Sign in with
Your question

Guild Wars 2 | Black screen on startup.

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2012 7:59:23 AM

Hello there people!

I recently bought Gw2, and I've had a few problems with it, one more frustrating that the other.

So heres my main problem

When i try to launch the game, 80% of the time it just goes into black screen instead of showing the character selection. Then i have to open the task bar to shut it down and do it all over again until i get ingame.

----

I think i may be because of my new Gigabyte 670 GTX over-clocked edition.

Oh and by the way, this is my first post here on the forums! :) 
September 5, 2012 5:03:54 PM

I've heard people having problems with factory overclocks (I cannot understand why Anet would care about the clocks on your GPU)

So, it's possible that is part of your issue. You could try to underclock it to stock speeds and see if that helps. I know that sounds like a waste, but if that is the real cause then it might be a temporary solution until Anet figures it out from their end.

Another thing is make sure you're on 306.02 drivers, they have optimization for GW2 for 600 series cards.

hmm, that's all I can think of that's simple to examine. It could be a driver conflict if you've upgraded to 660 from something else and didn't remove all the drivers from old GPU completely (but that's a long shot)

You said you had another problem besides the black screen? what is it?
September 6, 2012 9:27:50 AM

I've found the problem, it was the Gigabyte over-clocking program that followed with the card.

When the program is running its impossible to get Guild wars 2 to work, at least on my rig.

Now I'm using afterburner and it works fine with Guild wars 2 :) 
Related resources
September 6, 2012 1:38:50 PM

excellent, great job at figuring it out. If I were you I'd submit a bug report to gigabyte to let them know that their software has a conflict with GW2
Anonymous
September 12, 2012 7:11:49 PM

yes i had the same problem with the gigabyte HD 7970 OC. With the software on GW2 wont run at all.
!