Receiving Faxes in XP

If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
automatic answering.
What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
when I read it.
9 answers Last reply
More about receiving faxes

    I too have had a lot of the same problems as other people in receiveing
    faxes. I have read a lot of the discussions but am confused also. I sent a
    fax using Word (Fax Console) but unable to receive. I have configured but
    doesn't do any good. When I go to fax properties on the Track tab, there is
    a red check & ! on top of my fax icon. Everything seems to be enabled to
    recieve & send but the receive part isn't happening. I have an Intel R 537
    EP V9X DF PCI modem. Please help us as there are many of us having the same
    problem. I have already missed 2 faxes I was suppose to receive today.

    "kws7159" wrote:

    > If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
    > not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
    > automatic answering.
    > What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
    > much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
    > when I read it.

    Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
    What settings did you specify?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
    > not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
    > automatic answering.
    > What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
    > much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
    > when I read it.

    Here are my settings:

    I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.

    Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
    Enable Send
    Enable Receive
    Auto Answer After Two Rings
    TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
    CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
    Print Is On
    Store a Copy In Folder

    The wizard says everything is configured properly.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
    > What settings did you specify?
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
    > > not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
    > > automatic answering.
    > > What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
    > > much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
    > > when I read it.

    Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?

    --
    > Here are my settings:
    >
    > I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.
    >
    > Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
    > Enable Send
    > Enable Receive
    > Auto Answer After Two Rings
    > TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
    > CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
    > Print Is On
    > Store a Copy In Folder
    >
    > The wizard says everything is configured properly.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
    >> What settings did you specify?
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it
    >> > will
    >> > not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up
    >> > for
    >> > automatic answering.
    >> > What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't
    >> > know
    >> > much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to
    >> > me
    >> > when I read it.

    No messages of any kind.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Here are my settings:
    > >
    > > I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.
    > >
    > > Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
    > > Enable Send
    > > Enable Receive
    > > Auto Answer After Two Rings
    > > TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
    > > CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
    > > Print Is On
    > > Store a Copy In Folder
    > >
    > > The wizard says everything is configured properly.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
    > >> What settings did you specify?
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    How nice.
    Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    might lie.

    These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

    --
    > No messages of any kind.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Here are my settings:
    >> >
    >> > I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.
    >> >
    >> > Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
    >> > Enable Send
    >> > Enable Receive
    >> > Auto Answer After Two Rings
    >> > TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
    >> > CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
    >> > Print Is On
    >> > Store a Copy In Folder
    >> >
    >> > The wizard says everything is configured properly.

    Thank you. At least I am not going crazy. Have a great life.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > How nice.
    > Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    > modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    > they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    > during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    > first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    > an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    > messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    > There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    > might lie.
    >
    > These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    > enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    > require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    > advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    > on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No messages of any kind.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I sent one fax from my Fax Console but unable to receive any. In my event
    window it shows: Ringing, Ringing, The call was answered & then it says: An
    error occured while receiving fax. This is the error message I usually get.
    I have done all the suggestions & nothing works. Is there a patch or
    something to fix this? I have checked compatibility & it says my Intel R 537
    EP V9X DF PCI modem is compatible with Win XP. So then I looked for a patch
    for it & couldn't find one. I have read the same information below that you
    have written to everyone else. It doesn't answer what to do with the
    useless fax program we all have installed in our computers. Do we have to
    try to find a different fax program or is there a fix to the same problem
    that everyone seems to be having? I had a fax program on my old computer,
    BVRP Phone Tools but it don't recognize my modem so I didn't install it on my
    new computer.
    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > How nice.
    > Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
    > modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
    > they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
    > during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
    > first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
    > an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
    > messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
    > There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
    > might lie.
    >
    > These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
    > enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
    > require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
    > advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
    > on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
    >

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > No messages of any kind.
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    There are no solutions for these problems.
    There are lots of modems with which Windows XP Fax will not work. Being
    "compatible" with Windows XP is not the same as being on the Windows XP HCL
    list.
    Most people for whom PC faxing is important purchase reliable fax software.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

Fax Microsoft Windows XP