How to move inkjet cradle back and forth

Hi, I'm modifying HP Deskjet 648 printer.
I want the cradle (which contains ink cartridges) to move back and forth
between the end stops of a horizontal rod, on which the cradle travels.
I understand that the cradle is driven by a step motor,
so it needs a computer command to make any move.
My question is: how do I go about making the cradle move back and forth
indefinitely, without stopping?
My computer is PIII 450Mhz running Windows Home XP.
Thank you in advance for any ideas you care to share. Adam

Byte

For what purpose would anyone want to do this? Your printer would bite the
dust in less than 24 hours. XP doesn't have a feature that will do this, but
your printer might. Contact HP and find out what they have to say about this.

"AdamW" wrote:

> Hi, I'm modifying HP Deskjet 648 printer.
> I want the cradle (which contains ink cartridges) to move back and forth
> between the end stops of a horizontal rod, on which the cradle travels.
> I understand that the cradle is driven by a step motor,
> so it needs a computer command to make any move.
> My question is: how do I go about making the cradle move back and forth
> indefinitely, without stopping?
> My computer is PIII 450Mhz running Windows Home XP.
> Thank you in advance for any ideas you care to share. Adam

Byte, thank you for your reply. Good idea. I will contact HP and ask. Thanks,
Adam