EQ1 Framerates

What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics card
and memory ?

Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?
7 answers Last reply
More about framerates

    >What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics card
    >and memory ?

    Definition of "decent" varies far too widely to answer this question.

    >Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?

    Yes, and very much on how many other players (and to a lesser extent mobs) are
    in your theoretical (both in sight and obscured by walls/distance) of view.

    Somewhere between 0.5 and 140 fps, more or less.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    I have a notebook with a 9700/9800 mobility radeon but will soon get a AMD
    64 3,0+ with a 6600gt and 1gb internal memory ddr400.

    You see I quit EQ 4 years ago because I started getting headaches from
    playing and maybe that was because I got sensitive and couldn't handle lag
    well.
    I started getting headaches sometimes around when the Velious expansion
    came.

    Do you still get the bad lag you could sometimes get back then or has that
    improved ?

    I understand that on big raids and in very crowded zones you can get bad
    lag - but 0,5 fps ? you must be joking ...

    I would have hoped for an estimate or guess ( something like 30-40 fps
    normally and 10-60 in specific conditions)

    I don't know how online games differ from ordinary single player games in
    this respect , if online games use special techniques for making movement
    smooth in "lag situations"

    Maxx Taxx <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >You see I quit EQ 4 years ago because I started getting headaches from
    >playing and maybe that was because I got sensitive and couldn't handle lag
    >well.

    It's impossible to say what your experience will be like. If playing gives
    you headaches, then not playing is a wise move. Unfortunately, there's no way
    to tell if new hardware is going to alleviate the headaches other than to just
    try it and see.

    >Do you still get the bad lag you could sometimes get back then or has that
    >improved ?

    Lag has improved, but then so has my 'net connection. Framerate has massively
    improved, along with my machine. I still get bad lag and bad framerates
    occasionally.

    [Note: I tend to think of "lag" as being server or net problems that cause my
    spells not to complete, etc, and framerate as the video slowness that crowds
    or bad zone design can cause]

    >I understand that on big raids and in very crowded zones you can get bad
    >lag - but 0,5 fps ? you must be joking ...

    If I stand at the main bank in PoK during a MGB festival, it gets this bad.
    Pretty much never other than that.

    >I would have hoped for an estimate or guess ( something like 30-40 fps
    >normally and 10-60 in specific conditions)

    Depends so much on your hardware, resolution, display options, and what zones
    you play in that this can't be done. That won't stop me! On newish hardware
    (which your GF6600 certainly is), you'll get 40-120fps most of the time if
    you keep resolution low, and don't enable the more expensive video
    options. You WILL find times it gets worse than that.

    >I don't know how online games differ from ordinary single player games in
    >this respect , if online games use special techniques for making movement
    >smooth in "lag situations"

    Single player games simply never have the sheer number of highly-detailed
    models in view at the same time.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:31:52 +0200, "Maxx Taxx" <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:

    I have a upper-mid range gaming system. Abit IC7-G, P4 3.0GHz Northwood, 1GB PC4000, BFG
    6800 GT OC, Audigy 2. I have a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 360ATX power supply, the big
    Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU cooler with Artic Silver 5, a Zalman ZM-NB47J chipset heatsink with
    Arctic Silver thermal adhesive, and an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 2) on the GPU
    with Arctic Silver 5. It's all wrapped up in a nice big full tower case from a
    long-defunct manufacturer. The result is near-silent even under the heaviest loads, and
    can run Doom 3 at playable frame rates, no problem, with the ultra-quality mod.

    I keep FRAPS running during all of my gaming... http://www.fraps.com

    Side note - don't use frame rates to compare the quality of gameplay between a shooter and
    EQL - the player's tasks are so different, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

    In EQL, I keep all of the eye candy turned to max. Except shadows - I don't like their
    particular brand of clutter.

    While soloing, in most zones I'll see FPS rates well into the triple digits. I very
    rarely drop below 30FPS (which I would consider to be the bare minimum for persistence of
    vision).

    PoK frame rates sit in excess of 50, until I head dive into an MGB party, and keep all the
    characters in my field of view....then I'll be lucky to see 15FPS. I can hear the fan on
    my 6800 GT kick into high gear :-> I almost always face a wall to keep things reasonable
    (I used the same trick in the old bazaar).

    Raid frame rates range from 25-50FPS, depending on my field of view, the visible area of
    the zone, and the texturing used in the map. I usually turn off "other's spell effects"
    to contain the visual clutter of several dozen casters :-> I can see all the way across
    the courtyard at Tormax' castle, or quite deep into Maiden's Eye from any of the ZIs.

    Even in the mid-20s, EQL is very playable and looks as quite fine.

    I haven't done a lot in DoN, so I really have no information to share about my rig's
    performance in the revamped Lavastorm. But it sure looked GREAT when I jumped in there on
    the live date. Then I bumped into a party who had engaged Tirranun, and he laid waste to
    my evening...

    Best regards,

    Tim ==
    (substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
    _________________

    Seeq Endestroi
    Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

    Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
    http://www.gravewisdom.com

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:14:12 -0500, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:31:52 +0200, "Maxx Taxx" <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I have a upper-mid range gaming system.

    I forgot to brag that I can run 4 separate EQL instances on this single computer without
    much difficulty. Zoning times slow to a crawl, and I have to back down on the far clip
    rate in large raids, but other than that we're good to go! :->

    "Maxx Taxx" <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > "Mark Rafn" <dagon@dagon.net> skrev i meddelandet
    >> >What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics
    >> >card and memory ?
    >>
    >> Definition of "decent" varies far too widely to answer this question.
    >>
    >>>Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?
    >>
    >> Yes, and very much on how many other players (and to a lesser extent
    >> mobs) are
    >> in your theoretical (both in sight and obscured by walls/distance) of
    >> view.
    >>
    >> Somewhere between 0.5 and 140 fps, more or less.
    >
    > I have a notebook with a 9700/9800 mobility radeon but will soon get a
    > AMD 64 3,0+ with a 6600gt and 1gb internal memory ddr400.
    >
    > You see I quit EQ 4 years ago because I started getting headaches from
    > playing and maybe that was because I got sensitive and couldn't handle
    > lag well.
    > I started getting headaches sometimes around when the Velious
    > expansion came.
    >
    > Do you still get the bad lag you could sometimes get back then or has
    > that improved ?
    >
    > I understand that on big raids and in very crowded zones you can get
    > bad lag - but 0,5 fps ? you must be joking ...
    >
    > I would have hoped for an estimate or guess ( something like 30-40 fps
    > normally and 10-60 in specific conditions)
    >
    > I don't know how online games differ from ordinary single player games
    > in this respect , if online games use special techniques for making
    > movement smooth in "lag situations"

    <toppost fixed>

    I run with an AMD XP 3200+, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 sram, and an ATi
    9800 Pro with 128MB. Even in raids with just my spell effects on, I do
    not experience framerates that low. I have never measured the framerate,
    but the only time I see unacceptably low framerates in EQ1 is when a zone
    is seriously overcrowded, ie two or three raids hitting the same zone at
    the same time. When raiding, I look at the targets, I do not have to
    turn to face a wall, or look down at my feet. If I turn on all spell
    effects for everyone, then framerates drop dramatically.

    I run with Luclin models on for all races, 1280x1024 resolution, shadows
    turned off.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    In article <kooqp2-t0d.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net> wrote:

    >If playing gives you headaches, then not playing is a wise move.

    Well, unless you LIKE headaches...

Graphics Cards Games Video Games