopefully your case would be at ambient temps, assuming you've done all you can to clear the clutter inside.

If you case cables are messy, try the folding technique with the IDE cables. What I mean is folding them over, so they don't take up more space than needed. If I had a digital camera, I'd take a picture of mine. I did my best, but I want to get a better case that has more room. Also, just try and tuck cables away in the empty drive bays (if any). The only other way to get a absolutely neat PC is to get a rich and awesome from Voodoo PC. I read an article in Maximum PC about them, and it was totally cool how they folded the IDE cables, and how they ran other cables for the least amount of clutter.

Bryan

<font color=red><Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A></b>
My personal website, chock full of tips and other computer stuff. No ads, banners, or catches. It's currently based on Windows XP, but Windows 2000 stuff to come.
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new"><font color=green>Villarin's Velocity Virus Machine</font color=green></A></b> - How's that???
<font color=red></ Signature></font color=red>

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
I would get some fans that move more air through your case... www.coolcases.com sells 80x80x25mm 40CFM panaflo fans (32 dB) for about 10 U.S. Dollars (without shipping)... Also if you have more slots for fans, then i suggest filling up those spaces too. If your willing to modify your case, look up some info on cooling ducts. They're cheap and they help cool the processor. Also, recheck the thermal paste and the heatsink again. Sometimes if you readjust it, you'll get better contact between the hsf and the processor. Good Luck!

Save the trees.. wipe your ass with an owl.

KeithTheMaltese

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Thanks for the replies all...

I have normal thermal paste I believe (silicon-based)
I heard silver-based paste does lower the temp but only by few degrees or so.

I tried an experiment...took off one of the side case panels and put a household fan blowing in the case....the idle temperature was of around 20-22 while at load it never went beyond 35 or so!

Of course I want to "emulate" these conditions with the case on...any particular ideas? I think the intake 80x80mm fan is really needed there...will do it tommorow.

Keith

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
The silver-based paste you're talking about is called Arctic Silver thermal compound. And, depending on the "cheeziness factor" of your current paste, it might do wonders for your processor. :smile:

Tell us how it goes after getting an intake fan. See ya,

Bryan

<font color=red><Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A></b>
My personal website, chock full of tips and other computer stuff. No ads, banners, or catches. It's currently based on Windows XP, but Windows 2000 stuff to come.
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new"><font color=green>Villarin's Velocity Virus Machine</font color=green></A></b> - How's that name???
<font color=red></ Signature></font color=red>