Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Full System Freeze On most Games (Crossfire)

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Crossfire
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
September 5, 2012 6:43:04 AM

Hi, sometimes when I'm playing most games on my steam library my whole Computer just freeze's. I was just playing Mount and Blade Warband before and it froze. The only way to fix it is having to hold the power button and turn it off and turn it back on. I have had this problem on Drive: San Francisco, Battlefield 3 (once), Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, Deus Ex Human Revolution.
I think the Problem is because of crossfire on my 2 5750s. People might say just Disable one and use one card, well I want full profromance not minimum when i have 2 cards ready to go in my computer. Can anyone Help?

System Specs:
Asus P5Q PRO TURBO
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 @ 2.83Ghz
4gb Corsair RAM
Two Asus 5750 Crossfire
Windows 7 Pro
NZXT 500w PSU

More about : full system freeze games crossfire

September 5, 2012 8:52:05 AM

Try downloading OCCT and run the graphics card stress test and see what happens. If it causes the system to crash then its either a problem with 1 of the cards or the power supply. I know you don't want to run it but does running just 1 card solve the problem?
m
l
September 5, 2012 7:13:54 PM

Ok, i was testing the power supply and i got "Core#0 over maximum value! Value Reached : 99, Max Value : 85" Does that mean anything?
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2012 7:44:02 PM

I think it means the CPU overheated, where does it say this?
m
l
September 6, 2012 9:30:57 AM

It says this on the Program when you click the play button, it then goes into a testing windows thing with FPS and things, then after 30 seconds or so it says that error on the testing bar.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:10:48 PM

I just had a look at OCCT again as I have not used it for a while and yes it is your CPU overheating as the default settings are to stop the test if any CPU core goes over 85C. This is very worrying as you are running the graphics card stress test not the CPU stress test so your CPU seems to be overheating at low usage levels. This is not likely the cause of all your problems. What temperature does OCCT say you CPU and core temps are at before you even start the test?
It looks like you need to sort out your CPU cooling the 1st thing to try is to remove the cooler, clean off the old thermal paste, apply new thermal paste and reinstall it. If you do not have any thermal paste you could just buy a new cooler that comes with the paste.
m
l
September 6, 2012 7:21:26 PM

My CPU is about 45 Degrees before I start the test. Thanks it's good to know because i have acutally taken the stock cooler off before to clean dust but I never had thermal paste to reapply it on. Im going to order a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, CPU Cooler, 120mm, Black anyway. Ill check the Temps after i get it but i do want to overclock this CPU, but only if the temps stay nice and low. Right?
m
l

Best solution

September 6, 2012 10:16:39 PM

Thats most likely the cause then if you removed the cooler with no new paste. The 212 is a good choice and should allow a good overclock just keep an eye on the temps. I can't remember what the max temp for that CPU is but you should find out with a quick google search same for the max CPU voltage.
September 7, 2012 1:18:07 AM

Best answer selected by DigitalVenom.
m
l