Modem Compatibility with Win XP Pro

Hello,

I read the posting that said that some modems are incompatible with Windows
XP. I'm just wondering if mine is compatible. I am able to receive faxes but
not send them from my desktop. Can this problem be a compatibilty issue or
did I set the dialing rules incorrectly?

When I try to send a fax, my modem dials and I hear a muffled voice message
and I can't make out what it's saying. I set the TSID and the CSID as my fax
number.

Thanks in advance!

It could to either. Check the HCL to see if your modem is listed:

Windows XP Hardware Compatibility
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx
Why do my Fax transmissions fail so often?
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835142

The "muffled voice" is probably a recorded message complaining about how
the number was dialed. You need to use Canonical (International) format for
dialing rules to work:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318575
Dialing Rules May Not Be Applied to Tools Such as Fax
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=247192
You Must Enter Telephone Numbers in Canonical Form in Order to Use Dialing
Rules
http://www.slipstick.com/config/olphone.htm
Microsoft Outlook Phone Numbers

Hal