Sign in with
Your question

I'm hoping this is a Win 7 error....

Tags:
  • Media Player
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 24, 2010 12:01:45 AM

So I've reinstalled Win 7 2 times now, still haven't been able to narrow down my problem:

Intermittently My computer will slow down to a crawl, it'll take forever to read the HD, the internet runs slow, everything. this happens especially when I'm watching movies on my computer, worse with Win Media player than VLC media player, though it happens severely with both. I'll be watching, then about 1 hour in the video will start to stutter, then slow to a crawl. I have to shut down the video, wait about 5 mins, then restart it (will work fine for about another hour or so). In VLC media player I notice that the video is "buffering" though I'm not streaming from the internet, I'm watching from my Hard drive.

Similar thing happens when I'm gaming, no matter what game I play, after about an hour or so (sometimes earlier, sometimes later) it will slow down to a crawl, I'll wait for about 2-3 mins, then it seems as though the computer "caught up" to whatever it was doing previously or in the background and I can play normally again.

I've looked at the resource monitor when this happens, and everything goes through the roof, RAM usage, CPU usage, HD read.

Checked the Temps of the computer, nothing out of the ordinary, most of the time everything is right around 42 degrees C, with the exception of my GFX card which gets up to around 58 degrees when playing games.

My Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
6GB DDR2 ram: 2x2GB of Crucial PC2-6400 (400mhz), 1x2GB PC26400 G Skill RAM.
NVIDIA Geforce GTX260 896MB GDDR3 RAM
Windows 7 Home 64Bit
Western Digital Raptor WD3000HLFS 300GB HD
Soundblaster XFI
I've been at this for a couple of months now trying to figure out what on earth the problem could be, anyone have any suggestions?

More about : hoping win error

October 24, 2010 12:35:31 AM

I'm also getting same problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 24, 2010 2:59:41 AM

thinking... be back after gather thoughts.
m
l
October 24, 2010 11:38:04 AM

anyone else have any thoughts? from what I've read online, other people have had this problem as well
m
l
Related resources
!