Question Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
It's the Mac OS X section. Gee, I wonder what OS he would be using... :p

Ok, RAM will assist you when you open many files and programmes. Given how cheap RAM is, I would insist that you pick up a 8GB Mac RAM kit. Don't worry, I'm assuming you're running Snow Leopard or Lion so you are able to use all of the RAM.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
My OS is Lion with the new Mac Mini and the pages load slow all of a sudden. I have 2 gigs of memory now. Is this my connection? thanks Marv

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Open Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities >) and look in the System Memory tab when you notice a slow down. See how much FREE memory you have (the higher the better), and how big the PAGE INS/PAGE OUTS is (the lower the better).

4GB of RAM is pretty standard nowadays. It is too bad Apple sells machine with only 2GB. At least, memory is cheap now (if you don't buy it from Apple).

Here's a good place to buy memory for your mac:

http://www.macsales.com/

At 29$ for a 2X2GB kit (mac mini 2011 model), it is a no brainer for me. I would even consider the 2X4GB kit for 50$ so I get an eventual good resale value on my machine.

edit: RAM won't affect your connection speed, at least not directly, but web pages might load slower if your system is starving for RAM.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thnanks I sopke with Apple and they told me 2 gigs of ram is sufficient for what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.