EQ1 Framerates

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2005 2:31:52 AM

What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics card
and memory ?

Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?

More about : eq1 framerates

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 2, 2005 2:31:53 AM

>What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics card
>and memory ?

Definition of "decent" varies far too widely to answer this question.

>Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?

Yes, and very much on how many other players (and to a lesser extent mobs) are
in your theoretical (both in sight and obscured by walls/distance) of view.

Somewhere between 0.5 and 140 fps, more or less.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
Anonymous

I have a notebook with a 9700/9800 mobility radeon but will soon get a AMD
64 3,0+ with a 6600gt and 1gb internal memory ddr400.

You see I quit EQ 4 years ago because I started getting headaches from
playing and maybe that was because I got sensitive and couldn't handle lag
well.
I started getting headaches sometimes around when the Velious expansion
came.

Do you still get the bad lag you could sometimes get back then or has that
improved ?

I understand that on big raids and in very crowded zones you can get bad
lag - but 0,5 fps ? you must be joking ...

I would have hoped for an estimate or guess ( something like 30-40 fps
normally and 10-60 in specific conditions)

I don't know how online games differ from ordinary single player games in
this respect , if online games use special techniques for making movement
smooth in "lag situations"

"Mark Rafn" <dagon@dagon.net> skrev i meddelandet
> >What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics card
>>and memory ?
>
> Definition of "decent" varies far too widely to answer this question.
>
>>Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?
>
> Yes, and very much on how many other players (and to a lesser extent mobs)
> are
> in your theoretical (both in sight and obscured by walls/distance) of
> view.
>
> Somewhere between 0.5 and 140 fps, more or less.
> --
> Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2005 1:23:16 PM

Maxx Taxx <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:
>You see I quit EQ 4 years ago because I started getting headaches from
>playing and maybe that was because I got sensitive and couldn't handle lag
>well.

It's impossible to say what your experience will be like. If playing gives
you headaches, then not playing is a wise move. Unfortunately, there's no way
to tell if new hardware is going to alleviate the headaches other than to just
try it and see.

>Do you still get the bad lag you could sometimes get back then or has that
>improved ?

Lag has improved, but then so has my 'net connection. Framerate has massively
improved, along with my machine. I still get bad lag and bad framerates
occasionally.

[Note: I tend to think of "lag" as being server or net problems that cause my
spells not to complete, etc, and framerate as the video slowness that crowds
or bad zone design can cause]

>I understand that on big raids and in very crowded zones you can get bad
>lag - but 0,5 fps ? you must be joking ...

If I stand at the main bank in PoK during a MGB festival, it gets this bad.
Pretty much never other than that.

>I would have hoped for an estimate or guess ( something like 30-40 fps
>normally and 10-60 in specific conditions)

Depends so much on your hardware, resolution, display options, and what zones
you play in that this can't be done. That won't stop me! On newish hardware
(which your GF6600 certainly is), you'll get 40-120fps most of the time if
you keep resolution low, and don't enable the more expensive video
options. You WILL find times it gets worse than that.

>I don't know how online games differ from ordinary single player games in
>this respect , if online games use special techniques for making movement
>smooth in "lag situations"

Single player games simply never have the sheer number of highly-detailed
models in view at the same time.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2005 5:14:12 PM

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:31:52 +0200, "Maxx Taxx" <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:

I have a upper-mid range gaming system. Abit IC7-G, P4 3.0GHz Northwood, 1GB PC4000, BFG
6800 GT OC, Audigy 2. I have a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 360ATX power supply, the big
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU cooler with Artic Silver 5, a Zalman ZM-NB47J chipset heatsink with
Arctic Silver thermal adhesive, and an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 (Rev. 2) on the GPU
with Arctic Silver 5. It's all wrapped up in a nice big full tower case from a
long-defunct manufacturer. The result is near-silent even under the heaviest loads, and
can run Doom 3 at playable frame rates, no problem, with the ultra-quality mod.

I keep FRAPS running during all of my gaming... http://www.fraps.com

Side note - don't use frame rates to compare the quality of gameplay between a shooter and
EQL - the player's tasks are so different, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

In EQL, I keep all of the eye candy turned to max. Except shadows - I don't like their
particular brand of clutter.

While soloing, in most zones I'll see FPS rates well into the triple digits. I very
rarely drop below 30FPS (which I would consider to be the bare minimum for persistence of
vision).

PoK frame rates sit in excess of 50, until I head dive into an MGB party, and keep all the
characters in my field of view....then I'll be lucky to see 15FPS. I can hear the fan on
my 6800 GT kick into high gear :-> I almost always face a wall to keep things reasonable
(I used the same trick in the old bazaar).

Raid frame rates range from 25-50FPS, depending on my field of view, the visible area of
the zone, and the texturing used in the map. I usually turn off "other's spell effects"
to contain the visual clutter of several dozen casters :-> I can see all the way across
the courtyard at Tormax' castle, or quite deep into Maiden's Eye from any of the ZIs.

Even in the mid-20s, EQL is very playable and looks as quite fine.

I haven't done a lot in DoN, so I really have no information to share about my rig's
performance in the revamped Lavastorm. But it sure looked GREAT when I jumped in there on
the live date. Then I bumped into a party who had engaged Tirranun, and he laid waste to
my evening...

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
http://www.gravewisdom.com
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2005 7:16:29 PM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:14:12 -0500, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:31:52 +0200, "Maxx Taxx" <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have a upper-mid range gaming system.

I forgot to brag that I can run 4 separate EQL instances on this single computer without
much difficulty. Zoning times slow to a crawl, and I have to back down on the far clip
rate in large raids, but other than that we're good to go! :->
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2005 7:29:45 PM

"Maxx Taxx" <matsqq@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Mark Rafn" <dagon@dagon.net> skrev i meddelandet
>> >What framerates do you get with EQ1 if you have decent cpu, graphics
>> >card and memory ?
>>
>> Definition of "decent" varies far too widely to answer this question.
>>
>>>Does it depend much on what zone you are in ?
>>
>> Yes, and very much on how many other players (and to a lesser extent
>> mobs) are
>> in your theoretical (both in sight and obscured by walls/distance) of
>> view.
>>
>> Somewhere between 0.5 and 140 fps, more or less.
>
> I have a notebook with a 9700/9800 mobility radeon but will soon get a
> AMD 64 3,0+ with a 6600gt and 1gb internal memory ddr400.
>
> You see I quit EQ 4 years ago because I started getting headaches from
> playing and maybe that was because I got sensitive and couldn't handle
> lag well.
> I started getting headaches sometimes around when the Velious
> expansion came.
>
> Do you still get the bad lag you could sometimes get back then or has
> that improved ?
>
> I understand that on big raids and in very crowded zones you can get
> bad lag - but 0,5 fps ? you must be joking ...
>
> I would have hoped for an estimate or guess ( something like 30-40 fps
> normally and 10-60 in specific conditions)
>
> I don't know how online games differ from ordinary single player games
> in this respect , if online games use special techniques for making
> movement smooth in "lag situations"

<toppost fixed>

I run with an AMD XP 3200+, 1GB of dual channel PC3200 sram, and an ATi
9800 Pro with 128MB. Even in raids with just my spell effects on, I do
not experience framerates that low. I have never measured the framerate,
but the only time I see unacceptably low framerates in EQ1 is when a zone
is seriously overcrowded, ie two or three raids hitting the same zone at
the same time. When raiding, I look at the targets, I do not have to
turn to face a wall, or look down at my feet. If I turn on all spell
effects for everyone, then framerates drop dramatically.

I run with Luclin models on for all races, 1280x1024 resolution, shadows
turned off.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 5, 2005 10:17:45 PM

In article <kooqp2-t0d.ln1@hydra.dagon.net>, Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net> wrote:

>If playing gives you headaches, then not playing is a wise move.

Well, unless you LIKE headaches...
!